Weight Loss Drugs

Cause it literally doesn’t matter to me cause you’re some stranger on an Internet forum and I could give a flying #*^@#* about winning or losing some imaginary contest that you seem focused on? lol use your own google fu, you seem quite good at it
Happy hour get to ya, eh?

I think many of us giving the same flying f about most of your posts.

Have a good one, eh.

If you’re gonna try to burn someone at least write a legible sentence.

You have a good one too, ‘eh’

Take two twins. Exact same genetics. From puberty, feed one healthy foods, encourage getting enough sleep, and physical activity. Feed the other unhealthy foods, let them stay up however late they want, and give them a smoking habit. Which one do you think will end up being in better shape, grow taller, and have less health problems? The lifestyle you live and what you put into your body plays a huge part.
Trading Places. One of the best Christmas movies ever. It was the Dukes, it was the Dukes...

Take all the mRNA you want. I'll still pass on both.

That's great, but still comparing the two is non-sensical.

The quick fixes for weight loss usually come at a price - one we don't know yet.

Actually GLPs and other peptides have been used for decades for weight loss as an off label treatment. It was the recent addition to them being approved by the FDA for weight loss that we have branded names and the major players in pharma/insurance involved.

For older folks the semaglutides just accelerate frailty (muscle loss and less density of bones).

Drug companies (Lilly) are busy developing drugs just to minimize the muscle wasting effects. Sounds great for stock holders

I have said it before and I'll say it again...you can't out exercise a bad diet :). Once you stop the drug, you will eat again so really this is pointless unless you can stop the drug and stop eating or whatever is does for you.
Yes you can.
BMI is an outdated and incorrect measure of fitness.
It works just fine for the vast majority (90+%) of humans. Yes, it does not work for athletes/very muscular people. However, being very muscular is hard on your body's systems as well, keep that in mind.

I think the most interesting thing about Oz is it really removes the bullshit of why people are obese. Oz essentially is an extremely good appetite suppressant. Basically everyone loses significant amounts of weight on Oz. So, obesity is in fact a result of not being able to control what you shovel into your mouth. There can be no more excuses of genetics/hormones/etc.

We can argue the laws of thermodynamics, habits, self-control, BMI until the cows come home.

One thing that I think is safe to say is that big people are very aware of the fact that they are big, generally wish they werent, and have tried a lot of different things to change that. I would love it for Ozempic to be a silver bullet for these people- but I fear it may be Fen Phen 2.0. Hope I’m wrong.

I'll give you a real world update for my personal info. Been on Tirzepatide for about 8 weeks. I'm 6'2" and started at 257. Yesterday was 241. I really have to focus on making sure I have good fiber in my diet now. I have always been a big meat guy so nothing changed there but instead of potatoes or whatever... I make sure I have greens and fiber. For breakfast, I make sure I eat or drink something with protein. That's all I have changed. This drug supresses your appetite so you eat less. Cravings are the same for me, but without that fiber your asking for poor gut health. I have always taken probiotics and multivitamins. I don't take any medications. I notice reflux or indigestion if I eat acidic red sauce or I eat too late in the night. So it has forced good eating habits which is pretty much the reason for the drug. Will it last? Time will tell. If I were to get new blood results I am sure it would be better. My stomach is smaller in inches, my pants are the same size but was able to go down a notch. Once I hit 230 I will go on a maintenance dose until my vial is gone. I don't want to go any smaller as I don't think I will maintain on less. 230 seems ideal to me. Just my personal results and thoughts. If your on the border, do it before you are diabetic. Pre-Diabetics are where this thing shines.

I'll give you a real world update for my personal info. Been on Tirzepatide for about 8 weeks. I'm 6'2" and started at 257. Yesterday was 241. I really have to focus on making sure I have good fiber in my diet now. I have always been a big meat guy so nothing changed there but instead of potatoes or whatever... I make sure I have greens and fiber. For breakfast, I make sure I eat or drink something with protein. That's all I have changed. This drug supresses your appetite so you eat less. Cravings are the same for me, but without that fiber your asking for poor gut health. I have always taken probiotics and multivitamins. I don't take any medications. I notice reflux or indigestion if I eat acidic red sauce or I eat too late in the night. So it has forced good eating habits which is pretty much the reason for the drug. Will it last? Time will tell. If I were to get new blood results I am sure it would be better. My stomach is smaller in inches, my pants are the same size but was able to go down a notch. Once I hit 230 I will go on a maintenance dose until my vial is gone. I don't want to go any smaller as I don't think I will maintain on less. 230 seems ideal to me. Just my personal results and thoughts. If your on the border, do it before you are diabetic. Pre-Diabetics are where this thing shines.

Do you go to the gym, and have you noticed any decrease in strength? Just genuinely curious, as it seems a prevailing thought about these drugs is that they take away muscle mass as well as fat.

Do you go to the gym, and have you noticed any decrease in strength? Just genuinely curious, as it seems a prevailing thought about these drugs is that they take away muscle mass as well as fat.
I have not experienced any muscle atrophy. I do work out.... regularly ish. This drug decreases appetite, so it will allow your body to eat muscle along with the fat if you let it. If your going to sit on the couch and let it work its magic, I have no doubt it will take your muscle too. I work out by lifting as well as bike ride with the kids, and am as active as my kids allow. I walk an inclined treadmill but hate running. 60 days out from Elk season for me I started a heavier exercise regimen, but I also ride a desk for a living. I have noticed no weakness that I didn't already have prior.

I'm a clinical hospital pharmacist. I'm pretty much against taking anything you don't need. Far too many people look for the easy answer in life instead of putting in the work.
Everyone's story is different though. For those who truly try to lose weight and have health issues, drugs may be the best option.

I've always been athletic and never over weight. It's easy for me to say just lose it, but that's not how things work in real life. Now that I am in my 50s with a much slower metabolism and less muscle mass, I have to be more aware of what I am eating and how much exercise I am getting. It does take effort to maintain desired weight and fitness.

If you need it, take it. If you don't, don't.

The reason diets never work and the weight comes back is when you loose weight by calorie restriction by any diet, without resistance training and high protien intake at the same time, up to half the weight you loose is muscle. Once you loose muscle your metabolism/daily calorie expenditure is less, hence you put weight back on in fat even easier. Repeat and it's a no win situation.

Building muscle is the long term solution to being lean and healthy with no more weight fluctuating and dieting. Go to a TDEE calculator. Type in your height weight etc. And 40 % body fat and see what your daily maintenance calories are. Now leave everything the same but change body fat to 20%, see how many more calories you can eat a day without gaining weight? It's alot.

Great place to learn more is Mind Pump Show on YouTube.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rut
Back