Solo Elk hunting

Heard on the last podcast that @Big Fin was going to try elk hunting solo during archery. I thought it might be useful to give a list of mistakes we solo-archery hunters have made.
I will start - Cow calling without an arrow nocked. Ugh!
Uh..realizing you are never getting the elk you shot out of that hell hole without meat loss.

Heard on the last podcast that @Big Fin was going to try elk hunting solo during archery. I thought it might be useful to give a list of mistakes we solo-archery hunters have made.
I will start - Cow calling without an arrow nocked. Ugh!
Cow calling and not being hidden. Different bull than what I was calling at stepped out at 40 yards and spotted me totally wide open.

Only if he uses him for the pack out.
But that is still success. Most of solo hunting is mental. See @TOGIE thread on his WY general tag. At least the camera guy is there for mental support. Either way, I’m excited to see this, but I think it will certainly go on the YouTube channel under “$hit to never do again”.

But that is still success. Most of solo hunting is mental. See @TOGIE thread on his WY general tag. At least the camera guy is there for mental support. Either way, I’m excited to see this, but I think it will certainly go on the YouTube channel under “$hit to never do again”.
This. The mental part when you are truly solo hunting is the biggest part to overcome. It’s always easier for me to push into that next drainage and stay till dark when I have a buddy with me. A lot of times I’ll use the (I couldn’t get one out of there by myself excuse) but not sure that’s all it is.

Alright I just reread that thread. The mental support came from the McDouble, so the first mistake I’m not making this year is forgetting about that bad boy.

Not being in good enough shape prior to season! No one pushes me harder than myself 🤷

I haven't made this mistake, but have been mindful in the past during some warm weather hunts. Have someone within a couple hours that'll drop everything to help you get one out of the mountains if it's warm out. Or work all night!!

Last year: Finding elk, putting on a good 1 plus hour stalk. Knowing they are up on a ridge bedded and I need to climb do I stopped to pee. While peeing looking up to see a cow staring down at me. Thankfully she didn’t spook but she was locked on me. Ended up making up the backside to find them a make a kill.

So, don’t pee.

Last year: Finding elk, putting on a good 1 plus hour stalk. Knowing they are up on a ridge bedded and I need to climb do I stopped to pee. While peeing looking up to see a cow staring down at me. Thankfully she didn’t spook but she was locked on me. Ended up making up the backside to find them a make a kill.

So, don’t pee.
Having a cow lock on you is familiar. I can often recall saying to myself “no way that &*tch sees me”. But there is nothing to distract her or pull her attention away, even if it is 20yrs. They just stare…It’s a sixth sense that keeps them alive I guess.

So, don’t pee.
Just piss your pants like a marathon runner

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jachanzar91
Back