Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

More or Less Informed?

I do believe there is hope, political tribalism was at an all time high here in Canada a couple years ago, but the last year has been very hard on the ruling party and they/our Prime Minister has completely lost face and the support of die hard Liberals. I think this is a good thing, not because I despise the man, but because at least one side of the political spectrum is willing to conpromise and change theit voting habits to rid ourselves of this shitshow of a government that has absolutely ruined what was once a great country.

I hope you're right man, but I don't trust anybody east of Manitoba. Trudeau will see the writing on the wall, get desperate and fire off the last bullets in his chamber, which I think will be either UBI or a gov't-sponsored four day workweek, and all the flipped Liberals will go flocking back and let him ruin the country for another ten years. I sincerely hope I'm wrong, but I have no faith in the average left-leaning Canadian in Ontario not to do it lol

Jeez Louise, we can't even get US politics straightened out, now we've added Canadian politics!

Regarding diesel under $2.00/gallon. The only reason diesel got so cheap under Trump was the collapse of demand when covid hit. It's neither his credit nor fault that happened. When the entire developed world goes into lockdown, the demand for gasoline, diesel. etc declines sharply.

I made my living in an oil refinery. They run 24/7/365. Barrels of crude come in barrels of product go out. When the demand for the product vanishes, the crude coming into the refinery starts building up to the refinery's capacity to store it. That is what was happening at every refinery in the world. Since, product isn't selling like normal, the refinery's storage capacity for that also gets maxed out. That makes the refinery really cut back on thru put, which exacerbates what to do with all of the crude.

There was a short period of time were the price of crude dropped below zero. A producer had to pay some one to take it. Clearly, that is not a sustainable oil industry. My employer was losing billions of dollars. There was talk of a dividend cut, some oil companies did have to cut the dividend, iirc. Most of them cut their exploration budget.

A barrel of oil is 42 gallons. The road taxes on diesel in Montana total $0.50/gallon. If the cost of crude was $63/barrel, you could not have any other cost or profit, to have $2.00 diesel. The cost of production for most crude is above that.

Long story short, dream on, the only way we ever have $2.00 diesel is if the world gets as phucked up as we were when covid hit. Now, if there was the opposite upset, and demand remained robust but world events disrupted the crude supply, we'd long for the days of $4.00 diesel. Presently, I'm paying $3.79/gallon.

In many ways 'yes', in many ways 'no'. If a person lets their phone/apps do a little of the sifting, they end up with more garbage (the garbage they want, of course). If the person wants to do a little homework and learn about something themselves, the data is typically there. See any thread on CWD, Social Security, NR permits, hunter pressure, etc. This leads to my general view that people are lazy. they might care enough to espouse an opinion on the internet, but don't care enough to do a Goole search. Too often any discussion ends up in a debate of things that are considered facts. Arguing data is done all the time on HT, but it is better to argue on the impact of potential changes. Debating opinions (ie. impact of any change) is very good. Debating facts is what drives me crazy.
Words to live by.

To answer the o/p question, yes, we are more informed than ever, but are we better off for it?

Jeez Louise, we can't even get US politics straightened out, now we've added Canadian politics!

Regarding diesel under $2.00/gallon. The only reason diesel got so cheap under Trump was the collapse of demand when covid hit. It's neither his credit nor fault that happened. When the entire developed world goes into lockdown, the demand for gasoline, diesel. etc declines sharply.

I made my living in an oil refinery. They run 24/7/365. Barrels of crude come in barrels of product go out. When the demand for the product vanishes, the crude coming into the refinery starts building up to the refinery's capacity to store it. That is what was happening at every refinery in the world. Since, product isn't selling like normal, the refinery's storage capacity for that also gets maxed out. That makes the refinery really cut back on thru put, which exacerbates what to do with all of the crude.

There was a short period of time were the price of crude dropped below zero. A producer had to pay some one to take it. Clearly, that is not a sustainable oil industry. My employer was losing billions of dollars. There was talk of a dividend cut, some oil companies did have to cut the dividend, iirc. Most of them cut their exploration budget.

A barrel of oil is 42 gallons. The road taxes on diesel in Montana total $0.50/gallon. If the cost of crude was $63/barrel, you could not have any other cost or profit, to have $2.00 diesel. The cost of production for most crude is above that.

Long story short, dream on, the only way we ever have $2.00 diesel is if the world gets as phucked up as we were when covid hit. Now, if there was the opposite upset, and demand remained robust but world events disrupted the crude supply, we'd long for the days of $4.00 diesel. Presently, I'm paying $3.79/gallon.
Wasn't just from covid

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240719_074503_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240719_074503_Chrome.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 7
Lots of things go into gas prices that are out of control of presidents. Biden has not slowed down exploration and production at all...natural gas production has gone up under Biden, so has oil production.

What they do for the national debt has more bearing on our future

1721400830071.png

That's largely due to Trumps tax cuts and his welfare to please those hurt by his tariffs, and late covid "Donald J Trump" signed checks to everyone (remember what you did with yours? I don't either). The latter thing could be debated as to whether most presidents would have done the same thing but not the rest.

All these discussions need to dive into details. Simple explanations don't jibe with the facts.

In general the debt has grown more due to major tax cuts than spending over the years, and cutting spending can't make much of a dent in the debt anymore unless you go after social security and medicare, which together make up 53 percent of all spending. Add in the military and homeland security and that's up to nearly 75 percent.

Taxes are the biggest factor and and easiest way to reduce it if you say Social Security, Medicare/Aid and the military are off the table. You could eliminate whole federal programs and not make much of a dent. Did you know the wealthy paid far more in taxes when Reagan left office than they do today?

Debt over time is interesting to look at too...went up dramatically with the new Deal in the 30's then was relatively flat until Reagan came along. Been going up under most Red presidents ever since, down under dems, excepting Obama.

Details. Facts--all out there from unbiased sources. Wouldn't have had easy access to them as recently as several decades ago. Today the issue is there is so much intentional twisting of reality out there people that don't go look have all kinds of incorrect assumptions.

In any case, nothing as simple as what any parties candidate says!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jachanzar91
Back