270 Weatherby, yea or neigh?

The only 2 weatherby rounds I've ever found interesting are the .257 and .270.

Neither interesting enough to own but I think the .270 would be the one I picked if forced to.

Rest of the weatherby rounds....meh.

I inherited my grandfather’s 270 Weatherby so I am biased due to the sentimental attachment to that rifle. That said, I really do like the caliber and use it quite a bit on most everything besides elk. I’m sure it would still work great on elk, but I won a 340 Weatherby when I was 13 so I use that on elk instead.

If you don’t already own a 270, I would go for it.

A 270 Wby would be a nice caliber with lots of speed depending on the twist rate. Like other Wbys, expensive to shoot unless you reload.

Big fan of the Weatherby chamberings. Currently own a .257, .270 & .300
Have shot everything from groundhogs to grizz with these rifles, no complaints.
Great, flat shooting cartridges and Weatherby makes a fine rifle as well. The only negative is recoil, so you want a rifle that fits you well, they are hot rounds.

Owned one for a lot of years but have it now at smith getting a 300wm barrel installed. Mine was never better than a 1-1/2” rifle. If I needed the speed I would likely look at 26 Nosler. I do like the MKV action though.

Nothing against Roy, but the weatherby cartridges are unimpressive by modern standards/practices imho. Long free bore, short head height, etc. Theres a reason there are PRCs and win mags going in weatherby rifles.

Would still own one - but im more of a mark v fan than a weatherby cartridge fan.

Last edited:
I have a .257 that I picked up specifically for MD and possibly Pronghorn. Loading 90gr Hammers at 3950fps so it's a laser. A .270 bee should be plenty fun and perfect for Elk. And it's a snub to all the newer .277 and .284 cartridges that are being rolled out now.

Never have been a huge fan of Weatherby rifles, but I found one that I’d actually like to have. It’s chambered in 270 Wby. What do you guys think, good forkie medicine?
What did you find?

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvandyke7373
Back