Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

West coast salmon recovery

Innundated with information dillutes integrity of good information.

That's great to hear for the sockeye population!

That article is pretty misleading. Yes there is an issue on the Okanogan, which could partially be solved by removing the Eolan dam, but it's also just the nature of the beast, the geograph (and geology) that created prime habitat for sockeye, these large inland lakes connected to low gradient rivers, is the same geography and geology that creates the hot water. I get pretty sick of crying wolf when the sockeye trend is so obviously heading in the right direction.
Lake Wenatchee has seen 187k fish so far this year, absolutely SHATTERING the previous record (which was made just a couple years ago). That's more sockeye than the entire Columbia used to return at the turn of the century.
I didn’t read it as all negative. It seemed to be more about how climate change (warm water from lack of snow and higher temps) can make progress more frustrating. I think they mentioned a similar thing happened in 2015. Seems progress will be in fits and starts.

I didn’t read it as all negative. It seemed to be more about how climate change (warm water from lack of snow and higher temps) can make progress more frustrating. I think they mentioned a similar thing happened in 2015. Seems progress will be in fits and starts.
But it happens every year. Every. Single. Year. there is a temperature barrier that sets up at the mouth of the Okanogan. The current water temperature of the Okanogan river is trending almost perfectly with the 20 year the MEAN, the period over which these giant leaps and gains have occurred.

1722618573216.png
Yes climate change is real. But it is not ALWAYS the biggest and baddest boogy man ruining everything. And not every "bad thing" (hot water temps on the Okanogan in this case) is caused by climate change. But damn if you wouldn't think so trying to follow the press. That or it doesn't exist at all.

But it happens every year. Every. Single. Year. there is a temperature barrier that sets up at the mouth of the Okanogan. The current water temperature of the Okanogan river is trending almost perfectly with the 20 year the MEAN, the period over which these giant leaps and gains have occurred.

View attachment 335010
Yes climate change is real. But it is not ALWAYS the biggest and baddest boogy man ruining everything. And not every "bad thing" (hot water temps on the Okanogan in this case) is caused by climate change. But damn if you wouldn't think so trying to follow the press. That or it doesn't exist at all.
I just thought it was interesting info. I like to know before stuff happens rather than after. Like this...

Lots of good data here and charts here. Nothing contradictory to what you have said.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishonfleek
Back