Solo Elk hunting

I'm a little confused by this one, and maybe it is the comma. Are you saying don't quit or don't move camp because you have doubts?

i am curious on solo set-ups, but have never found good ones. Some suggest sitting water, which can be productive. Others say "project your call behind you" which seems more wishful than it is effective. If I call, I like to immediately move 30yds (downwind preferably). I have been busted a few times trying to do this, so somewhere in the process my timing is off.
After a few days hunting and being alone, I just meant to stick it out and don't quit. If the area has elk don't pack up camp and go home to mommy. With all the time and money invested it's time to put the big boy pants on do what you planned in advance to do. Hunt hard and but hunt smart.

If your comment re. sitting by water meant setting in a natural blind near water/meadow in my opinion one of my favorite methods to hunt cows or bulls. On solo hunts I just call from the blind toward the meadow/dark timber. I like to set my decoy slightly to the side and 30 - 40 feet behind the blind. Ultimately, it's nice to have a caller hidden behind somewhere near the blind. This method take patience and persistence.

Shooting an elk too far from the road solo. I've had to call in backup a couple times. Other than that, I love hunting solo.
We shot my dads bull about 100 yards from the road, we had a few people with us but still got lucky with how close we were!

Did 17 days solo last year and ended up successful. My biggest piece of advice, anytime you make a call, move up atleast 15-30yds and don't call while closing the distance if you're sure the direction of travel. Just get in his bubble, call until you can get him moving your way, move up in front of cover and don't make another sound.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clinebj22
Back