Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

VERY cool Leupold......

SFC B

This dude has what is, at least to me, a game changer for not only marking point of interest but also recovering game........the ability to drop a pin straight to OnX through the rangefinder. Imagine shooting an elk across a canyon and then being able to go straight to a pin to begin your search. Yes please!! Swaro has something similar but it uses their proprietary app/software. I am going to try and demo one of these to try it out.

Should be illegal IMO. This tech is outta control. I can do the same with a drone, take a photo and then copy the geotag coordinates into OnX and it drops a pin. Can’t use drones to hunt same day as flying them, thankfully.

Curious on the "True Ballistics Range" mode. The fact that they don't share what that does clearly without digging for it makes me wonder if it's some fuddy CDS output rather than actual angular firing solution.

Last edited:
Curious on the "True Ballistics Range" mode. The fact that they don't share what that does at least clearly without digging for it makes me wonder if it's some fuddy CDS output rather than actual angular correction.
I thought it was just truing the horizontal distance?

I thought it was just truing the horizontal distance?

The below is the only stuff i found with a couple minutes of digging. The way they present whatever that function is gives me bad vibes.

1724963997412.png
1724964032769.png

It factors in the difference in elevation between you and the object you’re spotting, and adjusts the “range” to compensate for that.

So basically fuddy CDS stuff.

The below is the only stuff i found with a couple minutes of digging. The way they present whatever that function is gives me bad vibes.

View attachment 338411
View attachment 338412

So basically fuddy CDS stuff.
Sort of. It’s factoring the in the differing effects of gravity depending on the horizontal angle of your shot. If you’re shooting uphill, gravity will have a greater effect on your bullet and a 500 yard straight line uphill shot would equate to a range slightly higher that you’d want to dial your scope to in order to compensate for that. The TBR range in that case would be higher than the actual distance. Opposite effect on downhill shots. Frankly it doesn’t matter that much unless you’re shooting at extreme angles or fairly long ranges.

Pretty sure it based on a single plane gyroscope in the device, so it’s important to hold it vertical from a side to side perspective so it gets an accurate angle measurement.

Sort of. It’s factoring the in the differing effects of gravity depending on the horizontal angle of your shot. If you’re shooting uphill, gravity will have a greater effect on your bullet and a 500 yard straight line uphill shot would equate to a range slightly higher that you’d want to dial your scope to in order to compensate for that. The TBR range in that case would be higher than the actual distance. Opposite effect on downhill shots. Frankly it doesn’t matter that much unless you’re shooting at extreme angles or fairly long ranges.

Pretty sure it based on a single plane gyroscope in the device, so it’s important to hold it vertical from a side to side perspective so it gets an accurate angle measurement.
Horizontal distance, not more or less gravity.

Yes, basically every Range Finder has horizontal distance correction. 30 degrees up vs 30 degrees down might be a single 0.1 mil or 0.25 MOA click difference in elevation dope @ 1000 yards.

Last edited:
Should be illegal IMO. This tech is outta control. I can do the same with a drone, take a photo and then copy the geotag coordinates into OnX and it drops a pin. Can’t use drones to hunt same day as flying them, thankfully.
I guess I don't understand this, as opposed to a drone you are line of sight. Are you opposed to range finders in general? Usage of any GPS locations devices? What is it about dropping a pin at a point in your line of sight that bothers you? I am most interested in this for the possibility of recovery of higher percentage of fatally wounded game.

Curious to see if the compass is sufficiently trustworthy to have the right bearing. Magnets on RF cases are hard on calibration retention, or so I've heard.

I know when Sig added this feature with Basemap it was often pretty noticeably off regarding bearing angle.

I guess I don't understand this, as opposed to a drone you are line of sight. Are you opposed to range finders in general? Usage of any GPS locations devices? What is it about dropping a pin at a point in your line of sight that bothers you? I am most interested in this for the possibility of recovery of higher percentage of fatally wounded game.
Just another snow flake in the snowball of hunting tech in the past 70 or so years. I've pretty much used it all if legal where I hunt, but am aware of it's impact and how we are degrading hunting experiences IMO. Always in the name of recovering more wounded game or more "ethical" hunting. Difficult to draw lines, like you point out. Scopes, compound bows, rangefinders, OnX, bluetooth arrows, thermal drones, trail cameras to now cellular trail cameras. Now add a rangefinder that ranges to 5k yards (why 10+ times further than most hunters should be shooting?) that drops pins where you point it. Just getting older and grumpier I guess lol.

I honestly won't be surprised to see thermal radar in my life where we can have real-time thermal imaging and see if any animals are on the mountain before ever leaving our house. 🤷‍♂️

I hunt big canyon country, watch lots of guys over the years spend 45 minutes crossing a canyon to follow up a 300 or 400 yard shot. Many times they are well short of where the animal was standing. I'll bet a dozen times over the years if looped over let them know I had hung a ribbon where first blood was. This tool is outstanding in my opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jg722
Back