West coast salmon recovery

I'm not so sure. They (PacifiCorp) removed the dam on the White Salmon, and haven't seen much improvement above the dam sight, though it did greatly improve the spawning habitat below (fresh bedload, the silt is purged pretty quick;<-- @Big Slick ). Then they removed the Elwha dams, without a ton of improvement above the upper dam (pretty noticeable increase between the dams). From what I've seen of salmon restoration work here in WA, it's not really driven by results-based science. I think the lower snake dams are done, even if the Klamath removal isn't that successful.

Salmon are just kinda #@)(*%* and we still don't know why.
Yes, it's hard to stay excited about these restoration projects when there isn't a big response by the fishery to what's been done.

On a short term note there's a big run of steelhead headed to the Clearwater. First trip this season is in a week. Caught the fish in my avatar in Oct last year :). Then it's back to elk hunting.

Yes, it's hard to stay excited about these restoration projects when there isn't a big response by the fishery to what's been done.

On a short term note there's a big run of steelhead headed to the Clearwater. First trip this season is in a week. Caught the fish in my avatar in Oct last year :). Then it's back to elk hunting.

And we'll have a bunch more river to float.

@Irrelevant no pulling permits required down here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cp.richards31
Back