Advertisement

Plate ‘em up

This is part 1 since this cook will take so long, but I figured I'd give context. Our church takes a men's fishing trip to OBX every year, I've been heading it up for a few years now and we've turned the Friday night of the trip into a nice dinner for everyone. Last year we did some double cut NY strips, I cooked them sous vide and then finished them on the grill.

I didn't want to get stuck with always doing steak (not that there's anything wrong there, I just wanted a chance to do some other stuff) so this year I decided to try doing a full length bone-in short rib. Sous vide really is the only way to do a meal like this for this many people without giving up a whole day to cooking, so I'm doing a test run. 160f for 48 hours is what I'm shooting for. I packed some carrots with them, planning on serving over parmesan grits with a red wine sauce. I'll update in a couple days. 20240813_193220.jpg

This is part 1 since this cook will take so long, but I figured I'd give context. Our church takes a men's fishing trip to OBX every year, I've been heading it up for a few years now and we've turned the Friday night of the trip into a nice dinner for everyone. Last year we did some double cut NY strips, I cooked them sous vide and then finished them on the grill.

I didn't want to get stuck with always doing steak (not that there's anything wrong there, I just wanted a chance to do some other stuff) so this year I decided to try doing a full length bone-in short rib. Sous vide really is the only way to do a meal like this for this many people without giving up a whole day to cooking, so I'm doing a test run. 160f for 48 hours is what I'm shooting for. I packed some carrots with them, planning on serving over parmesan grits with a red wine sauce. I'll update in a couple days. View attachment 336373
Well, things didn't go exactly to plan but that's why I wanted to test this. One of the problems with cooking bone-in meat with an immersion circulator is that the bones will release air and cause the bag to puff up. I knew this was a possibility so I checked on the short ribs at the 12 hour mark. Sure enough, the bag had inflated so I pulled them and cut the bag open to re-seal. Unfortunately, my little vac sealer wasn't strong enough to pull a vacuum with the plastic hot and wet, so I just resealed and then immediately chilled them down. I re-started the cook today like a traditional braise. The final result:20240815_181711.jpg
Served over parmesan grits with a red wine and mushroom gravy, garnished with gremolata. It all tasted great. As you can see, it the bone didn't make it to the plate. That actually helps in the long run because sous vide is waaaay easier to make this many portions with, so I'll debone and cook the short rib that way and then finish it in the gravy.

Kenetrek Boots

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishonfleek
Back