Bowhunters - not a big impact?

All anecdotal observations, however I think archery loss on elk is actually over estimated but I’m sure I’m in the minority opinion on this. Some of the numbers being thrown around seem pretty hard for me to believe.

I think the ops point is that impacts/harvest from archery is not negligible impact like what occasionally you will hear someone throw around. I couldn’t agree more. It wouldn’t surprise me a bit if archery exceed rifle on many metrics including harvests on certain units. It makes Wyomings limited entry system seem a little more simple in terms of game management with archery/rifle permits. (Except in units with type 9 than it’s the same bs.)
Maybe anecdotal but I do personally know a guy that shot and lost 5 bulls in one season - in one drainage in the Gallatin canyon 2 decades ago. The numbers and quality there is night and day 20 years later. Archery hunters kill a lot of animals, especially when you throw in the collateral damage.

I was especially dejected looking at data collected by another state and they had a “satisfaction” rating per unit they collected. Whereas we don’t have a real idea as to many critters are getting killed or how they’re being killed.

I’d be interested to know what’s getting killed during the muzzleloader season, for example.
It’s 0 for muzzy they aren’t a valid animal during that seaoson or I would try and hunt them with it instead of during the rifle rush

Not sure what would

Yeah - But imagine if WY had a damn statewide archery only permit almost guaranteed for residents. THAT would absolutely NOT be the case.
I agree.
We do have type 9 tags that limit archers to bows only and that harvest % is as high as 50% in some areas. Limit the options and hunters are more likely to focus and harvest.

Long range “hunting” is sick, sad and stupid.
It can be. Some of us are capable and we can take longer shots with great success. Some of us wound animals less than you guys. I would never shoot a 1200 yard shot with 15 mph wind. I only take ethiical shots I know I can make. My grouping at 600 yards is a heart shot every time. I get as close as I can but sometimes the long shot is the answer. I wouldn’t say we are stupid.

It can be. Some of us are capable and we can take longer shots with great success. Some of us wound animals less than you guys. I would never shoot a 1200 yard shot with 15 mph wind. I only take ethiical shots I know I can make. My grouping at 600 yards is a heart shot every time. I get as close as I can but sometimes the long shot is the answer. I wouldn’t say we are stupid.

Long range, short range, medium range, as long as you take an ethical shot they're all valid ways to hunt. There is far more that can go wrong at long range to be fair though, and it takes far more skill than a lot of the people that attempt it have. If you can look yourself in the mirror and say you're doing right by that animal taking those shots and have the skill and equipment needed to do it, I wouldn't worry about people's opinions man. They're like assholes, everyone has one and a lot of them stink.

Maybe anecdotal but I do personally know a guy that shot and lost 5 bulls in one season - in one drainage in the Gallatin canyon 2 decades ago. The numbers and quality there is night and day 20 years later. Archery hunters kill a lot of animals, especially when you throw in the collateral damage.
There's jerks with rifles and there's jerks with bows. I work in a butcher shop and see by far more crappy rifle shot stuff then I do bow shot stuff. Which I do skin and clean alot more rifle kills. But most stuff shot with a bow that shows up is a good shot. Which I know that don't account for the guys that wound numerous animals. But if everyone was completely honest I don't think rifle hunt stats would be much better

With the new 100 yard slides on bows... I would gather a deer has at least double the reaction time to the hushed (though not hushed enough) thump of an arrow released. I've not shot with the slide though is there an experienced intent to raise the poi and lead the shot a tad or is it negligible?

With the new 100 yard slides on bows... I would gather a deer has at least double the reaction time to the hushed (though not hushed enough) thump of an arrow released. I've not shot with the slide though is there an experienced intent to raise the poi and lead the shot a tad or is it negligible?
Thats one thing that fascinates me.

The number of people i know that have shot an antelope at 70, 80, 90 + far exceeds the number of people that have got one at 20, 30, 40. Kinda wild - considering how small and fast they are.

That 900 tag would be better if it were traditional arch equipment only.

Thats one thing that fascinates me.

The number of people i know that have shot an antelope at 70, 80, 90 + far exceeds the number of people that have got one at 20, 30, 40. Kinda wild - considering how small and fast they are.

That 900 tag would be better if it were traditional arch equipment only.
I double lunged a bull at 115 one day never found the arrow it kept on trucking

There's jerks with rifles and there's jerks with bows. I work in a butcher shop and see by far more crappy rifle shot stuff then I do bow shot stuff. Which I do skin and clean alot more rifle kills. But most stuff shot with a bow that shows up is a good shot. Which I know that don't account for the guys that wound numerous animals. But if everyone was completely honest I don't think rifle hunt stats would be much better

Kinda supports the increased wounding loss theory, no? More dead critters with sub-optimal hits with rifles, versus walking wounded/dead w/bows.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rut
Back