Votes: 2 10.5%
  • 80gr TTSX

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • 95gr SST

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Other

Votes: 3 15.8%

• Total voters
You might be a big tough man that’s only been around super tough kids that’d never consider flinching from a 243, but I can tell you with certainty that basically all of the 15 year old and younger kids I help sight in deer rifles every fall are doing their damnedest to fight off flinching. Even with a 243.
I'll look forward to your report on this issue with your randomly assigned 223 Rem control group. Don't forget I'm a stickler for statistical significance.

You might be a big tough man that’s only been around super tough kids that’d never consider flinching from a 243, but I can tell you with certainty that basically all of the 15 year old and younger kids I help sight in deer rifles every fall are doing their damnedest to fight off flinching. Even with a 243.
You have no idea about how tough I am or what I know about teaching kids to shoot. Thanks though. Carry on. mtmuley

I'll look forward to your report on this issue with your randomly assigned 223 Rem control group. Don't forget I'm a stickler for statistical significance.

Sorry, I cant deliver. I just annually volunteer at my private range while 100+ (maybe 200+ some years?) hunters come in for public rifle sight in days over the course of 2 weekends. In the past I've had a basic factory sporter 223 with me. Seeing kids struggle ive had them shoot the 223 as a "proof of ability" with a known rifle and seeing the smiles, confidence, and lack of hesitance to shoot more is a telling contrast to when they are shooting something bigger.

I'm in no way trying to argue that kids cant or wont shoot normal 243 loads effectively but rather that there is a benefit to even less recoil and noise.

I made up some 120grain 7mm-08 loads on the minimum side for my then 7 year old son and 75 year old father. They both killed deer with them. I have since upped the "light load" a little for my dad (he'll be 90 this year). He doesn't practice anymore (I check his zero) but he won't hesitate to take a shot for fearing the recoil. At this point he goes hunting just to be going....but just in case he is armed ha ha.

I think just calling them "light loads" helped them both.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mleonard23
Back