Advertisement

Plate ‘em up

I pretty much followed Hank Shaw’s recipe. 2-1/2# roast brined for 7 days then rinsed in cold water and simmered for 3-1/2 hrs to 190’ internal temp. I added more pickling during the simmer which his recipe didn’t indicate but numerous corned beef recipes do.

I used a packaged pickling spice instead of the individual spices listed in his recipe.

I’ve also done his pastrami recipe, but would cut back on the coriander in the dry rub if I did it again. What I’ll probably do next time is use the corned venison brine recipe, and just do a cracked pepper dry rub and then smoke it. So something between corned and pastrami.
So even before you make your Ruebens, you still rinse and simmer before slicing and searing for sandwiches? It says in Hank shaws recipe not to simmer in too much water so you don’t draw that saltiness out. “It’s an osmosis thing…” he says.. just a thin layer of water in a crock pot til 190 internal?

First time making it and I’m on day 5 in the pickling solution. I used the individual spices in the recipe and it smells fantastic! Just don’t wanna mess it up!

Back