44hunter45's 2024 backcountry Idaho Moose semi-live hunt thread.

Walking without a cane today. As long as I don't do anything stupid I'm on pace to be saddle ready by September 30.

I talked to the outfitter about 20 minutes yesterday working out last minute details. Arrival dates, gear lists etc. We set expectations on what I consider a shooter on day one vs day 10. The season officially opened Friday 8/30. He believes it would be a random thing if any of the four other tag holders shot a bull early. They are taking in elk hunters now.
He agreed that they would pack out any other kills I make at no additional fee. He is having me exchange my regular tag for a Whitetail tag. I will be at the IDFG office in Lewiston on Tuesday. It could get sticky because the Whitetail tag archery season is open. Not a huge deal, but he didn't want me to see a toad WT after the Regular tag season ends November 3rd.

I got my load dialed in Thursday evening. 250 Speer Grand Slam at 2900FPS out the muzzle. Vihtavuori N550 is the secret sauce. She is a little spicy with this load, but still less than a 12 gauge turkey load. I would laugh at my 338 brethren, but this bullet has the BC of a brick. T-Rex medicine at 100 yards, Whitetail medicine at 500 yards. At 450 it's 1800 FPS and 2000 ft/lbs. Speer says the Grand Slam minimum reliable expansion velocity is 1700 fps. I'm a 400 yard max game shooter, so NBD.

I spent yesterday prepping brass for a bigger run. I will shoot out to 500 for drops this week and get my dope printed and taped to the stock.

That pile of brass will get thinned down to about 60-80 matched by weight. I will do the same for my hoard of bullets. In the "weird hunting rituals" department, I've been hoarding a brick of Norma LR Magnum primers for about 8 years waiting for the day I could make these loads. OCD at its finest.

View attachment 338688View attachment 338689
You know it only takes one! ;)

As a buddy who loads his own says, "Trigger pulls the truth". I can't take credit for that line though it's very fitting. 🙂

Reminds me of the scene in Blackhawk Down.

c801e747-e226-412b-8981-2ae1c5b92b77_text.gif

I can't find one that doesn't turn me purple below the knee. Chunky legs are a fact of my genetics. All those squats I did as a kid are biting back now.

Most recently tried the ones with velcro. As loose as I can wear them, they still cut off my circulation.

I am really intrigued with @Dsnow9 K tape option. I may have to go to the Othro's staff trainer or PT to learn how to apply it.
image.jpg
I hyperextended mine last year hiking out that stupid abandoned broken game cart on top of my full camp pack. With the shattered knee cap years ago and not taking any time off work it still bothers me a bit. The kt tape is a game changer. I have the tan lines to prove I’ve been wearing it a lot.

That kt tape can be a amazing but man it hurts like hell to peel off at times

That kt tape can be a amazing but man it hurts like hell to peel off at times
I shave down the area first. Sticks for longer and doesn’t hurt as bad when you pull it off. Rock tape extra sticky has been lasting about a week for me before the corners start to come off. Kt brand is usually 3-4 days. And the cheap no name brands last about a day.

I shave down the area first. Sticks for longer and doesn’t hurt as bad when you pull it off. Rock tape extra sticky has been lasting about a week for me before the corners start to come off. Kt brand is usually 3-4 days. And the cheap no name brands last about a day.
It was Rock tape I had and I took a insanely hot shower to help remove it I could see shaving helping

IMG_3487.pngIMG_3486.pngIMG_3485.pngI can't find one that doesn't turn me purple below the knee. Chunky legs are a fact of my genetics. All those squats I did as a kid are biting back now.

Most recently tried the ones with velcro. As loose as I can wear them, they still cut off my circulation.

I am really intrigued with @Dsnow9 K tape option. I may have to go to the Othro's staff trainer or PT to learn how to apply it.

@Dsnow9, is that tape job just to stabilize your previously injured kneecap, or are there other benefits?
It’s to stabilize the hyper extended knee from last year. The knee cap is an old surgery (shattered knee cap) that probably caused other minor damage when that happened and had a slight minuscus tear a couple years ago. So the ol compounding injuries just make it a whole lot more enjoyable to tape it up. It just gives a little bit more stability and helps the knee track correctly without reducing mobility.

I have worn it off and on since last fall but with my job I am constantly putting it through the wringer so have it taped most of the time.

@Dsnow9 Do I need to get a trainer to teach me exactly how to apply it? I see a lot of online pics with your pattern.

Mostly off the cane now. Using it to be careful of re-injury more than support. I can very nearly lock out the knee now.

@Dsnow9 Do I need to get a trainer to teach me exactly how to apply it? I see a lot of online pics with your pattern.

Mostly off the cane now. Using it to be careful of re-injury more than support. I can very nearly lock out the knee now.
YouTube. Kt tape knee.

I would shave the area first

No tape today. Did about 4 miles. Traced it with OnX "snap to" on the USFS road. 2.6 miles and 400ft vertical. Didn't have Garmin or OnX tracking so not 100% sure. Killed my first grouse of the year. That is all I saw today. I heard quite a few up in the timber but not ready to stress the knee that much. Happy to have a successful outing.

I forgot my light, so coming out in the dark was an exercise in keeping my knees bend and feeling my way down the road. I did not want to hyper-extend it again.

First test run of my Eberlestock "Mini-Me". Tiny day pack. Has hydration, a couple of pockets, and a built-in bird bag. You can molle attach any of their scabbards. I used the bolt action scabbard for my BPS 12 gauge. You can see it in the picture coming out between the shoulder straps. Total weight with 3 liters of water, shotgun, and shells is 15ish pounds.

It takes some practice but you can carry it magazine full/chamber empty, pull it and rack a shell in time to sluice a bird. I do not trust any safety enough to carry a 12 gauge loaded with the muzzle pert near the top of my butt crack.

The bird bag stows in a pocket at the bottom of the pack. You pull it out and it has two snaps that clip to the D rings.
IMG_3922[1].JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishonfleek
Back