Need your help, guys and gals - when do I say goodbye?

My Airedale York is the best dog I have ever had. Born on my oldest son's birthday twelve years ago, he has been the model of devotion to our family. Trail buddy, mouse and squirrel hunter and rabbit chaser, and overall fun and dependable companion.

He has a very enlarged prostate, which pretty much shuts down his ability to poop normally. He has declined now to nothing but liquid out the back end. He's also lost weight, down about 15 pounds from "prime". Very little energy, but still passes the puppy test when he greets us in the morning or after we have been gone, and still will do anything for a greenie or a chunk of cheese. But most of the day he sleeps, and except for the four times every night I have to put him out so he can try and poop, he sleeps all night.

I know the end is on the way, just don't really know how to tell. I think I am ready to do it when appropriate, but it might look different when the time does come. Just tearing me up inside to see him so sick.

Any wise counsel is appreciated. This old fart has never raised a dog from puppy before this guy, my thinking is certainly not going to be straight.

David
NM
I had the same question three months ago, but when she start having tremors, was jerking in pain and quit eating I had to do it. I knew I couldn't let her suffer any longer out if my own selfishness. Didn't make it any easier though.

The bad thing is that she was "energized and alert" on the way to the vet five miles away. Anomoly?

It was the hardest, worst time of my life. She was my soul mate. I sometimes feel like I murdered her by having her put down, but I knew it was time.

I still have times when I cry. What a gift she was. I think about her every minute of every day.

I am sorry you have to go through this. It is a risk we take when we love those little boogers.

Never a simple equation. Hank and me crying on the phone together yesterday, with me sure I would be calling the vet Monday for an appointment. Today, he grabs my arm in his mouth to lead me to the door, to GO somewhere. He helped me pull weeds today, then went with us to the "Tub" (Bathtub Row brewing in Los Alamos, look up the history of that name) and was the consumate gentleman with kids and dogs running about.

Not sure I will be able to plan ahead, I think the day will present itself. Soon, though, I am afraid. Was hoping we could take him to Idaho with us in October, but I am steeling myself to his ashes being in the Jemez River, where he used to swim and bark at the trout in that hold at the bend.

Thanks so much for your sentiments. I think I have a better grip, but you all know how that goes.

David
White Rock, NM

Never a simple equation. Hank and me crying on the phone together yesterday, with me sure I would be calling the vet Monday for an appointment. Today, he grabs my arm in his mouth to lead me to the door, to GO somewhere. He helped me pull weeds today, then went with us to the "Tub" (Bathtub Row brewing in Los Alamos, look up the history of that name) and was the consumate gentleman with kids and dogs running about.

Not sure I will be able to plan ahead, I think the day will present itself. Soon, though, I am afraid. Was hoping we could take him to Idaho with us in October, but I am steeling myself to his ashes being in the Jemez River, where he used to swim and bark at the trout in that hold at the bend.

Thanks so much for your sentiments. I think I have a better grip, but you all know how that goes.

David
White Rock, NM
I'm here my friend.

With great love comes great pain. Without risking great pain you can never have true love.

I miss my old lady blue heeler, Daisy, all the damn time. A sign of true love. I cried like a baby putting her down even though she was blind, deaf, and couldn’t stand on her single back leg anymore.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishonfleek
Back