PEAX Equipment

Randy Needs to Write a Book & I Need Your Help

The chronicles of years chasing the Grey Ghosts of AZ and failing and ultimately succeeding. The mental toll those little sons a guns can have on a hunter is a battle!

But does Randy want to write a book? That’s the only thing that matters here.

Randy (and many others) have lots of cool stories, but that doesn’t entitle us to their hours of labor to put those stories in print.

Is this an offer to be a pro-bono ghost writer?

But does Randy want to write a book? That’s the only thing that matters here.

Randy (and many others) have lots of cool stories, but that doesn’t entitle us to their hours of labor to put those stories in print.

Is this an offer to be a pro-bono ghost writer?
We have talked about it extensively, and I think it mostly comes down to time, so if I can provide a lift there I will.

And no, I wouldn't ghost write. The reality is Randy has thousands of words written already, they need to be compiled and edited. You lot know this site way better than I do so I figured I'd ask before I start digging. He's been a friend and mentor to me for nearly ten years, so I owe him something anyway ;)

Also, way to be the antagonist. There's always one in every HT thread. LMAO

We have talked about it extensively, and I think it mostly comes down to time, so if I can provide a lift there I will.

And no, I wouldn't ghost write. The reality is Randy has thousands of words written already, they need to be compiled and edited. You lot know this site way better than I do so I figured I'd ask before I start digging. He's been a friend and mentor to me for nearly ten years, so I owe him something anyway ;)

I'd recommend that he write some children's books. They would be much more profitable and even the kids over on Rokslid could read them.

Thanks for clarifying. The OP read to me like a call to action for help lifting what he’s written, after not being successful through pressuring him directly. As we haven’t gotten any indication from the man himself that he’s ok with this, it sounded a lot like plagiarism, especially if the intent is to compile these into a book that will be sold for profit.

As a writer yourself, I’m sure you can understand the concern given the limited details.

The experience that had the most impact on how I think about hunting is the Wyoming elk hunt from the On Your Own Adventure days. Getting snowed in and battling those brutal conditions looked awful, but the mentality to stick with it no matter what is huge in hunting and other aspects of life.

Thanks for clarifying. The OP read to me like a call to action for help lifting what he’s written, after not being successful through pressuring him directly. As we haven’t gotten any indication from the man himself that he’s ok with this, it sounded a lot like plagiarism, especially if the intent is to compile these into a book that will be sold for profit.

As a writer yourself, I’m sure you can understand the concern given the limited details.
Thanks for thinking of my interest in this.

Nicole has been hounding me to do this for years. I always explain, "Yeah, when I have time, I'll get to it." Which has never really happened, as I never have time and I don't see anything real "print worthy" in my writings.

I also have a portfolio of childhood stories that my family has asked me to get into a book. Some of them have made it to "Shop Stories" out on our YouTube channel. I give them the same, "When I have time...." excuse.

It doesn't surprise me that Nicole made this request here on HT. She's as determined as I am distracted.

I don't see anything real "print worthy" in my writings.
I think that in this one, in particular, there are a lot of "printworthy" words and images, really all of the "dream location" stories are filled with wisdom, and lots of direct and indirect reflections on what's really important and lasting in those rare experiences that a person has spent a lifetime dreaming about and gets to do eventually, in my experience it's all too easy to check the box and move on, missing the tremendous appreciation for friends and partners that share the experience, the work that went into making the dream happen, all the things that are far more important in the long run than a grip and grin...
@Big Fin gets it, and it comes through in the stories...

Possibly my favorite @Big Fin hunting story

I think that in this one, in particular, there are a lot of "printworthy" words and images, really all of the "dream location" stories are filled with wisdom, and lots of direct and indirect reflections on what's really important and lasting in those rare experiences that a person has spent a lifetime dreaming about and gets to do eventually, in my experience it's all too easy to check the box and move on, missing the tremendous appreciation for friends and partners that share the experience, the work that went into making the dream happen, all the things that are far more important in the long run than a grip and grin...
@Big Fin gets it, and it comes through in the stories...

Beat me by less than a minute lol

Thanks for thinking of my interest in this.

Nicole has been hounding me to do this for years. I always explain, "Yeah, when I have time, I'll get to it." Which has never really happened, as I never have time and I don't see anything real "print worthy" in my writings.

I also have a portfolio of childhood stories that my family has asked me to get into a book. Some of them have made it to "Shop Stories" out on our YouTube channel. I give them the same, "When I have time...." excuse.

It doesn't surprise me that Nicole made this request here on HT. She's as determined as I am distracted.
Randy, get you a voice recorder, tell those stories into it while driving or walleye fishing, then have an intern transcribe those into text. Then you already have step one done.

Edit: There's probably some AI tool that does this for you already. But I work with AI and I don't know if I would trust it to get everything right yet.

Back