Kenetrek Boots

4 year olds with guns

A friend shot and killed her dad. That falls into the bad category and is pretty much why there is an age limit. Yes, adults do stupid things too, but kids often don't have the attention span nor experience to keep safe.

rg

RobG, fair enough, there's one. Problem is, if she was a youngster, the father was the one at fault for not being right with her and not seeing that she kept control of her muzzle. That is the responsibility of adults who take a new hunter afield no matter what their age. Sadly a high price was paid for his lack of diligence in that case.
I have never found properly instructed kids over the age of about 6-7 to have any less attention span than my adult friends. In fact, I would go on to say in my experience there is no one with a keener attention level than a bright 8-10 year old.They really bear down on whatever their interests are!
None the less facts are facts and you did bring up one instance of mishap with youth hunters and I thank you.

TLC---You might want to check your facts before you start your spiel next time since you don't even know what your own state of Illinois has under the Apprentice Program to be chastizing someone from MI. What you underlined in your post has nothing to do with the Illinois Apprentice Program and is strictly the rule for that youth hunt. Here is your Illinois Apprentice Law that is good for one year only:

Illinois Apprentice Hunter License Program Expanded To Include Non-Residents:
The following useful information is from an IDNR press release issued 7/18/08.
Apprentice hunting licenses allow youngsters ages 10 to 17 to go hunting with a parent, grandparent or guardian who has a valid Illinois resident hunting license.
Individuals 18 and older will also be able to buy an apprentice license, then hunt with any family member or friend who is a licensed Illinois resident hunter.
Apprentice hunting licenses are available through vendors with online licensing terminals, and do not require completion of an ILDNR Hunter Safety course. Illinois Apprentice hunting licenses are valid for only one year, and cannot be renewed.

PS: Nobody, including myself, is espousing having a 6 year old out on the mountains in Montana!

Last edited:
How many people want to be in the woods with a bunch of 8 year olds with guns? Most don't have the physical capability of carrying an 8 pound rifle, nevermind doing it safely. I don't have a lot to say about this it just doesn't sound very smart.

Just think, if all goes well in Helena this session, an 8 year old (SB197) will be able to shoot a bison on sight(HB249) with a suppressed rifle(HB27).

Just think, if all goes well in Helena this session, an 8 year old (SB197) will be able to shoot a bison on sight(HB249) with a suppressed rifle(HB27).

...and a pistol gripped barrel shrouded hi cap AW....but no crossbow, right Jonesy?:)

If its so wonderful, maybe you should go back??? :)

That really should be the state motto.
I've had family in MT since pre -1900 so just kinda figure it as a belated home coming.
Besides, somebody had to live out in the breaks to keep all the guys who come over from the mountains pulled out of the mud.
Differences aside, I'd pull you out too. twodot

I didnt read the bill but I dont think it would allow a bunch of 4 year old kids wondering around the woods aimlessly.More than likely it ould be like our mentor program here 1 hunter undr 12 with an adult within arms reach,1 gun.

I didnt read the bill but I dont think it would allow a bunch of 4 year old kids wondering around the woods aimlessly.More than likely it ould be like our mentor program here 1 hunter undr 12 with an adult within arms reach,1 gun.

As to the arms reach, it's a little further out than that. Would radio contact count if you can still see them or is the yelling test to be applied?

(2) A person who obtains an apprentice hunting certificate must be in the company of a mentor when hunting and shall conduct all hunting in accordance with this section and within the terms and conditions of the license or permit issued.
(3) To qualify as a mentor who will accompany an apprentice hunter, a person must:
(a) be at least 18 years of age;
(b) have completed a hunter safety and education course as required in 87-2-105;
(c) have a current Montana hunting license; and
(d) have agreed to accompany and supervise the apprentice hunter and remain within sight of and direct voice contact with the apprentice hunter at all times while in the field.

Last edited:
There seems to be some confusion in the posts as there are some side topics going. I think a lot of posters are not saying they agree with the exact bill in MT, but they are saying that the standard 12year old rule could be changed. Myself I feel that under 10 is still fine as long as it is a mentor program, one gun, at the Kids side. Hell, I would not even care if it was one tag, and the kid fills the tag for his father if the resources are limited. But as far as over quota areas go, let the kids fill as many doe or cow tags available. As far as small game, I think rules should also be different. On private land there should be less restrictions for a kid to hunt small game on his own property if the parents feel he is ready and able.

RobG, fair enough, there's one. Problem is, if she was a youngster, the father was the one at fault for not being right with her and not seeing that she kept control of her muzzle. That is the responsibility of adults who take a new hunter afield no matter what their age. Sadly a high price was paid for his lack of diligence in that case.
I have never found properly instructed kids over the age of about 6-7 to have any less attention span than my adult friends. In fact, I would go on to say in my experience there is no one with a keener attention level than a bright 8-10 year old.They really bear down on whatever their interests are!
None the less facts are facts and you did bring up one instance of mishap with youth hunters and I thank you.

I guess the real test would be to look at the other states' statistics to see if safety is really an issue. My 9 year old son had a great time accompanying my wife and I on a deer hunt. My wife shot a deer and he followed the blood trail and found it. He wasn't squeamish at all as we gutted it. My daughter has also been around dead deer since she could walk. At about 5 years old she watched us skin one and decided that "they were cuter on the outside."

My main point being I don't think they have to be shooting to be having fun. I kind of remember looking forward to turning 12 and taking hunter's safety. It was a big deal and ironically allowing hunting at any age would take that away.

rg

It's interesting that most folks that don't live here, or that have come here from other states are fully behind this bill. mtmuley

I guess my big question is how many "extra" tags will this potentially create? This isn't gonna help any game population, that's for damn sure. Especially if it's only for the cute kid hunting factor. Kids can learn plenty after the kill, or just tagging along. My son wasn't ready til about 13 or 14 anyway, as long as I could keep his nose out of an ipod long enough.

It's interesting that most folks that don't live here, or that have come here from other states are fully behind this bill. mtmuley

The reason is because we have seen this type of Bill pass where we live and know that it works from first hand knowledge. Change is always hard to accept because it's just human nature to not want to change what already seems to be working fine.

Guess that's my point. What is in place here in Montana has been, and will continue to work fine. mtmuley

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whipple
Back