Backcountry hunting mentor

perma

Alright, I hate that my life has come to this but I’m making a dating profile here. Please feel free to make this thread a joke and put some smiles on the forum’s face, but there is some sincerity to this.

I’ve hunted for 14 years of my life, all of which was either cabin or truck camping. I want to start backpack hunting. My goal is to hunt the Yellowstone border in WY one day. Not so much for the bull score size but just because it’s a place I want to be, amongst other places.

To be clear; this is not about getting the biggest bull or whatever. It’s strictly because I want to do it.

“Well why don’t you just go alone,” you may ask. I could, and probably should, but I learn better by shadowing. And it’ll be nicer to pack a bull out with 2+ people rather than one.

Looking for a mentor and someone that’s willing to burn an OTC tag, turkey tag or whatever, fishing trip, etc. I have all the gear to do it and I regularly use it even for truck hunts.

Llamas or horses aren’t out of the question, or backpacking in with minimal stuff is fine as well. Open to whatever. If this doesn’t go anywhere, I’ll have to hire a guide, and that’s boring.

2025 would be fine, but I’m planning for 2026, I have a house to buy next year, and I should be present and not in a grizzley’s digestive track to sign the paperwork.

Meme away!

You're probably on the right track with a backcountry turkey or fishing trip. You'll learn everything except backcountry butchering of big game on either of those. It's hard for most folks to carve out time Sept - Nov.

Best way to get a hunting partner is lots of points to pool. Just sayin'...

But if you do have acquaintances who have draw tags just going along to be a spotter will help you make the switch to remote hunting on Western game. After growing up doing day hunts I found just summer backpacking, combined with a trail running training regimen made me more confident in actually hunting with a backpack.

Where I really found my best hunting partners was on the Archery 3D range. Shooting with someone who may or may not be having a great day really told me what their hunting mindset was, and gave me more insight into their coping with success and failure looks like.

Perma, I've seen you around. Give more details on where home is (at least state and region). Trading hunts with other folks seems to be an equitable exchange.

Perma, I've seen you around. Give more details on where home is (at least state and region). Trading hunts with other folks seems to be an equitable exchange.
I’m a WY resident. So we can go into the wildy with a tag……..

I’m such a floozie throwing that out there… lol

Also as a disclaimer; it doesn’t have to be my tag. It can be yours and I’m the glasser. I absolutely love glassing and spend absurd stupid money on hood glass. It’s my favorite thing about hunting rather than planning.

What’s your hunt plan? Did you get your waypoints from Hank yet? Done any scouting?

View attachment 339023
I deleted my comments since I felt like I was being rude. Apologies.

I’m parking at iron gate. 6.2 mile hike in. Have a pack service on standby in the rare event I manage to be successful. It will mainly be a lot of miles daily in hopes of finding success. My whitetail experience will most likely not translate to the elk woods. Should be fun

I deleted my comments since I felt like I was being rude. Apologies.

I’m parking at iron gate. 6.2 mile hike in. Have a pack service on standby in the rare event I manage to be successful. It will mainly be a lot of miles daily in hopes of finding success. My whitetail experience will most likely not translate to the elk woods. Should be fun
Sounds like you have a solid plan I’d be more focused on how to find elk in general. What’s the season dates?

Sounds like you have a solid plan I’d be more focused on how to find elk in general. What’s the season dates?
I’m afraid I’m paralysis by analysis at this point. I keep telling myself to be flexible because my plan will most likely change when there. Oct 12-16. Hopefully they will be vocal enough to locate them dudes

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishonfleek
Back