Nephew Perma’s 100 Day Challenge

Alrighty here we go!

My wife and I were a bit cautious going because we weren’t sure if we were going to accomplish what the goal was. I say this because my mom has some limitations that prevent us from doing what we really wanted to do. However, my parents have always done this with me so I’d be upset with myself if I told them they couldn’t go. So we work with what we got!

We roll in on the 4th and decide that it’s time for supper. We grab a bite and decide to go fishing. Some folks I talked to May know where I was but it’s a very premier fishing spot in CO. Sadly, no fish to report, I’m stuck at 48 on the year.

Fast forward to Friday, I didn’t get any sleep the night before. Literally, not a wink. So I woke up extremely cranky. We had breakfast and took off. Unfortunately I missed a turn (wasn’t the driver but was the navigator) and we ended up miles off the path. Crap. We end up taking a large loop around and got to a top of the pass. We unload the UTV and start driving. All this sudden, the machine had a check engine light on. Everything was keeping me from going on this trip it seemed.

We finally get to the trail head and my wife and I took off while I tasked my parents to find camping spots. A guy drove up to them while we were a few yards up the trail and explained that they find a bear with cubs in the area. As a mother would, panic set in and my wife was concerned. My grouchy self said we’re going and I’m going to explain why we won’t see her. That day, my wife learned about thermals. No bears were found.

We get to the wilderness and it set in to me that I’ve never been into one before. While the bugs were in full force, I had found peace.

IMG_1019.jpegIMG_1023.jpegIMG_1022.jpeg

I also found some reddish purple pine cones. Never seen that before.

IMG_1020.jpeg

The next day, I went back to a spot I visited a few weeks ago. The road required a UTV due to a nasty stretch of rocks. We get through but never really found any sign. I decided to backtrack and go right smack dab in the middle of the unit.

As we were driving, I decided to roll the window down and take in the fresh air. It had occurred to me there and then that I never knew what elk smelled like, although I hear it from you guys all the time. A mile driving forward, I was hit with this huge scent, as if it was a shovel that smacked me in the face. I ask my party if anyone else got it and my dad nodded gently. Smelled just like a horse pen. I have him stop and found sign everywhere including a bed. Jackpot. We mark the spot and turn around to not disturb the area any further.

A trip full of first for me. First time in a wilderness, first time seeing red pine cones, first time smelling elk. It was a privilege to witness a lot of it, although no elk were spotted.

Next up is a short week business trip to Seattle. My brother lives there and we’re going fishing. No long stories, just fish pictures next.

Hey @perma I was wondering about the “nephew” reference in the thread title: are you an Uncle Roger (YouTube comedian/chef commentator) fan? If so, you are getting closer to elk Uncle status with a smelly scouting success.

Enjoying the electronic journal so far

Hey @perma I was wondering about the “nephew” reference in the thread title: are you an Uncle Roger (YouTube comedian/chef commentator) fan? If so, you are getting closer to elk Uncle status with a smelly scouting success.

Enjoying the electronic journal so far
Haha no. It’s just a name I’ve always been called ever since college. Not sure why, I guess I have that “nephew vibe” to me, whatever that is. That or I’m coachable.

I think it started when I had my first real job. I was an apprentice for a master technician at a car dealership. He taught me a lot, and was someone I respected. My mom always used to introduce me to people she respected as uncle or auntie (my god parents being an example). So anyway, I used to call him uncle don and he used to call me nephew.

And the rest is history!

Well the application season is over for me. Much like NV and UT, I walk out empty handed in WY. Nada, zilch. Pretty shocked I couldn’t even pull a cow tag. But, that’s how it goes. Can’t draw them all.

Drawn tags updated. I have a general WY elk tag and a LE CO elk tag to hang my hat on, so it can’t be that bad! Top it with two mule deer tags and a fun archery pronghorn tag in CO, should be a busy fall.

I put in for a pronghorn hunt in SD that I don't know that I'd draw, but regardless, I have a plan.

I still struggle to figure out which unit to go hunt elk in this year, and that's my fault. In my profession, I have to over analyze everything and so it's by nature that I have 3 units picked and can't decide between them. I'm sure I eliminated one, but still can't pick between two. So the plan for that is to hunt both units during the general deer season and use it as a scouting trip. It won't be a very impressive hunt but if a deer gets shot in the process, food in the freezer for me! Then, based on that hunt, I'll pick the elk unit. I think it'll come down to how well I can glass the respective unit.

On another side note; I have an archery pronghorn hunt coming up in two weeks. I haven't touched my bow all year so I'll be starting that process today. Truth be told, even if I were to get close, I probably won't shoot. It's a throwaway OTC tag that's more about spending time with my great uncle and aunt rather than the hunt. But again, if I get a dumb one close enough, or if I decide to make a makeshift blind this year, who knows.

Looking for my personal best mule deer and my first elk! Both are high probabilities this year!

Well the first hunt trip of the year is over! It all happened so fast.

Day 1:

My wife was skeptical that I was going to get something. And admittingly, so was I. Archery pronghorn is no joke. And I double up on the difficulty by setting up boundaries for myself. I want to stalk one from afar, and nail it with an arrow. No blinds.

We stop at the local sportsman’s and I pick up my tag. The guy at the counter even gave me a funny look and said “how’re you gonna do this”. To which I replied, “I’m just gonna have fun”. There’s something empowering about going hunting and not caring if you fill it. There’s a lot less pressure to get one now that the veil has been opened for me. I enjoy hunting more than I ever did.

We get to the ranch and I meet with my uncle and aunt. They had also asked me where my rifle was. “I didn’t draw that this year, so I’m going stick and string”. They laughed at me and said “why would you do that”? I replied “well the truth is I needed an excuse to come visit and the hunting is just the perk”. They giggled with gratitude. I did some scouting the night before and saw a good buck. Not my best, but a good one. He was wide and was already gathering does modestly. That’s my boy, impatient and dumb.

IMG_1092.jpeg

IMG_1091.jpeg

Day 2

Opening weekend! Finally! HT has been rough to follow so I was ambitious to start the year and add some relevant stories.

We woke up at 5, groggy from the night before. The nights were in the 70s and the ranch doesn’t have AC. We struggled to sleep but I was pretty chipper.

We get to the spot and start glassing. Immediately my buck was galloping with his does 700 yard in front of us. He wouldn’t hold still and ended up crossing onto another property. I could technically chase him down but I decided that morning that this hunt was going to be based on stalking quality, not quantity.

Pronghorn everywhere. Too many to take pictures of.

I decided to settle on a younger one with not much life experience. I start the stalk and get to a bump on the land after traveling through some arroyos. The issue now is that I learned that a buck trailed behind me, so now I’m pinned. I decide to hold tight and be patient. Quality over quantity.

The stalk paid off; the buck behind me moved on and the dumb one was feeding towards me. I decided to sneak closer into a small ditch. My feet started to cramp and I had to stand up to which he unfortunately found me. Untypical to his species, he actually galloped towards me. I started to veer closer and closer to another ditch but he kept coming closer. I finally hit a bush with my range finder: 60 yards. I can hit that shot!

Holy crap!

He’s on a war path to figure me out. He comes closer and closer, and finally hits the bush. I snort at him and he freezes. I slowly draw the bow and erect my back while kneeling. He stood broadside and stared me down.

Breath in, breath out, pull the trigger.

Night 2

After flinging the arrow, he took off and took off pretty far. Based on how far he ran, I wasn’t too sure if he was hit. I didn’t see blood so I wasn’t sure if I made a bad placed shot. I glassed him and ended up losing sight because he ran into a bachelor herd. Panic set in and I feared that I made a bad shot. I scoured the area for blood or the arrow and could not find either.

My wife was back at the truck. I made a call to her and explained the situation. I asked that she goes towards that group and look to see if an arrow is sticking out on one of them.

I spent two hours scouting the area for any sign and didn’t find a thing. I was upset with myself, because I became “that guy”. While I didn’t notch my tag, I left the area and packed the bow in the truck. It got too hot to look, well over 100 degrees. The goal was to wait it out and find the arrow. My eye was also bothering me because of my contact ripping so it was just not a good morning.

5 PM hit and we drive to the far end of the ranch. I bring my bow and start to glass. Not very many pronghorn but there was a particular white spot that made me wonder. I get closer to realize it was a rock but also found a small group in front of me. I hid behind the cattle to see what would happen and they eventually ran off. No wounded pronghorn in that group.

I go back to the area and retrace my steps. I realized that my shot had to have gone farther if I missed since I can’t find evidence of a hit. I decided to walk 200 yards from the shot and zig zag back. Fortunately, the arrow was recovered and was buried in the dirt. Clean miss. A sigh of relief.

On the way back, the sun was setting over the mountain. We drove the fence line to stay on the road. On the way back, we found two bucks on the other side of the fence and just watched. My wife screamed “buck to your right”! It was my buck jolting through the pasture. I slam the truck into park and grab my bow from the back, thinking I can intercept him. I run 100 yards to a berm and wait, but he turned his path.

She screams again “they’re crossing the fence”! The younger buck that was on the other side slid under the fence and jetted towards the pasture while the older one waited. They knew where I was and kept running but I got them to stop on a snort. I hit them with the range finder: 65 yards. I can hit that. I adjust my bow, pull back, aim, breath in breath out, pull the trigger.

Waaaay right, the bucks took off after the cloud of dust hit. Clean miss. We recovered the arrow, no blood but a broken arrowhead.

Which made me realize; the first arrow was far right from what I thought and this arrow I saw report right. My flipping bow is off somehow!

Day 3

I made a mental decision that I’m going to stalk a buck but I’m not shooting. Something is clearly wrong and it’s not worth the aching thought of a piss poor shot going bad. All I want to see is my buck and see if he’ll play ball.

I eventually find him again and decide to employ a strategy that I thought would be too early to use but whatever.

That strategy’s name is Herschel.

Herschel is a decoy buck that I bought. He’s been useless to me but he’s fun to bring around and have a beer with. I decided to see if he can help on this trip.

I get to see my buck and make my way to the north pasture. He immediately pins me but I’m behind a berm. I pull Herschel out and set up the stakes. We had a quick chat about the plan, he seemed to be hungover from the night before cuz he could barely stand. I explained that he needed to get it together, to which he eventually did. I dug his stakes into the barrend ground and my buck got a glimpse. Well Herschel must have made an ugly look cuz he wasn’t into him and took off with the ladies.

My hunt is over.

We pack up and say our farewells to my family and took off to go home. I left with some humility and gratification. Although my wife would disagree and would suggest I was disappointed.

“No” I replied when asked if I was. “This hunt wasn’t about killing a pronghorn. Never was. It was about being home and being with family. Killing the buck would have just been a plus”.

We’re off in 2 weeks for another scouting trip for my mule deer tag. While I’m not one to give out unit names or numbers, what I will say is that there will be pineapples and palm trees in my future…..

IMG_1093.jpeg

Well I have to call an audible this year. I had originally planned on a general unit during the middle of October. I attended a week long work conference and learned that they wanted to reward me for my hard work this year. Ok, cool!

The good news is I’m going to SoCal for a half week resort trip to host some folks while we have our toes in the sand. The bad news is that it overlaps with that hunt. No good deed goes unpunished.

That being said, I’m scrambling to find a new general unit that starts in September or October 1st. I had a goal of a 5-point bull, but any raghorn is good at this point. I won’t have time to physically scout the unit so the pressure is on.

But the other good news is I’ll be elk hunting way earlier than anticipated. And, in the rut with a rifle!

We’re two days away from the first rifle hunt of the year. I’ve had the itch pretty badly and it’s a tickling feeling to know I’ll be rifle hunting for something that’s not a pronghorn in September. Gotta love Wyoming.

I’m not one to blast out units, but for my NR friends, just know that it’ll be a ‘G’reat ‘H’unt!

Going in completely blind aside from reading Game and Fish reports, and escouting. Didn’t even ask for help on this one, and I did so on purpose. I have a problem with how I got my deer last year, I had some major coaching when in the field. And while I’m very appreciative of that, I need to prove to myself that I can find mature deer on my own out of the rut. No better way to find out than trying on a general tag. Even tougher, four-point restriction for this unit. It’ll be tough but rewarding if I just find one.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozarkhuntress
Back