Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

SpaceX/Starlink To Topple All Backcountry Satellite Services

Received this email today. Just take your portable dish with you. I could see backcountry content creators using this, especially if a llama can carry it.

Screenshot_20240622_122632_AOL.jpg

Received this email today. Just take your portable dish with you. I could see backcountry content creators using this, especially if a llama can carry it.

View attachment 330509
I can see base camps / outfitter operations able to conduct full business straight from camp.

Wait til T-Mobile/ Starlink release FULL cell phone use - anywhere.

T-Mobile wanted to put up an array on our 120' com tower but couldn't hit any of their other signals. We have been stuck with verlieson for many years. I would do anything to get away from them. They phased out analog and signals got worse. They replaced 3 with 4 and now installed their latest and greatest 5g and it is horrible.

Sounds intriguing, but do I really want work to find me in the alpine on POW.

My first thought was something tangential to this- I wonder how many people will utilize this type of advancement as a tool to enable even more “remote work?” Remote work has allowed for people to spread to parts they were previously unable to live- does this extend that nearer to or even into the back country?

My second thought: how long until we start seeing live-stream hunts (who knows, maybe already have)? Virtual guiding?

I can see base camps / outfitter operations able to conduct full business straight from camp.

Yep. Not just outfitters, either.

I know that personally, while my job is not remote, being connected would probably enable me a few extra days away. Much less enjoyable days than if they were completely unconnected, but more days nonetheless.

Wait til T-Mobile/ Starlink release FULL cell phone use - anywhere.
The whole thing is sacrilegious aside from emergency services. Leave me alone! Even in my boat, phone calls and talk about ex wives is not allowed!

I know that personally, while my job is not remote, being connected would probably enable me a few extra days away. Much less enjoyable days than if they were completely unconnected, but more days nonetheless.
This is certainly something that impacts my vacation away from work. Reality is that I cannot really be gone for more than a typical 5 day work week but if I'm able to check in on emails and respond, it does allow that window to stretch quite a bit.

This is certainly something that impacts my vacation away from work. Reality is that I cannot really be gone for more than a typical 5 day work week but if I'm able to check in on emails and respond, it does allow that window to stretch quite a bit.
This. It has enabled me to be away on hunting trips out to 3 weeks at a time. I tote my office with me. Just being able to keep up is huge for me. In my world checking out completely can be very expensive. Fortunately I enjoy what I do for work and I’m mostly interested in being able to get out of town.
I’m very interested in Startlink.

I remember being in a national forest deer hunting. I was leaned up against a tree as big around as a kitchen table. I dumped out my day pack. A camera, cell phone and a gps unit spilled out on the ground. I jokingly said to my buddy “ Be nice if all these gizmos was in one unit”. He said “ beam me up Scotty” we laughed like we would never see such a thing. Now here we are. Not to mention emails, texts,weather, radar, moving documents , an app for licenses and streaming video into and out of the same device. Amazing to an old guy like me.

Heard about this. Or something similar.
Still waiting for my new Starlink system. Since xmas...the original was great,until it died. We have a satellite overhead.

The verizon cell worked good thru starlink,when it worked.
Starlink is the internet solution for much of the area we are house-shopping in up in Idaho. I think I don't much care, the goal is retirement of the computer and smart phone as much as possible.

David
NM

Yep. For the past two years, though, I have not had one single day of PTO (except the day of my shoulder surgery) that I was not doing work. Being the only guy that does what I do is pretty good for job security, but it stinks when I try to relax. By that, I can't relax unless I have access to my phone and email so I know what dumpster fire is waiting on me when I get back.

David
NM

Starlink is the internet solution for much of the area we are house-shopping in up in Idaho. I think I don't much care, the goal is retirement of the computer and smart phone as much as possible.

David
NM
I would not use any of it ,if I could.
All my medical info runs thru a pc and cell.
Have a video chat through the cell phone this morning,with my death nurse. Pallitive care.
Had one with my Oncologist last Fri. No meeting with him again til Oct, via cell.

Given up on starlink and their terrible service. He loves the dough but guy can't provide quality service. Works great ,til it quits working.
New hughs net is a suck it up and get to live in this day and age.

I would not use any of it ,if I could.
All my medical info runs thru a pc and cell.
Have a video chat through the cell phone this morning,with my death nurse. Pallitive care.
Had one with my Oncologist last Fri. No meeting with him again til Oct, via cell.

Given up on starlink and their terrible service. He loves the dough but guy can't provide quality service. Works great ,til it quits working.
New hughs net is a suck it up and get to live in this day and age.
The "newest and greatest technology" is fine for those that fit in the bubble it works for. Those of us on the outside, sit here scratching my head at WTF am I missing? The world has this wonderful gizmo thing called the Internet. Most folks in my area don't have access and wouldn't know what to do with it if it did work.

Life is already so loud and distracting. The solitude and adventure that comes with being really off-grid is something we shouldn't be so eager to give up for convenience.

when i go out of office i put "i will have intermittent or no cell service" in my out of office reply no matter where i go.

Been using Starlink to work remote all year...it has a power off button and I do use it.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kdtex7
Back