Caribou Gear

SpaceX/Starlink To Topple All Backcountry Satellite Services

Life is already so loud and distracting. The solitude and adventure that comes with being really off-grid is something we shouldn't be so eager to give up for convenience.
I just went to AK where this was truly the case - 100% complete cutoff from cell service, power, plumbing, etc. with only my inReach and a few select text messages that went out to family and friends mostly just letting them know we were ok. It was fantastic and loved every minute of the solitude. It however only lasted 7 days and was about the limit of what I could do because of the job position I hold and what I do (no one can cover my job position nor handle the questions and issues that can arise while I'm out). If I had access to make some phone calls and email, I could do 2-3 weeks instead if I wanted to.

I just went to AK where this was truly the case - 100% complete cutoff from cell service, power, plumbing, etc. with only my inReach and a few select text messages that went out to family and friends mostly just letting them know we were ok. It was fantastic and loved every minute of the solitude. It however only lasted 7 days and was about the limit of what I could do because of the job position I hold and what I do (no one can cover my job position nor handle the questions and issues that can arise while I'm out). If I had access to make some phone calls and email, I could do 2-3 weeks instead if I wanted to.

But at the same time, you're just trading your personal time for company time, while you'd be on vacation.

To each their own, though.

(no one can cover my job position nor handle the questions and issues that can arise while I'm out).

1. Are you sure? No one?

2. Even if they can’t, so what?

*Please don’t take this as a lecture, because I battle those exact same demons- it’s much easier to point it out for someone else than it than yourself, I acknowledge that 100%.

@Ben Lamb you are exactly right about this, and it’s something I think about all the time. Probably worthy of its own thread, because it looks like it is a fairly common battle these days.

1. Are you sure? No one?

2. Even if they can’t, so what?

*Please don’t take this as a lecture, because I battle those exact same demons- it’s much easier to point it out for someone else than it than yourself, I acknowledge that 100%.

@Ben Lamb you are exactly right about this, and it’s something I think about all the time. Probably worthy of its own thread, because it looks like it is a fairly common battle these days.
1. Yes, that is correct. There is not someone else trained or able to immediate take over my duties and the project specific items that come up. While I am out, there is a person assigned to respond or help if needed but most of the time is "he will address when he is back in the office on Monday".

2. The perks and benefits of my company along with my job position do come with and imply working out of work hours. It's just part of signing up to do the job and accept the promotions. It's a salaried position based on 45 hours of work in a week up to 50 hours. When you take a week off, that's just the 40 hour work week and you are excepted to still pretty much give the extra 5 hours while on your paid time off still. There is a point in your career here where you check the box accepting your promotion and acknowledging that you know what that means in terms of commitment.

There is a point in your career here where you check the box accepting your promotion and acknowledging that you know what that means in terms of commitment.

Yep, I get you dude.

There is also a point, a few/several years after reaching that one, in which you start to realize you can just say “f$&@ it” and enjoy yourself for a while.

Getting there mentally is extremely difficult for some of us, me included (I am asking these questions to challenge myself all the time).

Yep, I get you dude.

There is also a point, a few/several years after reaching that one, in which you start to realize you can just say “f$&@ it” and enjoy yourself for a while.

Getting there mentally is extremely difficult for some of us, present included.
I'm putting in the time now with the plan of calling it quits in 2030 - at the ripe age of 43. I view it all worth the effort and pain now of being completely tied and committed to my job knowing that I can partially retire at such an early age.

If it allows people more opportunities, by all means use it.
Remote work has transformed a fair segment of certain employment sectors.

Example, I was in Cabo Pulmo, off grid, no sleeze bag Cabo San Lucas begging tip/$ location.
Scuba dived with a young gal from Spain. She was working remotely for a bio pharma company. If not for remote work, less opportunities to get out and enjoy life.

Remote work does not omit Annual Leave, it compliments life.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kdtex7
Back