Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Don't look a gift elk in the mouth ( or don't hate me)

First off, congratulations on the elk! Yesterday was rife opener here in MT, so I spent the first hour of legal light on my front porch drinking coffee. Did the same thing this morning. Saw plenty of deer, just nothing that got me excited enough to put my coffee down and grab the rifle.

First year we moved to the farm I shot a deer out the back door.
Felt kind of weird, like it wasn't hunting, not much fun to me. Decided I wouldn't do that anymore.

Totally legal and legit and I'm not hacking on you, just sharing my opinion as someone who has done the same.
Nice freezer full of meat !

First year we moved to the farm I shot a deer out the back door.
Felt kind of weird, like it wasn't hunting, not much fun to me. Decided I wouldn't do that anymore.

Totally legal and legit and I'm not hacking on you, just sharing my opinion as someone who has done the same.
Nice freezer full of meat !
To me it would make a big difference if it was a large buck or bull. In that case not so much my thing but a doe or cow no problem at all.

I quit killing Oregon mule deer 10 years ago. Don't even apply for my landowner tags. Elk are over objective and I don't mind taking one. At 71 this is about the only way I could pull it off with just the two of us. The wife could get one also but we don't need two elk. They're now welcome to finish off my irrigated pasture in peace. That being said sometimes I do have to talk myself into killing one. Getting soft- hearted in my old age but getting the meat always wins out.

"Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick", was mom's second favorite piece of advice I still follow.

I have no issue whatsoever about shooting a legal game animal under any legal conditions. I own the land. I don't need permission to hunt my own land. There's nothing in the regs about what I'm wearing or where I happen to see a game animal be it my front porch or out in the boonies somewhere. I hunt/kill for meat.

Advertisement

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Runolfson
Back