Kenetrek Boots

Montana Mule Deer Mismanagement

With the talk of throwing out additional proposals, I’ve thrown this out already, but figure I’ll try it again, see below. It basically combines ND and CO, two awesome deer states. Has some LE and opportunity, keeps the muley/WT split and doesn’t add any stress to landowners. I’d also say it reduces opportunity while the other proposal increases opportunity and puts more hunters at the same trailheads at the same time.

9/1-10/10: archery season. This gets you the buy-in from the bowhunters. They lose a week from the current season, but nobody really cares about that last week anyway so you keep them happy by giving them the first 10 days of October.

10/11-10/23ish: dead period on public land and OTC cow/doe tags on private. This attempts to redistribute the animals back onto public for the upcoming rifle opener. Hopefully this will allow some folks to fill their tags and freezers and keep them off the public later in the season.

10/24ish-11/8-10ish: general rifle season. Yes, the season bleeds into November, but it's a compromise to the rifle hunters and keeps the circus out of the heart of the rut. Hopefully the animals have settled down on public compared to a 31 day deer rifle season pushing them onto private. To make it even better for the resource, deer is a pick your species/pick your weapon model. If you choose mule deer, this is your season, it ends on Nov 10th or so. That is unless you draw one of the 50-100 LE permits that goes till Thanksgiving. This allows you to get a rut hunt every 5-10 years or so and is similar to what CO does, which most folks agree is the best MD state in the west. If you pick whitetails, you can rifle hunt till Thanksgiving. If you pick archery, you hunt either species till Thanksgiving. That has to have some attraction or else nobody will pick it. The deer seasons coincide with elk season to keep even more pressure off the deer. For a rifle hunter, you have a fraction of the pressure on MD with the opportunity to luck out and hunt the rut. For a bow hunter, you get to keep hunting in November, but you just made the draw odds a lot better for the rifle guys.
Go ask the mbha how much they care about that last week of archery

Go ask the mbha how much they care about that last week of archery
Wel it’s better than wiping out all of October. This would also guarantee them an archery rut hunt every year, like ND does. Would even let them bow hunt MD and/or WT during that time.

Last edited:
Wel it’s better than wiping out all of October. This would also guarantee them an archery rut hunt every year, like ND does. Would even let them bow hunt MD and/or WT during that time.
Don’t compare Nd to Montana . Apples to asparagus

Don’t compare Nd to Montana . Apples to asparagus
ND has LE rifle and OTC archery into January with about 10% of the public land MT does. If we’re gonna say that, then MT is also apples to asparagus with WY, ID, CO, you name it.

Western ND and Eastern MT are just about identical landscapes, so I don’t know why you wouldn’t compare the two?

ND has LE rifle and OTC archery into January with about 10% of the public land MT does. If we’re gonna say that, then MT is also apples to asparagus with WY, ID, CO, you name it.

Western ND and Eastern MT are just about identical landscapes, so I don’t know why you wouldn’t compare the two?
ND sucks for deer. Shut up.

This shows the percentage of overall statewide harvest of each species by region from 2004-2023.

View attachment 329743
Looks like the split is roughly 56% mule deer and 44% whitetail. No where close to the small % some are predicting. Take out elk hunting an you are likely seeing less than half the hunters in Oct that you do currently in Nov.

Last edited:
That is the biggest issue with your proposal Antler radar. A #*^@#* ton of elk on private. Most not allowing public access what so ever. Pay to play. Your supporting that. So outfitted shit makes $$$. And gets tax payer money by too many elk on private that does not allow hunting. So fwp pays for it. Fwp funded by tax payers that don't shoot cow elk for $500 a pop.

Name the ranches that allowing Cow hunts in your proposal.

U never answered where all the elk go with all those deer hunters in your unit .

Nether did greenhorn.

U all say. Le or le unlimited not possible. Why. That is what is best. For mule deer. Management.

It's obvious it is corupt by $$$$. For landowners and outfitters.

Answer real questions get u real answers.

Follow the $$$.

I do want a real answer hedgehog why it not possible LE.

Fwp says no. They bought. Paid for. Who. They should answer for the public land hunter.

Talk outfitters let's talk

Fwp let's talk

Blm let's talk

Private let's talk

#*^@#* this shit. It's corupt

We all know LE is best way. Unlimited or limited. Some of u have admitted it. Even a moga guy did. Alot of different agendas on here. Different representation.

I am a nobody but that is $*)Q!#@$ bullshit. Hold people accountable. Landowners outfitters hunters. We all responsibility for wildlife.

But $$$$ speaking. #*^@#* that

I sorry but. I know how I grew up. What I seen and how it should be in my eyes.

Mt mule deer foundations a joke nothing goes to mt. Or very little.

I want to know why it cannot be LE limited or unlimited. That is management. Who do I ask.

I sorry but. I know how I grew up. What I seen and how it should be in my eyes.

Mt mule deer foundations a joke nothing goes to mt. Or very little.

I want to know why it cannot be LE limited or unlimited. That is management. Who do I ask.
You do see the issues with this right? We put up some fwp numbers that show more whitetail are taken that people believe showing how the split would help lift pressure off the mule deer. You said yourself the deer are gone where you hunt so how many people do you expect to be hunting those areas in October for deer? It results in you throwing a big fit about it because it’s not the way you want the season structured. This wasn’t the way I wanted it either but it was the best compromise we came up with. Ow and fyi I’m pretty sure a cow hunt runs about 2k now it’s now 500 bucks

U realize cwd in whitetail might have spiked that. Madison county. My knowledge. But probably anywhere there is large private deer herds cwd. So last few yrs. They killing them, no mercy.

After 115 pages of bs. Anything that comes of this. Is fwp doesn't have a f clue what they are doing.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vpihlman
Back