Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Biden positive for Covid 19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair points ..but many of the deniers are older, so their education was years ago. And in many rural areas, there is fear created by small but very vocal anti science groups that has begun to affect teachers and curriculum. They run very poorly educated people for school boards, show up in large numbers to intimidate. I do think it's better in suburban/urban areas but good teachers, board members, and administrators are getting out of the field in rural areas.
I have never met a person who was an anti-vaxxer because the failed to fully understand the reverse transcriptase enzyme at the heart of RNA viruses. They are anti-vaxxers because they learned to distrust the public facing scientists and regulators who have made many mistakes (which is unavoidable, science is never 100% certain) but failed to own up to those mistakes and be held accountable for those mistakes. Where is the accountability for the questionable science that said drug addiction was caused by a refusal to provide necessary pain medications and that the solution was to flood society with painkillers and trust folks would know when/how to use them? Where is the accountability for folks that dramatically overstated the real value of paper masks and created a cultural schism over that misplace directive? Where is the accountability for the folks that said trans fats were healthier than animal fats? I could go on for pages.

We don't need to educate people about STEM, we need to have those entrusted with our STEM systems to be clear, apolitical, humble, and accountable.

Actual about a 17% chance (vs 70% for DJT) if you want to bet money. Oddly, the betting market changed dramatically, but the polls haven't. Maybe explainable if you think everyone just bets their tribe at this point. People thinking they can at least win a little money if their guy loses.
Polls are slower than betting odds.

This is why the only candidate that can replace Biden is Harris. If the D's pick anyone other than Harris the R's will quickly label that person as the "smoke filled back room deal" candidate and the party could be viewed as not trusting the will of the voters. The Biden issue should have been dealt with a long time ago.
Most likely going to be Harris/Biden now. That way they can still use Bidens campaign cash. Still going to lose, but few options are left at this point. Down ballot is what they are trying to salvage now. Will it work? Time will tell.

Do you mean people who don’t believe in any vaccines, or only the Covid vaccines? If the latter, then probably don’t lump them in with a flat Earthers.

The debate over covid origins, governments’ responses to covid, and whether the vaccine should be mandatory, were all complex issues but hindsight has helped those who actually want to learn. By the way, during covid up there in Canada things got a little spicy didn’t they? Maybe you were affected by that.

Good thing is that now, most people can or should be able to have a rational discussion. Until Buzz and his junior high clown emojis show up.

I think you can't really pick and choose what vaccines to believe in personally. Covid was a unprecedented event in our lifetimes, and the response to be able to develop a vaccine so quickly was a medical breakthrough. Tinfoil hat conspiracy theorists saw that medical breakthrough as the next thing to harp on, and it led to the death of millions. So yes, I believe the flat earthers and 5G weirdos were at the root of it.

Do I think all the governments responded correctly? Nope, I don't. In Canada it did get heated, with the Coutts blockade in my own province, and the Freedom convoy idiots. If we had a better PM than Trudeau that could've been avoided. But something had to be done to protect those vulnerable. It was handled the wrong way. But selfish people made it about them, not realizing all of society was asked to sacrifice for the greater good. Wearing a mask was not an unreasonable ask when there was no vaccine. Do I think vaccines should be mandatory? No, I believe in body autonomy. But I also believe that some sectors should be able to omit people based on that to protect others. Main reason I got the vaccines and kept up with boosters is that my grandpa, who I'm very close with, has Stage 4 lung cancer. Anything I can do to not kill him is good with me. Should he have to be exposed to a non vaxxed, non masked 'truther' at the hospital while getting treatment? How is that fair to him?

At this point, it is what it is, and I'll never put a mask on again, I've done my part, and will continue to do so with the boosters if needed. But I have a hard time feeling bad for those who believed all the 'theories' and will now suffer the consequences if they get it.

As for the actual topic of this thread, hope Biden is alright as covid at his age is no joke. But its now the perfect time to replace him.

Most likely going to be Harris/Biden now. That way they can still use Bidens campaign cash. Still going to lose, but few options are left at this point. Down ballot is what they are trying to salvage now. Will it work? Time will tell.
If they do the timing right, it can be Harris/Anybody. Biden does not need to remain on the ticket for the contributions to follow.

FWIW - mRNA vaccines are a boon to human health and will pay great dividends for generations to come. They can be much more quickly adapted to new threats and much more easily scaled for need. Nothing is more important to me than my family and we are all fully vaxxed and boosted with no concerns. I actually made sure we got the mRNA form over the adenovirus version for a number of geeky science reasons that would be hard to explain on HT thread.

On one hand it's a blessing to be a lucky free country citizen, where you can scour the internet and grasp only that which conforms to your personal ideology and whatever your attitude about medical science, the judicial system, law enforcement or whatever. On the other hand ... it's a shame that so much skewed, irrational information is grasped and perpetuated.
Covid attitude and vaccine acceptance or rejection, with freedom to decide personally, obviously is a lightning rod.
'Seems to boil down to a personal perspective, but what I've learned is that hospitals cite the numbers of Covid related deaths are exponentially suffered by the unvaccinated.
Mom, who lived to 101 yrs of age, was a regular at the clinic and her doctor's office, consistently adhering to medical advice and fully vaccinated.
Polio vaccine for me as a tot ... no polio. Tetanus shot after the rusty nail wound ... no tetanus. Antibiotics for infection ... infection went away. Vaccine gun blow to my shoulder prior to deployment to Vietnam ... no malaria or other SE Asia ailment. Shingles shot ... no shingles. Full Covid vaccination, with boosters, for wife and me ... no Covid ever.
Anecdote: A friend visited from Maryland who contracted Covid while in Montana. He infected about ten of the fifteen of us who met for a social reunion. Wife & I took him home and nursed him for days until he could get on the plane and return to Maryland, where he continued to suffer from the Covid for weeks. Wife & I vaccinated ... remarkably NO COVID!

Believe what you wish or simply put head in sand ... ignorance is a freedom.
Different experiance very greatly. My grandfather died from covid according to his death certificate even though he had late stage copd multiple open heart surgeries and many other health issues he was on hospice before covid and after he got it and tested negative still listed covid as his death.

My father in law got the jab and the boosters never got covid when some around him did but 6months after he was having clotting issues in his heart if he hadn't got the shot and had covid it definitely would have been covid that caused it but since he is vaxxed there is no way it's the vaxx. Still dealing with the clotting issues

That said it's great living in a free country and they luckly never forced the vaxx and let people make there own decision just to bad some get so emotional about it

Not that much slower.
Both suffer from selection bias (as do elections). The bettors are very small motivated subgroup. The polls only can reflect those that answer a phone call from a stranger. And elections can only reflect those that bother to vote. These are three different groups, with some overlap, but not fully enough given the slim margins of modern presidential elections.

Actual about a 17% chance (vs 70% for DJT) if you want to bet money. Oddly, the betting market changed dramatically, but the polls haven't. Maybe explainable if you think everyone just bets their tribe at this point. People thinking they can at least win a little money if their guy loses.
538 still has Biden winning in more computer models than he loses... I hope he recovers quickly. I hope Trump's ear heals quickly too. I'm trying to spend less time with the news these days, for my own sanity. Making music and fishing as much as I can!

Both suffer from selection bias (as do elections). The bettors are very small motivated subgroup. The polls only can reflect those that answer a phone call from a stranger. And elections can only reflect those that bother to vote. These are three different groups, with some overlap, but not fully enough given the slim margins of modern presidential elections.
Footnote on one article said Trump voters are 34% more likely to engage in betting. So there is that factor too.
Math is hard.

Footnote on one article said Trump voters are 34% more likely to engage in betting. So there is that factor too.
Math is hard.
80% say the Dems will still parrot Godwin'isms. Safe bet?

Hope the president, if he's really sick, goes to pasture and enjoys his grifted emoluments.

Post 35.... 🤡
Good lord, no wonder you’ve been booted from so many sites.

Nobody is saying Covid wasn’t real. The info about the vax and its “effectiveness”, mandating shots, the censoring of correct info, etc is what pisses people off.

Just the fact of saying ivermectin or any alternatives being not viable says a lot. Same with wanting to hide the “studies” for 75 years.

Amazing to me the people who stick up for or forgot all the crap that went on during Covid.

Last edited:
FWIW - mRNA vaccines are a boon to human health and will pay great dividends for generations to come. They can be much more quickly adapted to new threats and much more easily scaled for need. Nothing is more important to me than my family and we are all fully vaxxed and boosted with no concerns. I actually made sure we got the mRNA form over the adenovirus version for a number of geeky science reasons that would be hard to explain on HT thread.
I agree that Operation Warp Speed was a major success for the country and world.
I have never met a person who was an anti-vaxxer because the failed to fully understand the reverse transcriptase enzyme at the heart of RNA viruses. They are anti-vaxxers because they learned to distrust the public facing scientists and regulators who have made many mistakes (which is unavoidable, science is never 100% certain) but failed to own up to those mistakes and be held accountable for those mistakes. Where is the accountability for the questionable science that said drug addiction was caused by a refusal to provide necessary pain medications and that the solution was to flood society with painkillers and trust folks would know when/how to use them? Where is the accountability for folks that dramatically overstated the real value of paper masks and created a cultural schism over that misplace directive? Where is the accountability for the folks that said trans fats were healthier than animal fats? I could go on for pages.

We don't need to educate people about STEM, we need to have those entrusted with our STEM systems to be clear, apolitical, humble, and accountable.

I'm thankfully married to a valedictorian Dr. of Pharmacy that has worked in the hospital her entire career. Did cancer research in college, very, very smart as Trump would say lol....

Lots of smart people out there that can interpret unbiased statistical data from research articles. Unfortunately, the whole thing was so politicized, as you mentioned above the average American is left holding the bag wondering which way is up. Scientist get bought out and information is suppressed to a point you have to have a PHD to have the ability to interpret the truth data.

I think most of the smart trustworthy people I know in the medical field would never tell someone with absolute certainty there is one best way to handle the vaccine. It comes down to many factors (current health condition, age, co-morbidity, contact with high risk, ect, ect.). My wife saw doctors on both sides of the isle re-gurgitation what they heard on their favorite news channel, and it really frustrated her. What happened to respecting studies published in medical journals and being able to ask questions.

I'm trying to earn a clown award :)

That said it's great living in a free country and they luckly never forced the vaxx and let people make there own decision just to bad some get so emotional about it
Never forced the vaxx? Unless you wanted to keep your job, pay your bills, go to school, travel, etc…. etc….
I guess they didn’t tackle people and force it into their arm but it was forced on many people in other ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back