PEAX Equipment

Colorado gun case rules for ATV/UTV

npaden

The soft gun case I was using had the zipper go bad and so I was looking for something to replace it and was looking at some of the covers that could be used while backpacking also, but not sure if that would meet the requirements in Colorado if we had one in/on the UTV or ATV.

The regulations say:

"Firearms (except handguns) and bows carried on an OHV must be fully enclosed in a hard or soft case. Firearms (except handguns) must be unloaded while carried on an OHV."

Is something like a Solo Hntr Rifle Cover considered "fully enclosed" It completely covers the rifle but it doesn't have a zipper to actually close it.

What about just a good ol gun sock? I think that would meet the "fully enclosed" definition but I might need to put a twisty tie on the end or something.

Using the larger soft cases that have the zipper works, but it would be nice to switch to something less bulky. The UTV I have does have a gun rack that I think the rifle would fit in if I was using the rifle cover type setup or even a gun sock but the larger zippered soft cases really don't fit.

Just curious if anyone has an answer on this. If no one does I guess I can call the local game warden.

Thanks, Nathan

I like a soft case to keep the rifle clean. Never have been in a rush to shoot when driving from camp to spots to hike or glass. Given that, why all the regulations for ATV/SxS but not pickups?

Really a strange regulation for bows. Without it, are you going to stop your machine and have time to take a shot? I struggle with the reg intent and purpose for a bow.

That said, the case does keep the mud off my bow.

Really a strange regulation for bows. Without it, are you going to stop your machine and have time to take a shot? I struggle with the reg intent and purpose for a bow.

Because you are either driving or hunting. Illegal to do both at same time. #slobhunter.

That's the only reason it makes sense for me!

I've always found it easiest to get the correct answer to a law question by contacting the enforcement division of F&G since they would be the one's writing a ticket if there's a violation.

They're usually very helpful. Good luck hunting and stay safe!

Because you are either driving or hunting. Illegal to do both at same time. #slobhunter.
If you have a loaded rifle, it's a problem, someone could be killed. It is not a problem with a bow, no safety issue whatsoever.

No one grabs a bow bungee corded to an atv, and gets a shot off. Ain't happening.

You still mad because resident bowhunters kept otc licensing led by a shit ton of CBA and resident hunters?

#idiot #afraidofconversation

I've been stopped by a game warden before while on my ATV and he did check my rifle to make sure it was unloaded. I had a plastic, fully enclosed hard case but imagine if he was actively checking my rifle that he was also confirming I had the correct fully enclosed case. There isnt any grey area with using the fully enclosed soft case. I have the solo hunter rifle cover also and asked myself the same question as you, and decided it is a "cover" not a case.

here is grasshopper, again, being a bowhunter complaining about how unfair everything is for bowhunters. color me shocked.

for being the most ethical, righteous, humane, elite, bad azz hunters in the woods you'd think they'd complain less, but that wouldn't be very on brand would it?

#cba #coloradobrohunterassociation

If you have a loaded rifle, it's a problem, someone could be killed. It is not a problem with a bow, no safety issue whatsoever.

No one grabs a bow bungee corded to an atv, and gets a shot off. Ain't happening.

You still mad because resident bowhunters kept otc licensing led by a shit ton of CBA and resident hunters?

#idiot #afraidofconversation
Driving or hunting, which are you doing? Thanks for the thoughtful invitation to veer far from the topic, but:
1726154692421.png

here is grasshopper, again, being a bowhunter complaining about how unfair everything is for bowhunters. color me shocked.

for being the most ethical, righteous, humane, elite, bad azz hunters in the woods you'd think they'd complain less, but that wouldn't be very on brand would it?

#cba #coloradobrohunterassociation
Bowhunters are just folks that aren't strong enough to pull back and load a crossbow.

Ah yes, talk of unneeded regulation with the communists on hunttalk will be dealt with by shaming and 3rd grade name calling...still waiting for a valid reason why a bow needs to be cased on a side by side or atv. Is that a complaint, no it is a discussion about regulations and their validity.

if you have a rifle on an OHV, you stop, uncase it, ya jack one in the chamber from a preloaded mag, and you are good out to a thousand yards. I get the need for a reg = safety for those who illegally have a round chambered and fair chase.

With a bow on an OHV, you stop, get off your machine, unbungee your uncased bow, get your release aid on, get an arrow strung, draw, aim....and ANY big game animal that was within 30 yards ran off the minute you stopped. If you are hunting grouse, you'll probably get a shot. It is not a safety issue, and you'll NEVER get a shot off. I do case my bow, but the reg for bows is unneeded and stupid.

Fwiw, the last 3 years after archery season I've shot cow elk off my deck with a rifle that sits uncased in my home office while the elk are in my front yard on my list B cow tag that I pulled because I'm in the landowner preference program. We have an elk distribution problem in my hood, and I'm a hunter managing the herd. Deck railing makes a super solid rest for an accurate shot and clean kill on a small private parcel. It is not an adventure hunt, it is a freezer filler and conflict reducer. Yep, I rifle hunt.

Elkdud is that a slob hunter, or a hunter doing what they are supposed to do - kill animals and manage herds? Keep preaching ethics on that high perch, and keep casting stones because you are so sinless.

Attachments

• 20240914_072905.jpg
    20240914_072905.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 9
  • 17263248871165807384280324330062.jpg
    17263248871165807384280324330062.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 9
where my worlds smallest violin?

i'll play you a super sad song when i find it.

Can't provide a valid REASON FOR THE bow REG? I'll wait.

I'm not pushing to change the reg, just saying its stupid...like your comments.

i think a lot of regs are stupid. cased bow reg? yeah kinda dumb.

in the end though, writing paragraphs complaining about having to have a bow cased on a utv because you want to romp around and fling arrows at animals 30 yards off an OHV trail is way more stupid.

i can't imagine putting emotional energy or time into that.

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hoping for elk
Back