Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Bowhunters - not a big impact?

The Hedgehog

Ever hear that? It's a bunch of BS.

Check out this sentence in an FWP report I'm reading regarding an antelope unit.

During most years since 2011, the 900-20 license resulted in 30-50% of total harvest across Hunting District XXX. In 2023, it made up 49% of all harvests and 75% of buck harvests.

The 900 permit .. beautiful?

I thought it was higher than a lot of folks expected. Have to admit that I’m blown away by the 75% of bucks number. I’d never guess it was that high.

Check out this sentence in an FWP report I'm reading regarding an antelope unit.

During most years since 2011, the 900-20 license resulted in 30-50% of total harvest across Hunting District XXX. In 2023, it made up 49% of all harvests and 75% of buck harvests.

I wish I had that info available during the commission meeting in the spring, when Commissioner Cebull on a whim proposed to increase the quota range for the 900 permit because "it doesn't impact the resource." When I made my comment, I made the point that we can't just keep increasing permits when residents get mad that they aren't able to draw a permit every year like they could in the past.

That data seems questionable. I'm guessing when it says XXX that HH is trying to avoid posting the specific unit #. So I'm guessing the unit may only have a few rifle tags, so the archery tag made up a larger % of harvest. I can't image those success rates apply to the 500, 600, and 700 zones. Again, FWP's harvest data is so bad there is no way to verify anything.

That data seems questionable. I'm guessing when it says XXX that HH is trying to avoid posting the specific unit #. So I'm guessing the unit may only have a few rifle tags, so the archery tag made up a larger % of harvest. I can't image those success rates apply to the 500, 600, and 700 zones. Again, FWP's harvest data is so bad there is no way to verify anything.
There are a low number of rifle tags, and it's a small unit. The data is best I've seen put together from an FWP biologist, ever. More quoted detail for you:

Total harvest increased about 80% in 2023, compared to 2022. Most of that increase was the result of bucks harvested with the 900-20 archery license.

The 2023 estimated buck harvest resulting from the 900-20 license was XX, which was twice the previous high. That’s likely to come down in the future. If not, continued growth of buck harvest from the 920-20, which is a statewide license, may result in fewer either-sex rifle licenses being available in Hunting District XXX in the future.

There are a low number of rifle tags, and it's a small unit. The data is best I've seen put together from an FWP biologist, ever. More quoted detail for you:
Makes sense. It looks like either they cut rifle tags or eliminate that unit from the 900 tag. it looks like just another sign of the increase in overall hunting pressure on western big game animals.

Just my personal experience, but in 2019 I arrowed a bull that I never recovered. For two months after that I spent over 20 days looking for him and found a total of 5 other dead bulls that I could almost certainly chalk up to archery hunting.
Is ol Deb still one of the wardens for the CMR? One year she told us that they find on average 150-200 dead elk a year in the breaks from arrows. Pretty insane stat if that's real.

I found one this year with a whole arrow right next to him. In the wide open. Found 2 other spikes that day as well.

Do crossbows fall under an archery license? Might explain it.

Obligatory 'crossbows suck ass' comment.

Is ol Deb still one of the wardens for the CMR? One year she told us that they find on average 150-200 dead elk a year in the breaks from arrows. Pretty insane stat if that's real.

I found one this year with a whole arrow right next to him. In the wide open. Found 2 other spikes that day as well.
That's interesting because how many times have we heard people say "that bull or buck will probably survive" after being hit with an arrow and not found soon after?

Just my personal experience, but in 2019 I arrowed a bull that I never recovered. For two months after that I spent over 20 days looking for him and found a total of 5 other dead bulls that I could almost certainly chalk up to archery hunting.
Starting to see this in rifle now that we all the long range super duper snipers out there. Two years ago my buddy and I ran into two guys on a ridge in the Elkhorns in Oregon. They were just standing on a ridge with one gun on sticks and the other getting ready to call shot (s). I asked what they were looking for. " we got two bulls across the canyon waiting for one to step out" they were shooting 338-378 Weatherby. They bulls were 1237 yards away. it was snowing and blowing about 15-20MPh.

I assure as this craziness continues more animals are getting wounded than killed by these type of people. Sad part is I bet they keep shooting till they finally get one.

I dunno maybe just me.

I believe this 100%. Shooting a pronghorn buck with a bow is not that hard. I would even say easy many years.

Unofficial stat but it seems like half the YouTube videos of archery elk hunt end in a loss and/or finding other dead elk.

Starting to see this in rifle now that we all the long range super duper snipers out there. Two years ago my buddy and I ran into two guys on a ridge in the Elkhorns in Oregon. They were just standing on a ridge with one gun on sticks and the other getting ready to call shot (s). I asked what they were looking for. " we got two bulls across the canyon waiting for one to step out" they were shooting 338-378 Weatherby. They bulls were 1237 yards away. it was snowing and blowing about 15-20MPh.

I assure as this craziness continues more animals are getting wounded than killed by these type of people. Sad part is I bet they keep shooting till they finally get one.

I dunno maybe just me.
Long range “hunting” is sick, sad and stupid.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HuntTalkMa’am
Back