To illuminate or not

Illumination

• Total voters
Illuminated reticles don’t illuminate the image. Maybe you’re talking about hunter ethics. Will hunters take riskier shots? I haven’t… it helps me focus.

Do you support use of fiber optic sights on bows?

We should be following the laws no matter the tech.
I'm well aware that an illuminated reticle doesn't illuminate the image.
Hence the word "reticle" attached with it.

And exactly as I said. If it's dark enough that you need the reticle illuminated to see it, then your not properly seeing your target or what is behind it.

For archery I use the EZ-V sight.

I have been looking at a Holosun green dot for my Henry Single Shot 45-70.
But that is more of a cross between maintaining the aesthetics of the rifle, and the fact that I have problems seeing the open sights.

Last edited:
I'm well aware that an illuminated reticle doesn't illuminate the image.
Hence the word "reticle" attached with it.

And exactly as I said. If it's dark enough that you need the reticle illuminated to see it, then your not properly seeing your target or what is behind it.

For archery I use the EZ-V sight.

I have been looking at a Holosun green dot for my Henry Single Shot 45-70.
But that is more of a cross between maintaining the aesthetics of the rifle, and the fact that I have problems seeing the open sights.
I see the target fine. As I said before the small glowing dot draws my eye and helps me focus.

The EZ-V and Holosun are both “light enhanced” through technology. Your statement implied that people behave unethically when they have illuminated reticles. How are these different than my Leupold Firedot?

I say if it’s legal, use it legally and ethically.

I have Trijicon scopes on two of my rifles. My tired old eyes appreciate the lighted dot !!

I have 6 Leupold's with duplex Firedot...VX-R's, VX-3HD, and VX-5HD's, love 'em! Also had a Leica Amplus 6 2.5-15x 50 L4a but sold it. All Leupolds for me now.

I always had a hunch you ate glue. Thanks for confirming!
I don't eat glue. But probably need to be more careful about the mushrooms I put on my Wheaties. "Breakfast of ... uh ... what planet is this?"

No electronic technocrap for this old timer. I spent all day Friday installing a replacement electric window actuator in my Jimmy. Argh! So close to taking the TV and toaster to the dump. But not my cell phone! Living without that would be self emasculation.

Last edited:
I’ve personally never run into a must have situation but have had a couple instances when I was glad to have an illuminated reticle.

The lowest (pindot) Leupold FD setting is perfect for legal dawn/dusk....the brightest increases to adequate daytime feral pig MOA. Pigs don't loiter...paint em red ASAP and squeeze or they're gonna boogey.

Never used one,hunting....big game.
My rangefinder is lit.
Pistol came with a red dot,I took it off.

I'd like them more if it wasn't for the astigmatism in my dominant eye. But otherwise I'd use illuminated if it worked out for me. That being said I like just the center portion illuminated like a dot or the center x

I have the Leupold VX-6hd; illuminated TMOA. I mostly use the illumination for range practice. The leveling feature is great to train with to make sure when I bring up the scope to my eye, I am not canting the rifle left/right. Muscle memory, cheek weld, and sight picture then gets ingrained so I don't need it hunting. I can see the utility of it for low-light hunting. Pretty easy to confirm what's behind a deer/elk on a steep hillside but still want a better fix of the cross-hairs on the target under lower light conditions. Just haven't run into that particular situation in the animals I have taken.

i have one scope with lighted cross hairs and never needed to turn on while hunting battery probably dead now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rut
Back