Satelite cell phones?

@SAJ-99 The open source development is available for the Android platform. It is NOT open source for Apple, hence "Free Market" relates to Android. Lingo however you would like - makes no difference to me though to clarify for others...

A co-worker created a fast tactical forest fire app via Android Open Source code then promoted it through those who know his app products and to the public via Google /Microsoft "Store".

Of course Apple, Google, and Microsoft "Stores" are in the business to make $$$. Anyone debating this? Haha!

Open Source is the other spectrum from Apple. One must obtain source code to develop for Apple and only Apple products. Two different business models. I prefer "Free Market" open source vs closed source Apple - though to each his/her own. It's really not a hard topic to comprehend. ;)

The iridium network is maybe 80 satellites and they are older tech, mil spec has always been the lowest bidder...Starlink is up 6k sats...Inreach will be like pagers..they be around till the service plan for your phone gets cheap enough.
Not only that, the orbital distance for data transfer is the value of Starlink. Low orbit sats are continuously overlapping which makes for uninterupted signal.
Agree hah! Great analogy - pagers! :)
The value of Iridium from an SOS standpoint, it's dependable vs Globalstar. That is where SPOT is garbage on the pager grade of Sat use SOS devices.

Starlink isn't a contender in this market at the moment, as it requires much more ground-based equipment, so I'm not sure why we'd compare them.

That said, calling InReach a pager is 100% deserved 🤣. I'm thankful for the tech and use it all the time, but LORT is it a long way behind the state of the art. The only point I was making is that the Iridium (InReach, many satphones, etc) network provides more reliable service than Globalstar (SPOT, iPhones, etc).

p.s., calling the android ecosystem "free market" and the iOS ecosystem not "free market" is straight bonkers. Both platforms are run but mega-companies who are actively trying to make it harder for consumers to swap between them. It's also very unrelated to this thread about which satcom device one should carry.

It's really not a hard topic to comprehend. ;)
I guess it is for me, because I don't see the difference. Like I said, a person can build apps for iPhone on Xcode. You need to buy an annual developers license, but it is a small amount. There have been legal cases on this subject (see EU). If you build an iPhone app and want to distribute it through your own website you can. You don't have to go into the app store and have Apple take their pound of flesh. The risk is that when someone downloads an app that isn't on the app store, there is greater risk of malware. I am sure there is the same thing, or similar, with Android. The vast majority of people are not building the apps. Open source is great until you realize you downloaded something with a bug. That is how both App stores justify charging money. Mostly people choosing android or apple are doing so from a cost perspective or some cooked up conspiracy/semi-political viewpoint. I doubt it is an issue on functionality. Your co-worker may say that Android is simpler or whatever, but could they have done the same thing on an Apple? I would bet yes.

Labeling one “free market” and the other “closed source” does not really move the discussion forward - the real question is what attributes, security, privacy, features, flexibility, etc are you seeking.

For the most part, if security and privacy is your goal Apple does a better job, as they make money on the sales price and not on your data. If you want apps that can change how the underlying OS or user interface work, then Android is your choice.

For the average user, 99% of the apps they use every day are on both platforms - and there is no price or performance difference for those apps between platforms.

I have done plenty of deals with both companies - they are both huge, arrogant companies that are extremely difficult to work with. But there is no question in my mind that Apple is 100% more trustworthy than Google, and that iOS is 200% more secure than Android.

But again, for the average user there is little difference. iOS gives some premium feel, creature comforts and social cachet in the US for those who choose to pay. In the end doesn’t really matter. (Unless you are a friend of mine and the damn green bubbles drive me nuts)

Starlink isn't a contender in this market at the moment, as it requires much more ground-based equipment, so I'm not sure why we'd compare them.

I keep my stralink gear in a 12 gallon tote in the back of the truck...easy to setup at base camp or whever i decide to stop, as the inverter in my truck will power it..There will be folks hunting this fall with starlink on there Tmo device...beta testing this year but the number of folks with the tech will grow exponential in the next 3 yrs. Stralink is the contender, Asat space mobile is another one.

I guess it is for me, because I don't see the difference.
Life of internet forums, right? Opinions, the volume of viewpoints will inevitably find differing viewpoints.

1718832469011.png
@VikingsGuy You tossed an apple amongst my orange. Cheers. "Life of forums". Nothing remotely related to my comment. "Their use of your [our] data"??? Hah! Even my Representatives sell / share my contact info for an ungodly amount of spam political calls - merely from contacting them about constituent issues.
Look up FOSS (Free and Open Source) sometime - that is my intent. I don't disagree with you one iot regarding your comment when viewed outside a response to my post regarding Apple, Android, Microsoft, Google - Jon Tester, Steve Daines, on and on and on. Different tracks of thought, buddy.

Life of internet forums, right? Opinions, the volume of viewpoints will inevitably find differing viewpoints.

View attachment 330280
@VikingsGuy You tossed an apple amongst my orange. Cheers. "Life of forums". Nothing remotely related to my comment. "Their use of your [our] data"??? Hah! Even my Representatives sell / share my contact info for an ungodly amount of spam political calls - merely from contacting them about constituent issues.
Look up FOSS (Free and Open Source) sometime - that is my intent. I don't disagree with you one iot regarding your comment when viewed outside a response to my post regarding Apple, Android, Microsoft, Google - Jon Tester, Steve Daines, on and on and on. Different tracks of thought, buddy.
Screenshot 2024-06-19 at 4.09.12 PM.png

View attachment 330280
You stated open source was your reason for buying one over the other. I responded to that premise by pointing out that is not a very useful criteria. So while we may disagree the reply was on point.

As for “selling your contact info” that is not what they are doing - how about reading all your email strings? I would guess the politicians aren’t doing that.

As for FOSS - hugely over rated once you understand how these companies use that premise.

But we can disagree on those points and the world will still turn.

You stated open source was your reason for buying one over the other. I responded to that premise by pointing out that is not a very useful criteria. So while we may disagree the reply was on point.

As for “selling your contact info” that is not what they are doing - how about reading all your email strings? I would guess the politicians aren’t doing that.

As for FOSS - hugely over rated once you understand how these companies use that premise.

But we can disagree on those points and the world will still turn.
I'll shorten it for you. You're "FOS". ;)

In the memes of SAJ,
1718842858750.png

Apple sucks. There's so many reasons, I don't have time to get in to many... here's a link with a couple of good points.

I currently own a Samsung and an iPhone. I use both every day. If I had a choice, I would drop my iPhone in the lake and laugh while it sank to the bottom.

The only time I recommend someone buys an iPhone is if they're old and only need to simply call and occasionally text.

Ever tried to use apple maps? 🤣🤣🤣

Not sure how this thread ended up being a iPhone vs android debate.

Back to the matter at hand, satellite texting is going to be a major reason for me to upgrade my iPhone 12. I really haven't had much reason to otherwise, but dang if that isn't a great reason to. I don't have an inreach and having one device that can cover both requirements is a no brainer.

For those that worry about battery life, my phone is already my critical map source so battery life is already paramount and planned for accordingly. Not that difficult to carry an external battery in the field.

As for starlink being an option, I'll never trust my safety and reliability to the man running that company. Maybe it's not so bad with him distracted with the other companies, but I avoid anything he touches like the plague.

As for starlink being an option...
Your first sentence answered by you last. Bring up opinions on Sat providers and people may agree or disagree with you. The world of internet forums.

Just wait until January when samsung releases the s24 lineup and get one. I'm not an apple fan but Apple already has this out now in all iPhone 14s.

Opening post brought up he is not a fan of apple products. It's either wait for the Samsung S24 or go with current apple.

Just as you shared your opinion about Elon and Starlink, people shared their opinion on Android or Apple.

As for your opinion regarding Elon thus you're not touching Starlink... Cheers. Revert to SAJ's meme. We all have opinions. 🙂

I think the intent of SOS devices vs current progress of cell phone use places my InReach into the "pagers of the past" as one post shared. Hah! Love that parallel! 😂

I have a sat. phone for emergencies now. And no one has the number...lol
It's almost like having useful comms.
I love the stick antenae.

I think the two are pretty similar. A person can get a developer license and build their own app and download it to their iphone. It is possible to avoid the App Store for both android and apple. But if you want wider distribution, as most do because they want to make money, then you have to go through the App Stores and pay the fees.

I think VG is pointing out that everyone is trying to make money, and anyone working in new developments in either system want to be paid. Satcom is a prime example. Nothing useful in life is free. I have heard that once you get on either company’s “ecosystem” it is hard to switch. But that’s probably a feature not a bug.
My wife and I both just switched from Android to Apple for phones and watches. Wasn't difficult at all other than some very minor annoyances. Nowadays everything will work together with very little set up. For example, I have all of my Microsoft apps (OneDrive, Word, Excel, etc.) on my phone and it all syncs seamlessly between all my other devices.

But at least my messages with friends are now blue instead of green and that seems to make them all very happy lol.

Your first sentence answered by you last. Bring up opinions on Sat providers and people may agree or disagree with you. The world of internet forums.
Eh disagree, very natural progression from satellite texting to other satellite options available.

To go from satellite comms to apple vs android is a petty fight imo.

But I guess the world of internet is a pretty good way to sum it up. Never can stay on track

Carrying in inreach is fine. We do. It's at the bottom of the backpack. Last year I did 2 weeks of solo hunting and I turned it on every now and again to let husband unit know I was still alive lol.

That said I love having my phone on airplane mode for weeks when I'm "out". We had a buddy that messaged his girlfriend back and forth every evening from his inreach on a group camping/climbing trip and it was a vibe that was not welcome. Sat comms on cellphones might enable things like checking work emails or seeing 27 missed texts of Bridgerton tiktoks from my mom and sister while hunting.

signal-2024-06-19-22-18-10-968.png

A friend of mine who has star link sent this to me this morning. Pretty interesting I think. Obviously not packable option, but cool idea anyway.

Isn't T-Mobile getting comms through starlink soon?

I keep my stralink gear in a 12 gallon tote in the back of the truck...easy to setup at base camp or whever i decide to stop, as the inverter in my truck will power it..There will be folks hunting this fall with starlink on there Tmo device...beta testing this year but the number of folks with the tech will grow exponential in the next 3 yrs. Stralink is the contender, Asat space mobile is another one.
The key phrase was "at the moment." I have Starlink at home and the SAR team has one for the unit. They're awesome, and their cell-to-sat tech looks very promising. But it's in beta, and while yeah probably someone will help beta test the new system while hunting this fall, none of that makes them an actual contender in the market for which satcom system folks should choose for backcountry hunts this fall.

The same applies for Samsung/Android. There are indications that they will launch something soon, but so far they haven't.

The only actual options right now for everyday folks are Apple iPhone 14 or newer, or the existing dedicated devices (InReach, SPOT, Zoleo, etc).

If by some magic Apple delivers on their promise of sat texting with iOS 18 in time for me to test it out before hunting (please, everyone: test your systems BEFORE you rely on them!), I might leave my InReach at home. But probably not. It doesn't weigh much, and I already have it, so...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kdtex7
Back