PEAX Equipment

WWYD - 300 WBY

I have no idea what you are getting at. A 3moa load is as useful of a starting point as lead water skis.

I read your posts as recommending @perma go back and start with different powder charges and then seating depth. What i'm saying (pending everything is structurally sound in his rifle/scope combo and shooter is not to blame) is that spending time with different powder charges and seating depths using the same components he used in the OP is not likely worth his time. The "Unicorn" in this case is a powder charge and seating depth combo that shoots consistently well given the same components shot lousy at different charges/seating depths.

I read your posts as recommending @perma go back and start with different powder charges and then seating depth. What i'm saying (pending everything is structurally sound in his rifle/scope combo and shooter is not to blame) is that spending time with different powder charges and seating depths using the same components he used in the OP is not likely worth his time. The "Unicorn" in this case is a powder charge and seating depth combo that shoots consistently well given the same components shot lousy at different charges/seating depths.
It absolutely is worth spending time, the bullet and powder shot well before he switched primers and brass. He just needs to start over completely and work his way up.

He started from a known load after changing two components. Of course it shot like crap.

FWIW the action screws and scope are completely fine and tight. I could prove out the scope by swapping it but I dont think there's value added for that.

I’d be trying a different powder or a different bullet. Never had a rifle go from a 4moa to under moa with a powder charge change or seating depth change. But I haven’t owned many rifles.

I’d be trying a different powder or a different bullet. Never had a rifle go from a 4moa to under moa with a powder charge change or seating depth change. But I haven’t owned many rifles.
I'd start powder first. Accubonds seem to shoot well in anything with the right combination. mtmuley

Loading the bullets to get closer to the lands will not work, therefore you must start from the beginning and work your way up at .5 grains to determine the best.

@perma,

I totally agree with Addicting & Farmer20.

You changed 2 components with the added effect of switching from fire formed brass to virgin brass.

You need to start at the beginning.

I'll help you save some money.
If you want to use Nosler bullets, use the Ballistic Tips.
For load workup the Hornady SST of the same weight class almost mirrors the Ballistic Tip at about half the price.

From my experience, either your rifle likes the Accubond or it really does not like the Accubond.
None of my rifles like them.
And I've tried everything I can think of to make them work.
I've gone from touching the lands to 0.120" off the lands.

While essentially the same form, the Ballistic Tips are much less finicky.
And they punch a hole through whatever I shoot at.

"Action screws are tight".
Are they torqued properly?
Or are they "tight" by the force you put on them with a screwdriver?
There is a huge difference!

While you did say it was a Mark V, which Mark V?
There is a big difference between an Ultra Lightweight and a Deluxe.
A lightweight rifle is much harder to shoot well off the bench.

How are you shooting it?

Leadsled?
Bipod, no rear bag?
Bipod & rear bag?
Front bag?
Front & rear bag?
Rest & bag?

@DFS,
I have 2 Weatherby Magnums, plus a Rem Mag that will shoot way under what Perma has pictured.
Just because it's a magnum, doesn't mean it won't shoot.

Last edited:
Well it’ll be a true do-over. Tried 88 and 89g at SAAMI length and the best I got was 1.5”. I even bought new shooting bags for the occasion, but alas no success. Time for a new bullet.

Crazy that two component changes opened up the MOA by double.

@perma,

I totally agree with Addicting & Farmer20.

You changed 2 components with the added effect of switching from fire formed brass to virgin brass.

You need to start at the beginning.

I'll help you save some money.
If you want to use Nosler bullets, use the Ballistic Tips.
For load workup the Hornady SST of the same weight class almost mirrors the Ballistic Tip at about half the price.

From my experience, either your rifle likes the Accubond or it really does not like the Accubond.
None of my rifles like them.
And I've tried everything I can think of to make them work.
I've gone from touching the lands to 0.120" off the lands.

While essentially the same form, the Ballistic Tips are much less finicky.
And they punch a hole through whatever I shoot at.

"Action screws are tight".
Are they torqued properly?
Or are they "tight" by the force you put on them with a screwdriver?
There is a huge difference!

While you did say it was a Mark V, which Mark V?
There is a big difference between an Ultra Lightweight and a Deluxe.
A lightweight rifle is much harder to shoot well off the bench.

How are you shooting it?

Leadsled?
Bipod, no rear bag?
Bipod & rear bag?
Front bag?
Front & rear bag?
Rest & bag?

@DFS,
I have 2 Weatherby Magnums, plus a Rem Mag that will shoot way under what Perma has pictured.
Just because it's a magnum, doesn't mean it won't shoot.
It’s a MkV Hunter so it’s got some weight to it, recoil is honestly fine. I had a backcountry MkV that I could shoot without issue.

I had a makeshift range bag filled with a jacket and a rolled up gun sock that would simulate a shot in the field but I decided to shoot off a front and rear Caldwell bag. Funny though, I shot better off the range bag and sock allegedly.

It’s just time to start from scratch. No big deal. Just amazed how much component changes open up a gun. Kind of bummed but it was a great thing to learn.

Have you tried cleaning it? I mean like really cleaning it with Boretech or the equivalent until patches no longer come out blue?

Magnums sometimes have a tendency to foul barrels quicker that others. Some rifles mind and some don’t

The gun likes Sierra GameKing 180g bullets, as hot as you can get them. Had one flyer that I thought would be, and had it marked. I’ll load 5 more once I commit to a chrono and shoot em.

Back