Bowhunters - not a big impact?

Is ol Deb still one of the wardens for the CMR? One year she told us that they find on average 150-200 dead elk a year in the breaks from arrows. Pretty insane stat if that's real.

I found one this year with a whole arrow right next to him. In the wide open. Found 2 other spikes that day as well.
She is not.

Is ol Deb still one of the wardens for the CMR? One year she told us that they find on average 150-200 dead elk a year in the breaks from arrows. Pretty insane stat if that's real.
If this is true, it explains some things. I hope it isn't. mtmuley

Some wild numbers on lost animals to me. I think in my entire life I’ve found 3 bulls with arrows in them. That said most of my hunting has been in country much more heavily timbered than the breaks and eastern MT

All anecdotal observations, however I think archery loss on elk is actually over estimated but I’m sure I’m in the minority opinion on this. Some of the numbers being thrown around seem pretty hard for me to believe.

I think the ops point is that impacts/harvest from archery is not negligible impact like what occasionally you will hear someone throw around. I couldn’t agree more. It wouldn’t surprise me a bit if archery exceed rifle on many metrics including harvests on certain units. It makes Wyomings limited entry system seem a little more simple in terms of game management with archery/rifle permits. (Except in units with type 9 than it’s the same bs.)

It’s unbelievable how big of an impact the 900 tag has. Biologists are absolutely factoring in those harvests and drastically reducing and/or maintaining low general tag opportunities to compensate for archery mortality. There’s a unit in SW MT that allocated 25 e/s permits in 2023. There were 40 buck antelope killed in that unit in 23 on 900 tags. Factor in an easy 50% wound loss and you’re talking 60 bucks killed by 900 tag holders in that unit alone. The biologist could add another 100 e/s permits to that unit if there wasn’t 900 tags. It’s beyond ridiculous.

Time to start ratcheting down on this before general antelope odds are the same as bighorn odds.

Last edited:
I find it interesting people trust these numbers
The OP was citing FWP numbers. The other numbers being thrown around are not verifiable at all. Not disagreeing with you but what numbers are we supposed to trust? Hate to beat the dead horse again but until FWP starts using real data people are going to go off of what they see and hear.

The 900 tag has outlived its original purpose which in my opinion was to provide more “opportunity “ while maintaining low harvests.

Funny. I emailed FWP just last week asking if antelope archery harvest data was collected, and why implement isn’t included in the standard harvest data for that species. I’ve been a little dubious about the amount of those tags they hand out and their increasing popularity while antelope numbers aren’t doing well.

They emailed back a link to the draw result data. I clarified what I was seeking but still haven’t received another response.

The OP was citing FWP numbers. The other numbers being thrown around are not verifiable at all. Not disagreeing with you but what numbers are we supposed to trust? Hate to beat the dead horse again but until FWP starts using real data people are going to go off of what they see and hear.

The 900 tag has outlived its original purpose which in my opinion was to provide more “opportunity “ while maintaining low harvests.
I know a lot of those numbers where guesses but why would we even trust fwp with their numbers until it’s mandatory I won’t believe anything

I know a lot of those numbers where guesses but why would we even trust fwp with their numbers until it’s mandatory I won’t believe anything
I was especially dejected looking at data collected by another state and they had a “satisfaction” rating per unit they collected. Whereas we don’t have a real idea as to many critters are getting killed or how they’re being killed.

I’d be interested to know what’s getting killed during the muzzleloader season, for example.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rut
Back