Ditching GoHunt

Addicting

I’ve been a loyal customer for several years and this year I think I’m done.

While the draw data has been great the maps are driving me away.

This year my buddy ran OnX and I used GoHunt. There were several issues on our hunt which led to a fearful visit from the Game Warden. His map showed we were on BLM and mine showed it as private where the antelope died. It in fact was BLM and we were just getting a random check, had us very nervous the way it took place.

Next is my Colorado deer tag, I emailed them this summer telling them there was an error in the unit. None of the private land shows in a large swath. Neighboring units show it but not where I need to hunt. It’s been several months and a couple emails and there is no resolution. They keep emailing me to get me to renew my credit card and I can’t without some sort of resolution. Paying for a premium service that doesn’t work and is not updated isn’t worth it. Not when Onx has a similar product.

Another huge pet peeve is the size of the offline maps I am required to download. Onx gives me several size/resolution options and GoHunt gives me one huge file option. Which means everything has to be done on WIFI or I go over into my restricted data plan. When you only need to know roads and public to traverse an area, I don’t need 900mb of data for a small area. I need a large area with low resolution, which is not an option.

I wish the two companies would merge and make a good product with two divisions focused on their half.

I will echo what was mentioned above. My hunting partner used GoHunt. He said all last year he was done, got sucked back into because of the draw odds.

This year when on our elk hunt his gohunt would constantly freeze causing him to lose his track he was running or any pins he placed. Was constantly having to stop save track and pins and start a new one.

Halfway through the trip, we made it to town and he bought OnX.

I will echo what was mentioned above. My hunting partner used GoHunt. He said all last year he was done, got sucked back into because of the draw odds.

This year when on our elk hunt his gohunt would constantly freeze causing him to lose his track he was running or any pins he placed. Was constantly having to stop save track and pins and start a new one.

Halfway through the trip, we made it to town and he bought OnX.
I've never even used their mapping but the draw odds are overrated imo. Not hard to look it up and I've found them to be wrong on more than one occasion anyhow.

The premium OnX gets you draw odds from Huntin' Fool. I've cross referenced a handful of them with the Idaho F&G and they seem accurate.

I still have both. I used GoHunt maps last year, and this year used OnX again.

I didn't have any notable issues with GoHunt, but this year with OnX, I wasn't able to search coords when hunting. I would get a message from a buddy on coords to meet at after splitting up for a couple of days, and I couldn't search them. Low and behold there was an update when I got back to somewhere with cell service and it worked after that. Still sucked being in the backcountry for 10 days not being able to search coordinates on OnX...

I still have both. I used GoHunt maps last year, and this year used OnX again.

I didn't have any notable issues with GoHunt, but this year with OnX, I wasn't able to search coords when hunting. I would get a message from a buddy on coords to meet at after splitting up for a couple of days, and I couldn't search them. Lo and behold there was an update when I got back to somewhere with cell service and it worked after that. Still sucked being in the backcountry for 10 days not being able to search coordinates on OnX...
Your buddy couldn’t just drop you a pin? The updates are a pain in the ass with OnX though. I feel like they push one out every 3 hours.

Easy enough for a single state now do 8 others. I money ahead paying for the subscription than staring at a screen that long
Fair. It wouldnt be so bad - but every state uses a slightly tweaked shitty dice game for us suckers to lose at too.

Need to join this NR train and apply other places, i guess :)

Buying Onx Elite (multi state) includes the following added free benefits (TopRut draw odds website and HuntnFool online magazine that also posts draw odds and state by state info for the draws. Toprut odds seem perfectly fine to me so I am not wishing I had access to a different draw odds service. The huntinfool piece also includes ability to call them, report a drawn limited tag and you receive a list of names and numbers for guys who have drawn same tag in recent years.

Nothing 'great' about Onx or huntinfool, just sharing the info....

Personally, I like Gaia GPS mapping on my phone the best as far as maps goes, but it is less popular so perhaps not as ideal when hunting and sharing with guys who do not use GAIA GPS

I saw enough really bad unit writeups in my home state during a free trial to know they didn’t need my money. They ranged from simply inaccurate info on habitats to stating seasons were OTC when they were actually a draw

I disagree as someone who applies in 7+ states per year for 'everything'. A draw odds app is invaluable and a huge time saver when you have dozens of hunts to make decisions on.
Agreed. GOHUNT is a very good starting point with filtering 2.0. I usually follow-up on the state site on certain states but that tool alone is valuable to start the research process.

Fair. It wouldnt be so bad - but every state uses a slightly tweaked shitty dice game for us suckers to lose at too.

Need to join this NR train and apply other places, i guess :)
Most the time im chasing odds try for 10 tags at 5% draw odds so I should draw about every other year. I tweak it each year as I get more points so always applying for better units. Try doing that across 9 states without a service such as go hunt

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jachanzar91
Back