This has been bothering me for a while.

I think you might have this backwards (because the English language is goofy like that).

Possessive: its.
Contraction of “it” and “is”: it’s.
Oh, man, I was completely and self-righteously wrong.
Though they're pronounced the same, there's a big difference in meaning between its and it's.
  1. Its (without an apostrophe) is the possessive form of it, so it means “belonging to it.” “The cat ate its food.”
  2. It's (with an apostrophe) is a contraction (shortened form) of it is or it has. “It's almost Christmas.” It's my bad. It's a good thing you guys are gentle in your corrections. It's a bitch to be wrong.
  3. 1723326681286.png

Check out what the first inventor called it on his patent.
It morphed from silencer to suppressor to mor accurately describe it, only bad Hollywood writers call it a silencer. Maybe it's just a military thing, but what do those guys know about weapons. Every time I hear a civilian call it a silencer I picture them dressed in tacticool gear, jerking one to the Steven Segal poster glued to the ceiling over their bed, only it's not glue holding it in place

The pineapple on pizza thing used to really bother me (I HAD a body altering bad experience!!!!) until I lived in Italy. They will literally put anything on a pizza. A big favorite in Northern Italy is wurstel e patatine fritte (hotdog and french fry) due largley to the influx of German tourists. My favorite pizzeria had an 8 page menu of variations.

Last edited:
It morphed from silencer to suppressor to mor accurately describe it, only bad Hollywood writers call it a silencer. Maybe it's just a military thing, but what do those guys know about weapons. Every time I hear a civilian call it a silencer I picture them dressed in tacticool gear, jerking one to the Steven Segal poster glued to the ceiling over their bed, only it's not glue holding it in place
Your imagination is overly fertile, imho. I like the tradition of what the inventor called it.

Every time I hear someone go on about military vocabulary, I do get the same Segal image.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meatball
Back