Dealing with lead cow elk?

COrookie

After a week of scouting I finally started finding bulls. One in particular isn't too difficult to get to. There are about 7-9 cows, 3-4 calfs, and 2 bulls in this "herd" I've been hunting. 1 bull is confirmed legal, 4x3, and the other I couldn't tell.

Opening day of muzzleloader (Saturday) I saw about 10 other muzzy hunters heading up the mountain, being loud, not wearing orange, and overall being retarded. I backed out and just kept an eye on how the elk respond. Sunday I didn't see them back in the same spot so I glassed another few elk across the valley, harder to get to but possible.

Monday I noticed the elk I was originally on were back. Same pattern as before. Put a stalk on them in the evening and tried to call them in with a cow call since I'm garbage with a bugle. Bulls ended up going crazy with bugles, it was sick, but they got hung up and didn't get close enough.

Today I set up early where they usually come out, but they ended up hitting the meadow higher on the mountain. I tried making a move but noticed a cow who was standing guard. When I was about 250 yards away she started to notice me. I tried going around some features on the mountain as cover but she was always looking right at me. Wind was in my favor, and if it swirled I stayed put. Legal bull was just chilling next to her not giving a damn about anything but his ladies.

Due to this I decided to start calling again, it did put her gaurd down a little. I think I got the Bulls attention but the cow barked, pretty sure it was an alarm call. I swear she was telling the bull to sit down and be quiet. They slowly grazed back to timber where i lost visual. As I was about to move in just under them to call, the wind went crazy. Possibly blew it but not sure.

Either way, how tf do I deal with this cow elk? I don't have a cow tag and I can't just point in the opposite direction and say "what's that?" And sneak by when she looks lol

Lead cow says it all. They run the herd.
Thanks to lead cows I have several generations who come to my water.

The last thing I would do is add barks . Settled feeding elk are huntable.
A alerted herd is looking for which way are we running.

IMHO

I think cow calling when you're in her line of sight is a bad call - it's helping her hone in on your location even better, and when she doesn't see another elk where she's hearing those calls, that puts her on edge. You could try standing a decoy at the bottom of the clearing in their line of sight to put them at ease a little more. Or see where they're feeding out of the clearing into the timber and try to ambush them there, which seems like the better chance to me.

Gotta play the wind, terrain, and eye balls. Sometimes the key is patience. Some times you just have to dive in there. It’s elk hunting!

Good luck and just keep at it till he makes a mistake!
Exactly....! As I said before, the bull isn't leaving his harem so don't bring attention to yourself by calling. Watch the wind and set up for a shot before they come out of the timber. See another one of my PMs. As Dsnow says...watch the wind and all theirs eyes!

Exactly....! As I said before, the bull isn't leaving his harem so don't bring attention to yourself by calling. Watch the wind and set up for a shot before they come out of the timber. See another one of my PMs. As Dsnow says...watch the wind and all theirs eyes!
One does not get many chances, so you got to be proactive, before the herd leaves for better grass or before another hunter moves in on you!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rut
Back