Bowhunters - not a big impact?

Just for clarity. Shooting a antelope with a compound is not that hard. With a recurve it's damm hard. With a compound it's really not any harder than rifle hunting if you know what going on.
My last buck hunt I got into bow range of 3 bucks in 6 days, got into rifle range of a dozen or so in 2 days, I must disagree with you. This was in broken land in Wy, there's spots of SE Colorado where getting into muzzy range is damn near impossible it's so damn flat. Pronghorn, imo, is definitely easier with a Rifle

There's jerks with rifles and there's jerks with bows. I work in a butcher shop and see by far more crappy rifle shot stuff then I do bow shot stuff. Which I do skin and clean alot more rifle kills. But most stuff shot with a bow that shows up is a good shot. Which I know that don't account for the guys that wound numerous animals. But if everyone was completely honest I don't think rifle hunt stats would be much better
You don’t see the stuff in a butcher shop that dies days later because you can’t jack another shell in a shoot it again fairly easily with a bow.

You don’t see the stuff in a butcher shop that dies days later because you can’t jack another shell in a shoot it again fairly easily with a bow.
That's true! My point being how much is out there that gets wounded with a rifle to, judging off all the poor ass rifle shots I see. I think it's more than most guys are willing to admit. I'm not here to say rifle hunters wound as many as some bowhunters but I truly thinks it's more then most care to admit

There's jerks with rifles and there's jerks with bows. I work in a butcher shop and see by far more crappy rifle shot stuff then I do bow shot stuff. Which I do skin and clean alot more rifle kills. But most stuff shot with a bow that shows up is a good shot. Which I know that don't account for the guys that wound numerous animals. But if everyone was completely honest I don't think rifle hunt stats would be much better
Did you mean to express that game wounded by archers don't get recovered as frequently as game wounded by rifles, so they don't show up at the processer? A google search will provide statistics from studies, not estimates, indicating up to 50% of arrow-shot big game is not recovered. Meaning most reports of archery harvest are half of actual animals #s killed by archers, per those studies.

Did you mean to express that game wounded by archers don't get recovered as frequently as game wounded by rifles, so they don't show up at the processer? A google search will provide statistics from studies, not estimates, indicating up to 50% of arrow-shot big game is not recovered. Meaning most reports of archery harvest are half of actual animals #s killed by archers, per those studies.
Yes and I also think there's bowhunters that are a whole lot more careful than most other hunters with their shots. But the rest of the guys out there that don't practice like they should and taking iffy shots they make the whole lot look bad

I shot him at 50 about 45 seconds prior to that and also double lunged him. 115 was a insurance arrow he was standing there dead.
Lol i was wondering.

You dont strike me as the "long range archer" types.

This is exactly why i like practicing further with a bow/rifle than i intend to shoot. Id shoot at 1000+ at something i wounded and was trying to get down.

Never wounded anything with a rifle.

I would quit if those were my percentages and I would hope others too. Care to provide a link to the studies?

I would quit if those were my percentages and I would hope others too. Care to provide a link to the studies?
Some mentioned by this person.

It wouldn’t surpise me what is it like 10% success rate on elk? So a guy kills one and wounds one every 5 years to get a punched tag at 10% for a lot of people probably not a stretch

My last buck hunt I got into bow range of 3 bucks in 6 days, got into rifle range of a dozen or so in 2 days, I must disagree with you. This was in broken land in Wy, there's spots of SE Colorado where getting into muzzy range is damn near impossible it's so damn flat. Pronghorn, imo, is definitely easier with a Rifle
Absolutely ,terrain is an issue and big flats make it tough for bows or open sight rifles. Requires uses different tactics. But most of my friends that shoot antelope with today's compound are doing it effectively out 100 yds. Getting within 100 yds rutting antelope is typically very difficult.

Keep this on track dubz
View attachment 336707

Why you posting selfies, keep it on track

Absolutely ,terrain is an issue and big flats make it tough for bows or open sight rifles. Requires uses different tactics. But most of my friends that shoot antelope with today's compound are doing it effectively out 100 yds. Getting within 100 yds rutting antelope is typically very difficult.

Is 100 yards effective or ethical though? That turns an arrow's flight time into seconds. What if the animal moves? Why can't they wait for a better shot opportunity, like countless people do on countless hunts?

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jyoder
Back