Dave N Elk tag fund raiser

Dave, Dave, Dave, it is a saddle, not a seat. I was corrected on that when I complained to our local bike company about my torture device. I bought a gel sea....err saddle pad and that has helped a lot. Still not super comfy, but definite improvement. I usually do around 10-13 miles per day. Legs feel good. Rear end not so much.
Seat, saddle, what the hell ever! All I know is a 2x6 bolted on would feel better! :rolleyes:

I think a rock may be softer as well. Even with the gel pad. One benefit it does have is it makes my truck seat feel oh-so-good.

Kinda keeping track of your progress Dave, you’re doing great. Every mile you ride, every lap around the yard with your sled will pay dividends.
I skimmed through your reports and didn’t see anything about your boots. May have missed it but just in case. Everybody knows you need to break them in. I always figure 30 miles minimum on Kennetreks. During my guiding career I kept seeing one particular boot problem, that was not getting your feet use to being in boots. If you dont wear them regularly, even though they are broke in, get them on, wear them often.

Kinda keeping track of your progress Dave, you’re doing great. Every mile you ride, every lap around the yard with your sled will pay dividends.
I skimmed through your reports and didn’t see anything about your boots. May have missed it but just in case. Everybody knows you need to break them in. I always figure 30 miles minimum on Kennetreks. During my guiding career I kept seeing one particular boot problem, that was not getting your feet use to being in boots. If you dont wear them regularly, even though they are broke in, get them on, wear them often.
Yeah, that's the next thing. My "best" pair are Irish Setters with 600 grams of thinsulate. Too warm for hiking. I have a pair of Rockys with 400 but I don't know about hiking far with them. So I guess I'll be heading to a store to find some new ones. Been told noninsulated would be best and adjust socks as needed. Not doing anything tomorrow without a nascar race so I may just take a 100 mile ride to an actual store. Don't want to order online unless I've actually tried them on first. Yeah, I know, wear my Smartwool socks so they fit right. Need to get some liners as well. Any suggestions on those from the crowd? I'm leaning towards Lowa boots but don't know anything about liners being a Midwestern deer hunter that was home every night! ;)

Yeah, that's the next thing. My "best" pair are Irish Setters with 600 grams of thinsulate. Too warm for hiking. I have a pair of Rockys with 400 but I don't know about hiking far with them. So I guess I'll be heading to a store to find some new ones. Been told noninsulated would be best and adjust socks as needed. Not doing anything tomorrow without a nascar race so I may just take a 100 mile ride to an actual store. Don't want to order online unless I've actually tried them on first. Yeah, I know, wear my Smartwool socks so they fit right. Need to get some liners as well. Any suggestions on those from the crowd? I'm leaning towards Lowa boots but don't know anything about liners being a Midwestern deer hunter that was home every night! ;)

Sucks there's not many options for us to go try good boots on around here. I bought a used pair of zamberlans off rokslide for $125. Like $450 new. They have been good so far.

I have zamberlans and love them. Putting them on makes me feel like hiking... light and supportive.

I’d give Salewa an at bat. Especially if you have wider feet. The Rapace take forever to break in but they climb great.

Before this turns into a boot debate, I've read the threads on here about them. Pretty much decided to try on the Lowa Renegades and see what I think. Don't forget, I don't live where I hike a lot for hunting and may not really NEED a good pair of boots more than once, or twice. No point on me spending $400 when $200 will get just what I need. Yes, I was given money for this hunt but I'm an old farm boy. Get the most bang for my buck and don't buy the farm when you only need a pig! ;) Let me start with these and see what I think. I have an REI about 85 miles away and will go there. I'm more interested on what boot liner socks to look at. Never used them before. And 1 pair or 2?

Before this turns into a boot debate, I've read the threads on here about them. Pretty much decided to try on the Lowa Renegades and see what I think. Don't forget, I don't live where I hike a lot for hunting and may not really NEED a good pair of boots more than once, or twice. No point on me spending $400 when $200 will get just what I need. Yes, I was given money for this hunt but I'm an old farm boy. Get the most bang for my buck and don't buy the farm when you only need a pig! ;) Let me start with these and see what I think. I have an REI about 85 miles away and will go there. I'm more interested on what boot liner socks to look at. Never used them before. And 1 pair or 2?
The boss said he would work on that for you with Kenetrek. The liner is just listed as a liner and is a heavy nylon type sock, it takes up almost no room in the boot and is meant to have a wool over top. Then they have a variety of different temps merino socks to go with. Two liners and maybe three pairs of wools should get you thru this hunt.

I have several new pairs if da boss can’t work out a deal with his sponsor. Or you run out of wearable socks at camp.

So I wear Kenetreks for the last 20 years or there-a-bouts. Hunt either Hells Canyon or the Walla Walla Canyon or flatter ground like the Madison in Montana. All I wear is one pair of liners. Until it gets down around zero and then a pair of wools over the liners. So many different points of view. Guiding in Alaska, I was outta there by late October, pretty much uninsulated kennetreks.
As noted by MT Mulie, once you’re talking Danner or better in boots, they are all high quality. I left a pair of Zamberlans on a Mt. and finished with my worn out Kennetreks. They were not damaged, well broken in but I hadn’t worn them on really tough ground. They simply didn’t fit my feet right. Toe box was too tight.
Dave, I think going to REI is a good step, no pun intended, they train their folks up on how to fit boots. Regardless, get them broke in and then wear them often especially the week or two before your hunt so your feet are use to them.
Keep posting your progress, lot of us really hoping this is a great hunt and adventure for you.

The boss said he would work on that for you with Kenetrek. The liner is just listed as a liner and is a heavy nylon type sock, it takes up almost no room in the boot and is meant to have a wool over top. Then they have a variety of different temps merino socks to go with. Two liners and maybe three pairs of wools should get you thru this hunt.

I have several new pairs if da boss can’t work out a deal with his sponsor. Or you run out of wearable socks at camp.
I have 3 pair of Smartwool now, but may pick up a couple more since the wife took these from me and wore them A LOT and when I checked, the heel area was a bit thin. I can use the old ones for backups and have new for using. They're nice when plowing snow on the ATV, if we get any worth plowing.

Dave go to Walmart and get an extra large Swinn bike seat. Definitely worth the $30. I love mine, it changes a bike ride from being a torture device to a pleasant exercise.

View attachment 334353
I'll keep that in mind. Not going to ride this bike anymore, it was built for my wife and it's just too small. My dad said he has one in the shop I can use and I'll see what that one is like. Thanks for the tip, didn't know they sold seats! (saddles) :rolleyes:

Went over and picked up my dad's bike. Aired up the tires and went for a 6 mile cruise. Seat SEEMS better but things were in need of adjusting on it. Wouldn't shift into high gear and the rear brake was slightly hanging up. I adjusted the cables and sprayed lube at any opening available then took a quick peddle down the road. Much better, seems to be working properly now. Maybe tomorrow. My sled dragging is tougher after not doing it for a little while. I did it a couple days ago when the other bike got the heave-ho and between not doing it because of biking and the rain greening up the grass and softening the ground I could only manage a half hour. I'm hoping that this humidity from all the rain will lighten up before long. It sucks doing an outdoor workout next to a field of 8 foot tall green cornstalks!

My new boots are supposed to get here next Tuesday and I'll start breaking them in and see just how they work for me. Should be fine, I'm pretty easy to please! ;) Changed out my Pro Hunter from .50cal. to my .300mag barrel today. Have to wait until the corn gets picked to have a place to shoot. It's been 12 years since I shot it last! Dang! Also cleaned out my closet and found a few things I had forgotten about. Gun cases (empty), duffel bags, a couple folding chairs, and my old Cabela's Alaskan Guide pack and frame. Wasted money buying that thing, but I did use the frame to carry out someone else's elk quarter on my first hunt in Idaho. Didn't even get a taste! If anyone going on this trip next year wants it I can bring it along. Found a bino harness but no case. Tried rigging it up to the case that came with mine and it will work but it has a velcro closure and I don't like making noise. Might just cut off one side of the velcro and let it hang over. We'll see.

10 miles in 54 minutes flat. Took my numb legs over to my mom's house and did some trimming around the house and sidewalk. Going out to pick beans and tomatoes then it's time for a shower and plop my butt into the Lay-Z-Dave until I make dinner. Supposed to cool off in a couple days and I'll get back to the sled.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clinebj22
Back