Some of you need to read this

Lostinthewoods

Administrator
Staff member
There is a saying - 20% of people do 80% of the work.
Well 20% of you are 80% of the reason people are leaving HT or not wanting to post in the first place.

Whether you are a legacy user or brand new, I would urge you to read this thread. https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/read-this-and-behave-accordingly.297340/
Using Randy's words so you can have a clear understanding - "I keep Hunt Talk around because it is a huge benefit to the WHY of our operation - To promote self-guided public land hunting and create advocates for that cause.".

He then goes on to provide you simple guidelines to help foster a culture around here and keep it on the right track.

To make it easier on some of you, here are a few ideas that might help keep your account active.

1. Add something valuable and useful to the discussion. That is the purpose of this forum. Add value to that. If you can't do that, go to a different part of the WWW. Go for a walk. Go shoot your bow. Go do some hunting research. Being negative, combative, confrontational, is not going to change one single mind on this forum. And it does nothing to benefit the discussion.

2. Start threads that have something to do with public land hunting and conservation. Ancillary threads, those with high propensity for derailment will be deleted as soon as I see them. And the accounts of those who want to continually start such threads will be deleted.

3. Understand what a discussion is. It is sharing of perspectives, information, and stories that help. A discussion is not an effort to make sure everyone agrees with you.

4. Understand that everyone has a different life experience and therefore those experiences create a different lens through which others see the world. There is nothing in the forum rules that say you have to accost anyone with a different perspective on a topic. May I suggest you think about what the other person wrote and try to figure out what life experiences might have brought them to a perspective different from yours.

5. If someone posts a request for advice or input either give them advice or move along to a different thread. There is no rule that says you have to pitch a fit and act like an ass if someone asks for information. Either share something or go find a thread/post to which you can post something helpful.

I'm a military guy so my job is easy. I'll delete posts that done align with Randy's rules, guidelines, or mission.
We are also keeping notes of the repeat offenders or the ones who usually send us down the toxic rabbit holes.

Thank you for your time.
- DTP

There is a saying - 20% of people do 80% of the work.
Well 20% of you are 80% of the reason people are leaving HT or not wanting to post in the first place.

Whether you are a legacy user or brand new, I would urge you to read this thread. https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/read-this-and-behave-accordingly.297340/
Using Randy's words so you can have a clear understanding - "I keep Hunt Talk around because it is a huge benefit to the WHY of our operation - To promote self-guided public land hunting and create advocates for that cause.".

He then goes on to provide you simple guidelines to help foster a culture around here and keep it on the right track.

To make it easier on some of you, here are a few ideas that might help keep your account active.

1. Add something valuable and useful to the discussion. That is the purpose of this forum. Add value to that. If you can't do that, go to a different part of the WWW. Go for a walk. Go shoot your bow. Go do some hunting research. Being negative, combative, confrontational, is not going to change one single mind on this forum. And it does nothing to benefit the discussion.

2. Start threads that have something to do with public land hunting and conservation. Ancillary threads, those with high propensity for derailment will be deleted as soon as I see them. And the accounts of those who want to continually start such threads will be deleted.

3. Understand what a discussion is. It is sharing of perspectives, information, and stories that help. A discussion is not an effort to make sure everyone agrees with you.

4. Understand that everyone has a different life experience and therefore those experiences create a different lens through which others see the world. There is nothing in the forum rules that say you have to accost anyone with a different perspective on a topic. May I suggest you think about what the other person wrote and try to figure out what life experiences might have brought them to a perspective different from yours.

5. If someone posts a request for advice or input either give them advice or move along to a different thread. There is no rule that says you have to pitch a fit and act like an ass if someone asks for information. Either share something or go find a thread/post to which you can post something helpful.

I'm a military guy so my job is easy. I'll delete posts that done align with Randy's rules, guidelines, or mission.
We are also keeping notes of the repeat offenders or the ones who usually send us down the toxic rabbit holes.

Thank you for your time.
- DTP
Great to see this!

How about the Sunday picture, landscapes, gardens, old buildings, and such threads? Although not about hunting or public lands, they do have an entertainment and learning value.
Are you suggesting we not start such a thread?

Thank you for your great question.
To your point, those are high use threads, lots of people enjoy them, they bring value, and live perfectly in the "fireside" section of the Hunting forum.
I am not suggesting we don't start those threads.

The fireside subsection provides users the opportunity to talk about the "other" stuff outside of hunting.
There are also many other "fun stuff" subsections.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishonfleek
Back