Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

WWYD - 300 WBY

He said the cartridge was a 300 Wby, but did not say it was a Weatherby rifle. Knowing the brand might help us with offering more suggestions.

The bottom group that has the one way down low was a flyer. I marked it because it was one I had to pull the bullet from. I was suspicious so I marked it, it shot it anyway.

to elaborate a little more - I would not expect a 1% change in powder charge to make a notable difference in POI @ 100 yards. You have shots from the other group that hit just as low of POI as the bottom one in group #2. Based on those 2 groups, if you shot a bunch more shots, i'd expect the various distribution to fill in around the areas of the 2 groups you shot. When precision is at that level, its hard to extract much conclusively from those type of sample sizes.

Basically, if that bottom one is indeed a flier and you didn't adjust scope between groups - the takeaway would be that a slighly more than 1% change in powder charge moved the POI by about 1.25 MOA @ 100 yards and I think that would be very unlikely. If you adjusted the scope between groups, well then please disregard :ROFLMAO:

to elaborate a little more - I would not expect a 1% change in powder charge to make a notable difference in POI @ 100 yards. You have shots from the other group that hit just as low of POI as the bottom one in group #2. Based on those 2 groups, if you shot a bunch more shots, i'd expect the various distribution to fill in around the areas of the 2 groups you shot. When precision is at that level, its hard to extract much conclusively from those type of sample sizes.

Basically, if that bottom one is indeed a flier and you didn't adjust scope between groups - the takeaway would be that a slighly more than 1% change in powder charge moved the POI by about 1.25 MOA @ 100 yards and I think that would be very unlikely. If you adjusted the scope between groups, well then please disregard :ROFLMAO:
Maybe I’m confused by what you’re referring to as POI. Are you thinking I was always aiming at the center target on those two groups?

To be fair, I did make some scope adjustments after the first group in the center, then shot at the upper left.

Maybe I’m confused by what you’re referring to as POI. Are you thinking I was always aiming at the center target on those two groups?

To be fair, I did make some scope adjustments after the first group in the center, then shot at the upper left.
I assumed that you were aiming at the bullseye closest to each respective group. Since you adjusted your scope, my comment is not applicable in some regards.

I owned a .300wby and .257wby Mk V's...both shot lights out at the range when the barrel was clean and cool, otherwise they were both accuracy finicky...both dead flop'd critters.
Agree. Most have the thin barrels that heat up quickly, so you have to wait between shots for it to cool a little. I wait 1 minute between shots and 5 minutes between groups (or longer). Of course when hunting, you can't wait if a follow up shot is needed, but when trying to do a load workup and you are looking for the best groups, patience (and waiting for the barrel to cool) yields better results.

10 shot groups?
Sure if i let the barrel cool after 3 or 4. Those are 4 shot shot groups on this post.

maybe this gun cant but i am just saying just because its a magnum doesn't mean it cant shoot better. Some people cant shoot magnums better but that may not be the guns fault.

You just need to start at the beginning and do a work up at .5 grains find the best then adjust seating depth. Your wasting time using any of your old info.

Before I get more confused with this thread I created, just wanted to thank you all for your advice. @Addicting suggested what I am doing now except I'm just starting a little hotter. I'm close to a good load, just need to fine tune some of my own processes to make this work out. More ladder tests to come in a few weeks after I finish up my salmon fishing trip, and we'll close this one up after I get a satisfactory load and a lot made.

Tagging in for pics of the magnum hunting rifle 0.28" 10 shot groups.
Yeah, that's pretty impressive. I have some targets I saved year to year when checking zero before hunting season. All around .5 MOA. But only 5 shots as an unbraked RUM is kinda spicy. With a brake I bet the rifle would do a 10 shot group at the same accuracy. mtmuley

You just need to start at the beginning and do a work up at .5 grains find the best then adjust seating depth. Your wasting time using any of your old info.

I used to do this and wasted lots of components chasing unicorns.

For the most part if a powder and bullet dont shoot decent at most any jump and charge weight I change powder or bullet.

The difference between 3 impacts at sub inch plus 1 flyer is usually at least 3 more rounds...flyers are expensive

• Haha
Reactions: DFS
I used to do this and wasted lots of components chasing unicorns.

For the most part if a powder and bullet dont shoot decent at most any jump and charge weight I change powder or bullet.
Currently he has found more of a rhino than a unicorn. He needs to go back to basics.

To be honest, that looks like a 4ish MOA system to me (defining accuracy as what size target can be hit on command at least 95% of the time).

I'd be changing the bullet at a minimum, if not the barrel or entire rifle.

Maybe you can get lucky and find out that something is loose or the scope is broken.

Back