Advertisement

Dealing with cows

Well since I got a lot more responses than I thought, the update is the fence is built, and I'm currently getting ready to shovel some shit away from the fire ring. Once that's done I'm gonna put up a "no cows allowed" sign and then go glass a nearby spot I got marked on the map.

I blame this thread for creating bad ‘cow karma’

My view yesterday morning … thankfully it was only a one-nighter. Need to remember caution tape and a ladder.

Screenshot 2024-09-16 at 08.23.48.png

Got and set up camp about a week early for scouting, hunting muzzy season here in Colorado. Woke up this morning, was gonna be a chill day just driving some roads, getting to know the unit, figuring out trailheads and access points to spots I e-scouted, but there was a bunch of cows in camp. Picture attached. I've been spending all morning thinking if I should move camp locations. Downside is, all camping in the area is designated, so I can't just set up anywhere, the location is good and central to all the spots I plan on hunting, and it's about to rain so breaking down, finding a new spot, and setting up may be a bit of a endeavor. Is the general recommendation to leave? Can I cow proof this spot? What experiences do you have with this kinda stuff? The cows individually are docile but I'd hate for them to stampede me. Idk if I'm overthinking this but any recommendations on how to deal with it would be appreciated.
I can't offer any advice, but I noticed the one in the middle has poop all over his backside. The smell might be helping to cover your scent. Maybe the elk will come visit. Good Luck !!

I blame this thread for creating bad ‘cow karma’

My view yesterday morning … thankfully it was only a one-nighter. Need to remember caution tape and a ladder.

View attachment 340426
I made a fence out of rope and they seem to be respecting it. They just go around the site when they pass by. They still like to walk up at night see what you're cooking tho but just shoe them off gently.

All designated sites in this area have fire rings, I think they were eating the charcoal.
They definitely like the ashes in a fir pit, so not having a fire might help. I guess they like the mineral content. One time after eating the ashes the cattle decided to lick my tent, cow slobber embedded with ashes all over, what a mess. At least they didn't break down the tent.

Several years ago we were backpacking and had a young bull moose come right into our campsite to eat the ashes in the firepit. Chased him and he showed up again 10 mins later and wouldn't leave. Ended up moving our tents so he wouldn't get caught up in them in the dark.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rut
Back