Solo Elk hunting

Slow down. When I'm hunting with a buddy, I'm way better at taking a second to strategize and make a plan. Solo, I just barge in making the plan while I go, and so far that hasn't panned out. I also overdo it sometimes. Two years ago I had a day where I was just behind a bull and group of cows all morning, but I kept pushing them just a little too hard. By 11, I'd hiked 7 miles with 3,000ft of elevation gain and was out of water so I had to back out.

1. Don't over estimate your true physical condition and ability.
2. Don't hunt too fast and lose your self control and good judgement.
3. Don't lose your resilience, focus and tenacity to hunt hard and smart.
4. Talk yourself into using common sense (you can't rely on anyone else).
5. When calling, have an arrow notched.
5. Don't pull up camp, because you have no one to talk to.

5. Don't pull up camp, because you have no one to talk to.
I'm a little confused by this one, and maybe it is the comma. Are you saying don't quit or don't move camp because you have doubts?

i am curious on solo set-ups, but have never found good ones. Some suggest sitting water, which can be productive. Others say "project your call behind you" which seems more wishful than it is effective. If I call, I like to immediately move 30yds (downwind preferably). I have been busted a few times trying to do this, so somewhere in the process my timing is off.

I'm a little confused by this one, and maybe it is the comma. Are you saying don't quit or don't move camp because you have doubts?

i am curious on solo set-ups, but have never found good ones. Some suggest sitting water, which can be productive. Others say "project your call behind you" which seems more wishful than it is effective. If I call, I like to immediately move 30yds (downwind preferably). I have been busted a few times trying to do this, so somewhere in the process my timing is off.
Or just don't call...

Or just don't call...
If that is ever an option, I take it. But that relies a lot on chance, and often times I trying to "catch" up to the elk. Calling might be a bit of a last resort to try to reverse them. It will work sometimes, but hard to convince them I'm not where that sound came from.

If that is ever an option, I take it. But that relies a lot on chance, and often times I trying to "catch" up to the elk. Calling might be a bit of a last resort to try to reverse them. It will work sometimes, but hard to convince them I'm not where that sound came from.
I'm strictly a "cut em off" guy. About the only calling I do is locating.

Now, I will and have called in bulls for others.

It's interesting hearing solo callers strategies tho.

Bring books, nicotine, podcasts, battery banks. All the creature comforts that’ll keep you on the mountain longer. Killed most of my elk solo. A lot of times I’d drop a camp a week or two early so I don’t kill myself getting in. Now I just bring a tarp and light bag and always have it with me. Definitely helps to have a knowledgeable caller with but very doable without. Slow play them like the elk nut says. I usually have a few of his podcast downloaded every archery season. Killing a bull isn't bad, killing a big one is hard.

I have called and killed several elk solo. All with a rifle but it’s thick country and all were within bow range. Most of the elk I have shot have been 20-30 yards. I have always just called and sat still never called and creeped forward or anything like that. But I like to get close to elk before calling

I’m newish to archery elk hunting, but you guys nailed mine already: don’t get too far back in there. I had tons of fun interacting with bulls last season, but usually in places that’d be hellish to pack one out solo in the heat.

As for set-ups, I think I’d read on here once that bulls come in expecting to see the cow that’s been mewing at them. Those hangups have been my own experience. Still cool to do the little dance with a bull, but I’ve not been able to get one into arrow flinging distance.

I’ve been considering hanging one of those Montana Decoy elk butts someplace behind me to give a bull a visual and hopefully diminish the hesitation and circling around trying to wind my location. Anyone mess with those on a solo set-up?

I’m newish to archery elk hunting, but you guys nailed mine already: don’t get too far back in there. I had tons of fun interacting with bulls last season, but usually in places that’d be hellish to pack one out solo in the heat.

As for set-ups, I think I’d read on here once that bulls come in expecting to see the cow that’s been mewing at them. Those hangups have been my own experience. Still cool to do the little dance with a bull, but I’ve not been able to get one into arrow flinging distance.

I’ve been considering hanging one of those Montana Decoy elk butts someplace behind me to give a bull a visual and hopefully diminish the hesitation and circling around trying to wind my location. Anyone mess with those on a solo set-up?
Seems like I waste to much time with them when I use to play with it. End up walking back to get it and set it up again instead of working the elk

It seems like I almost always kill my bull solo with my bow. My favorite way to kill a bull is whatever is gonna work. I’ve called stalked ambushed you name it I’ve used it to put an arrow in a bull. Best advice I’d give a solo person is when you leave your boots up don’t have it in your head your gonna use x tatic to fill your tag. I feel when people do that they miss opportunities you’re looking for that elk to make a mistake to take advantage. Unless you have to bugle them in I know those kinds guys.

Seems like I waste to much time with them when I use to play with it. End up walking back to get it and set it up again instead of working the elk
This is how I’ve felt using turkey decoys. I’ll start the season using them and fuss around with them far too much. After like two sessions of this I’ll typically abandon them in favor of covering ground looking for birds.

Always map for base camp location uphill.
Double check for extra blades.
P-cord has salvaged many solo hunts.
Brown down, embrace the suck!
One step in front of the other. I'd rather deal with the sled, 5-6 deboned game bags (wilderness) or cycle / wheeled cart (elsewhere) trudge once, mainly downhill to truck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clinebj22
Back