Votes: 2 10.5%
  • 80gr TTSX

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • 95gr SST

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Other

Votes: 3 15.8%

• Total voters
I don’t disagree on any particular point. By saying we overthink it, I’m mainly getting at the idea that factory 243 loads are already light on recoil, and reduced-recoil hand loads are going to be only a minor change.

If he’s flinching with factory 243 loads, some practice with a 22wmr or 223 might better serve. Obviously if you don’t have easy access to those, then by all means load away with the least recoil you can achieve.
You can load 243 win down to 223 level recoil with a 90 grain bullet. That’s a noteworthy difference!

I did reduced recoil loads with sierras for my boys for target practice only. For hunting I used the real deal. They never knew the difference. But of the 3 bullets you asked about my vote would be partitions hands down.

I don't think the issue of expansion velocity for monos is really a consideration inside of 150 yards. I've loaded several reduced loads for my kids' .308 using Barnes bullets and they've done fine on deer and pronghorn. I just make sure the bullet is going 2200fps+ at their max range.

I built Missy T a load for her 6.5 WBY RPM on an 118HHT Hammer and H4895. It fills that big(ish) case enough to avoid the dreaded flashover effect. The loads are in the 6.5x55 range.
Tried lighter 6.5 Hammers, but the 1 in 8 twist wouldn't group them as well as the 118HHT.

The rifle is 7lbs scoped but is a recoil pussycat. They do chamber it in 243 and I was sure I had made a mistake going to 6.5 RPM for a while, but she likes it. When she wants to use it on elk, I will put together some elk loads for it.

It has sparked my interest in a Backcountry Ti in the same caliber. It would be a wicked back country combo.

Am I right with the impression Aussie/Kiwi hunters tend to go lighter in cartridge for like-sized game relative to North American hunters? Seems like I hear a lot about .220 Swift and .243 from y’all and rarely a mention of a .300 RUM or some other whiz bang thunder f*cker.
No we've never embraced the 220 swift, at the moment the 223 is all the rage with 8 to 1 twist and heavy projectiles.

Am I right with the impression Aussie/Kiwi hunters tend to go lighter in cartridge for like-sized game relative to North American hunters? Seems like I hear a lot about .220 Swift and .243 from y’all and rarely a mention of a .300 RUM or some other whiz bang thunder f*cker.
There's a gentleman over on the Hammer site that uses the big boomers. And the peashooters too. He is in Australia. The amount of kills is mind numbing. mtmuley

I did reduced recoil loads with sierras for my boys for target practice only. For hunting I used the real deal. They never knew the difference.
This is my point as well.

I'm not denying that you can tell the difference between a hot load and a reduced load; I just don't think that, if you're using the same rifle, a reduced-recoil load will actually be the difference between learning good fundamentals and developing a flinch.

As a side note, it's worth re-emphasizing the point made above that proper ear protection and eye protection will go a looong way towards making shooting more comfortable, especially for learners.

Eye pro in particular is underappreciated in this regard. Nothing like a shockwave to the eyes to make you flinch!

No we've never embraced the 220 swift, at the moment the 223 is all the rage with 8 to 1 twist and heavy projectiles.
America would do well to learn from this experience, IMHO.

(Cue some "patriot" who thinks American animals are tougher to kill than their southern cousins.)

This is my point as well.

I'm not denying that you can tell the difference between a hot load and a reduced load; I just don't think that, if you're using the same rifle, a reduced-recoil load will actually be the difference between learning good fundamentals and developing a flinch.

As a side note, it's worth re-emphasizing the point made above that proper ear protection and eye protection will go a looong way towards making shooting more comfortable, especially for learners.

Eye pro in particular is underappreciated in this regard. Nothing like a shockwave to the eyes to make you flinch!
You want new shooters to concentrate on form and mechanics. Which means minimizing felt recoil and noise.

Put it this way...do we start young drivers out with a Fast hard to control sports car?

Lots of research shows recoil in the area of 11-14 pounds and greater impacts shooting performance of any shooter. I would guess new shooters even more so.

Some avg numbers. Obviously this varies a little based on rifle setup/weight, but just speaking generally, recoil is in ft/lbs. Grain bullet,velocity,barrel twist.

243 Win. (75; 3400; 8.5)7.2
.243 Win. (95; 3100; 7.25)11
.243 Win. (100; 2960; 7.5)8.8

6.5 PRC with 143 at roughly 2950 gets you to about 15lbs. I believe the factory Hornady loads are near those numbers.

Most 6.5 Creedmore loads should be below 14lbs assuming something near a typical rifle setup.

Last edited:
You want new shooters to concentrate on form and mechanics. Which means minimizing felt recoil and noise.

Put it this way...do we start young drivers out with a Fast hard to control sports car?
The analogy is a good one. My point is that it makes far more sense to start a young driver in a Camry than in mtmuley's Camaro with a 10% limiter.

A 243 is already a Camry.

If they can't handle that, then a go-cart is a better option than putting a limiter on an already mild-mannered car.

Just for clarity, none of this is to actually say that the OP shouldn't create a mild load for their kid. Tinkering with a powerful engine to make it a good learner car is an interesting and fun challenge. If you want that challenge, go for it. There are lots of great suggestions already on this thread.

I'm only meaning to say that there are easier ways to get the job done. Sometimes the hard way is fun though, as... uh... everyone who loads their own ammo is already aware 😅.

The kid has a 243 and that’s what it seems he’s going to shoot. It’s not a challenge, or tinkering, or whatever other analogy to make a load that recoils notably less than a full house 243 and shoots well enough that it is not close to being the critical factor for making good kill shots inside 150 yards.

I don’t buy that a kid won’t be well aware of the difference between full house 243 recoil and muzzle blast and 223 level recoil/muzzle blast AND have differing levels of concern/likelihood of a flinch between those two.

I probably am over thinking thing's a bit it's kinda what I do. Just don't want to develop any bad habits and want him to enjoy shooting his rifle. We absolutely use ear and eye pro at all times and he loves it so far. I appreciate all the advice and hope to post some pics of a dead deer this fall. I ended up going with a 87gr SST (my friend had some he traded me for tge ttsx) with 39gr of 4831sc. Made our first 5 today and we will shoot them this week.20240623_142917.jpg

The kid has a 243 and that’s what it seems he’s going to shoot. It’s not a challenge, or tinkering, or whatever other analogy to make a load that recoils notably less than a full house 243 and shoots well enough that it is not close to being the critical factor for making good kill shots inside 150 yards.

I don’t buy that a kid won’t be well aware of the difference between full house 243 recoil and muzzle blast and 223 level recoil/muzzle blast AND have differing levels of concern/likelihood of a flinch between those two.
Full house .243 recoil and muzzle blast. Here we are. mtmuley

Full house .243 recoil and muzzle blast. Here we are. mtmuley
You might be a big tough man that’s only been around super tough kids that’d never consider flinching from a 243, but I can tell you with certainty that basically all of the 15 year old and younger kids I help sight in deer rifles every fall are doing their damnedest to fight off flinching. Even with a 243.

I probably am over thinking thing's a bit it's kinda what I do. Just don't want to develop any bad habits and want him to enjoy shooting his rifle. We absolutely use ear and eye pro at all times and he loves it so far. I appreciate all the advice and hope to post some pics of a dead deer this fall. I ended up going with a 87gr SST (my friend had some he traded me for tge ttsx) with 39gr of 4831sc. Made our first 5 today and we will shoot them this week.View attachment 330634
Have fun!

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kdtex7
Back