PEAX Equipment

Gun Case

You cannot use a double rifle case to carry two rifles when flying? I'm looking into buying a good case but was thinking about getting a double case.
Not sure which Pelican I have, but it's a double rifle, and I had no issues flying with it.

Were I flying it'd the pelican 1750 Protector Long Case...about 3 1/2 bills

Go to the specific airline’s website on which you’re planning to fly. Look up oversized baggage dimensions. Usually Length plus Width plus Height has to equal no greater than a certain number. I don’t want to post hyperlinks, but I just read a particular airline’s max baggage dimensions are 62 inches. Another airline’s oversized max is 115 inches. Yes, you will pay extra for oversized baggage. Also a possibility the oversized max of let’s say 115in could be restricted on “express” or “connection” flights. So brand X says you’re good to go? So you’d be good to DEN or SLC….but maybe not into a much smaller destination. This could even vary based on flight schedules. Let’s say an airport is served by brand X 3x daily. The first flight is on a narrowbody (B737, A320, etc) but the next two flights are served by brand X express which may or may not physically carry oversized bags. See where this gets interesting….? Undoubtedly brand X will sell you whatever you want to buy but there you are waiting another day for your luggage….ouch.

Also be sure to check the airline’s firearm policy. I know one in particular will not check firearms at all.

Ultimately what I advise is going with the single case as you’ll have more flying options as opposed to the double.

Another thing. Check your ticket prices before and after the oversized luggage costs on multiple carriers (provided they will actually carry your luggage).

Last edited:
Fwiw

The V770 single case has approximate linear dimensions totaling 72 inches.

The V800 double case has approximate linear dimensions totaling 82 inches.

Well…if my math is correct.

The particular airline that has the max checked bag size of 62inches has a max oversized bag size of 80 inches. That airline however doesn’t have any express carriers of which I am aware.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dulcedom
Back