Sitka Gear Optifade Cover

VERY cool Leupold......

Woodsmanship is a thing of the past...everyone needs another crutch.

Its amazing we ever killed anything prior to 2000. Wool pants, fanny packs, green box ammo, old timer knives...damn lucky to be alive to tell about it.
Back then 400 yards was a long poke and very few could estimate accurately. Y'all spent a lot of money sending me to "sniper" schools for 20 years. Still only shot one elk at 500 yards. Still rather get closer. That being said I love knowing the range, getting within 300. I'll buy one of the new rangefinders as soon as I can.

I am a bit suprised how some folks are getting so worked up about something whose biggest usage is recovery of game in my opinion. I am always interested in upping those odds. From the sounds of some of these folks, we should be on the look out for folks hunting barefoot, in animal skins with atlatls (wait, that is technology so maybe throwing rocks?)....you know because the technology THEY use is good, but all the NEW stuff is "bad". I am good with limits but this is not outside those for me......but I use centerfire rifles, scopes, binos, 4x4 trucks and all sorts of "crutches" :rolleyes:

Wonder how it is a person has ever recovered 4-5 hundred animals without one?

Put me down for 2...because like my maternal Grandfather would say about worthless gear, "that way you can crap on one and cover it up with the other."

In fairness he was inclined to being a bit blunt...

IMG_0007.jpg

Last edited:
Woodsmanship is a thing of the past...everyone needs another crutch.

Its amazing we ever killed anything prior to 2000. Wool pants, fanny packs, green box ammo, old timer knives...damn lucky to be alive to tell about it.

Were you stalking me 20 years ago!?! I still have the pants and matching jacket, ammo box, and knife. I wonder where that turquoise Kelty fanny pack is???

When I worked in Grand Teton back in the day I worked with a guy from Colorado that dead pan tried to convince me that he had killed elk from a tree stand with a spear… My bullshizometer was reading 💯.

The problem is the 10%. I’ll use it ethically, but I know YOU won’t. Kidding… jokes man. Jokes. WE use our tech ethically, but 10% won’t. I can think of a few that won’t.

This applies to all tech though. The dude I’m thinking of will do ANYTHING to post picks of “monster” bucks and bulls. Shoot I know he poached a bull right off I-90. He splashes and dashes.

I have a former in-law that I mentioned a monster double drop tine whitetail to. It was North of Spokane off of the Little Spokane River on private, surrounded by all private. I only saw him at night once. I worked hard to get permission for archery. Guess who killed that buck? Guess who hung it on his wall. The brass balls… 😡

I am an obstinate bastard though and called the second guy out. Yes, I did call my friendly neighborhood game warden. The first guy knows not to say shiz around me.

Promote ethics and speak up where you see fit.

Last edited:
Some folk here remind me of my dad. When I took up hunting he asked “knife or spear? Anything more isn’t hunting, it’s assassination. The animal should have an equal chance to kill you, too.”

He’s the only staunch anti-hunter that I know.

Some folk here remind me of my dad. When I took up hunting he asked “knife or spear? Anything more isn’t hunting, it’s assassination. The animal should have an equal chance to kill you, too.”

He’s the only staunch anti-hunter that I know.
You referring to me?

When I worked in Grand Teton back in the day I worked with a guy from Colorado that dead pan tried to convince me that he had killed elk from a tree stand with a spear… My bullshizometer was reading 💯.
Tim Wells.

If you’re shooting uphill, gravity will have a greater effect on your bullet and a 500 yard straight line uphill shot would equate to a range slightly higher that you’d want to dial your scope to in order to compensate for that. The TBR range in that case would be higher than the actual distance.
8DD30DF5-1F0B-423A-874C-11A689BA64C4.gif

I am a bit suprised how some folks are getting so worked up about something whose biggest usage is recovery of game in my opinion. I am always interested in upping those odds. From the sounds of some of these folks, we should be on the look out for folks hunting barefoot, in animal skins with atlatls (wait, that is technology so maybe throwing rocks?)....you know because the technology THEY use is good, but all the NEW stuff is "bad". I am good with limits but this is not outside those for me......but I use centerfire rifles, scopes, binos, 4x4 trucks and all sorts of "crutches" :rolleyes:
Yeah, it’s not even an enticing function for usefulness to me but people are all incensed. I’m for limiting technology to the extent it makes things too easy but this ain’t that. Kind of like lighted nocks.. I don’t use them but think the logic against them is dumb. They don’t help people kill stuff, only recover stuff, yet people think they are the devil.

All the technology does is save you from doing a little math. Say the elk is 300 yards across a steep canyon, Tbr shows your line of sight is 5 %. A little geometry, the same phone you use for onx can do the math. 78 feet plus or minus, Hang a bright ribbon or hat where you shot from. Use your on x compas feature for a bearing. Look at the damn map, Climb all the way down all the way up, confirm your bearing, angle to shot location and altitude change and you are very close to where you need to be. It ain't rocket surgery and took me a lot longer to write it than to actually do it.

Yeah, it’s not even an enticing function for usefulness to me but people are all incensed. I’m for limiting technology to the extent it makes things too easy but this ain’t that. Kind of like lighted nocks.. I don’t use them but think the logic against them is dumb. They don’t help people kill stuff, only recover stuff, yet people think they are the devil.
It's just dumb, period. FFS, just use a landmark where the animal was standing and hike your ass on over there and find it.

This is just another gimmick, PT Barnum had it right.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Back Tracker
Back