Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Weight Loss Drugs

Spanked you in B-Ball yesterday. mtmuley

Basketball and baseball US vs Canada that’s to be expected. You guys could dress your C team and wipe the floor with us. Inverse in hockey, but you are catching up in that regard too. Having a population ten times as large helps.

Thats not true. Not true at all.

Take two twins. Exact same genetics. From puberty, feed one healthy foods, encourage getting enough sleep, and physical activity. Feed the other unhealthy foods, let them stay up however late they want, and give them a smoking habit. Which one do you think will end up being in better shape, grow taller, and have less health problems? The lifestyle you live and what you put into your body plays a huge part.

Take two twins. Exact same genetics. From puberty, feed one healthy foods, encourage getting enough sleep, and physical activity. Feed the other unhealthy foods, let them stay up however late they want, and give them a smoking habit. Which one do you think will end up being in better shape, grow taller, and have less health problems? The lifestyle you live and what you put into your body plays a huge part.

That covers a set of twins, now consider two people with different genetics. Each of them do the right things their entire life. They will not get an equal outcome, most of the time.

It is a very multifaceted problem with genetics and behaviors interwoven. One could argue that a good share of our behaviors are genetically driven.

I think one of the primary manifestations of the differing genetics is how much one wants to eat.

You could match me up with a dude who works out as much as I do, sleeps the same, same height, everything. Then, when I eat a big plate of pork chops and potatoes for dinner I’m full annd have no desire for more and I will probably want to skip breakfast cause I won’t wake up very hungry. On the hand he needs a second helping of pork chops because he’s still hungry and he’ll crave some dessert because he feels like he has room, then he wakes up hungry wanting a big breakfast.

Do I have better self control? Not really, I was just feeling full annd done, easy to walk away, and he was not feeling full. it’s hard, borderline impossible for a hungry human to walk away from food. I know I can’t, until I’m full.

Insulin and leptin are scary powerful hormones and we don’t entirely have complete control over them - in come genetics.

That covers a set of twins, now consider two people with different genetics. Each of them do the right things their entire life. They will not get an equal outcome, most of the time.

It is a very multifaceted problem with genetics and behaviors interwoven. One could argue that a good share of our behaviors are genetically driven.

Never said an equal outcome, but people with different genetics, eating and living correctly, will most likely have positive results, unless they have genetic diseases, which I would assume is not what’s being talked about here.

Behaviour is taught or reinforced by action. If you really want to talk genetics, genetically speaking every person on earth was made for endurance. We as a species are not the strongest or the fastest. Look at a lion. It can run 50mph…for 100 yards, then it needs to stop or it’ll overheat and die. Human’s edge is being able to keep a relatively fast pace over long distances. Genetically, your body is made to be a certain way to be able to accomplish this. We are no different than the cavemen who had to do this every day, we haven’t existed long enough as homo sapiens to have evolved past that. Genetically, our bodies are not built to withstand the carbs we pack into it in the present day, at the rate that we do, which is why obesity is such a huge problem. If people focused on living healthy and eating what they should, when they should, which is what we are built for and have been since we came about as a species, they would have positive results. Maybe genetically you would carry more weight. As I have stated multiple times in this thread, I am not saying everyone needs to look like an Adonis to be considered fit. But they would be better off trying to work at it than just going the easy route with a drug, or using genetics as a crutch to explain an unhealthy weight. Their genetics, whether they dictate if they are big or small, short or tall, would help their body react to it in a positive way.

What do I know though. Physiology was only my minor. Basically doesn’t count. Tried my best to explain in layman’s terms, and maybe I did a shit job and that’s the hang up.

Never said an equal outcome, but people with different genetics, eating and living correctly, will most likely have positive results, unless they have genetic diseases, which I would assume is not what’s being talked about here.

Behaviour is taught or reinforced by action. If you really want to talk genetics, genetically speaking every person on earth was made for endurance. We as a species are not the strongest or the fastest. Look at a lion. It can run 50mph…for 100 yards, then it needs to stop or it’ll overheat and die. Human’s edge is being able to keep a relatively fast pace over long distances. Genetically, your body is made to be a certain way to be able to accomplish this. We are no different than the cavemen who had to do this every day, we haven’t existed long enough as homo sapiens to have evolved past that. Genetically, our bodies are not built to withstand the carbs we pack into it in the present day, at the rate that we do, which is why obesity is such a huge problem. If people focused on living healthy and eating what they should, when they should, which is what we are built for and have been since we came about as a species, they would have positive results. Maybe genetically you would carry more weight. As I have stated multiple times in this thread, I am not saying everyone needs to look like an Adonis to be considered fit. But they would be better off trying to work at it than just going the easy route with a drug, or using genetics as a crutch to explain an unhealthy weight. Their genetics, whether they dictate if they are big or small, short or tall, would help their body react to it in a positive way.

What do I know though. Physiology was only my minor. Basically doesn’t count. Tried my best to explain in layman’s terms, and maybe I did a shit job and that’s the hang up.

This link states there is a significant genetic component to human behavior.

This link states there is a significant genetic component to human behavior.

Component yes, but what I meant was behaviour can be taught and reinforced, just like genetics can be overcome to a degree by lifestyle choices. The fun thing about scientific research is you can find dozens of papers to support your view, and I can find dozens of papers to support mine. It’s ever-evolving.

Have you looked into if you may have a hiatal hernia? Do you have pretty bad acid reflux? I have a really bad one, and because of it my brain never gets the signal that I'm full. I had surgery to repair it, and unfortunately it failed to correct the problem, but I did get some improvement. The first time I experienced what it feels like to be full was truly mind bending, I'd never known that sensation before. I lost 60 pounds ten years before the surgery, and it was months of torture, feeling starving all the time. Right now, I'm in the midst of losing 50 pounds or so, and being able to feel full has made the process much easier to handle on the mental side.

Component yes, but what I meant was behaviour can be taught and reinforced, just like genetics can be overcome to a degree by lifestyle choices. The fun thing about scientific research is you can find dozens of papers to support your view, and I can find dozens of papers to support mine. It’s ever-evolving.

Yet you decline to link one. I could go find several more stating that things like intellect, personality, behavioral tendencies, yada, yada are inherited traits.

There is a reason there is the old saying...the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Yet you decline to link one. I could go find several more stating that things like intellect, personality, behavioral tendencies, yada, yada are inherited traits.

There is a reason there is the old saying...the apple doesn't fall far from the tree

Cause it literally doesn’t matter to me cause you’re some stranger on an Internet forum and I could give a flying #*^@#* about winning or losing some imaginary contest that you seem focused on? lol use your own google fu, you seem quite good at it

Cause it literally doesn’t matter to me cause you’re some stranger on an Internet forum and I could give a flying #*^@#* about winning or losing some imaginary contest that you seem focused on? lol use your own google fu, you seem quite good at it

I think many of us giving the same flying f about most of your posts.

Have a good one, eh.

A NYT article today on GLP-1s (Ozympic, Zepbound, Mounjaro, Wegovy, etc) has me curious what the HT community thinks about these new, extremely expensive, weight loss drugs. The thrust of the article was that obesity doctors would like to be able to prescribe these drugs, but without a diagnosis of diabetes, people who are pre-diabetic or right on the line are unable to afford these drugs. Basically, in order to get access to them, people need to be even less healthy. In classic American fashion, it would seem that we'd rather fix the problem when it is too late than try to prevent it from happening in the first place.

I'm close personally with someone with Type 2 Diabetes, so their insurance has been able to cover a Mounjaro prescription. From what they've told me, the real miracle of these drugs is that they reduce appetite, cravings, and seem to alter the mental health piece of eating disorders. Basically, this person reports that they aren't thinking about food all the time.

As someone whose weight fluctuates dramatically (50-60 lbs a year), I keep coming back to how nice that must be. Every diet/exercise plan I've tried has worked for about 6 months, but after elk season, the weight always piles back on. When I am on those plans, it starts to feel like every waking moment of my life is spent thinking about calories and food, and I'm hungry all the time. It's not a fun way to live.

I reached out to a friend of mine who runs a clinic, and he told me I fall into that magical zone of not-quite-unhealthy enough to require GLP-1s. The other kicker: is it sounds like once someone starts on those drugs, they are stuck for life. I don't really want that.

I'd rather be carrying 50lbs of elk meat out on my back up and down the mountains than 50 lbs of excess body weight. And even more so, I'd like something consistent that lasts year round, that doesn't require me to spend every waking moment feeling hungry and thinking about food. Anyone else in the same boat or know anything more about these drugs?

For clarity, I'm not looking for a miracle or easy way out; I've sweat plenty in gyms, dieted hard, and lost 50+ lbs about 10 times already. I know what that takes and will do it again. But I am curious to learn about others' thoughts and experiences in this regard.

You would not be “stuck for life”. A lot of people only take them for a period of time to lose wt and then stop. But once you take it and stop you do build up a sort of tolerance and will likely need a bigger dose if you wish to use again. Also make sure and exercise while on it and eat protein or you will lose muscle mass. Just my 2 cents

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clinebj22
Back