Caribou Gear

Montana Mule Deer Mismanagement

Mr. bigsky2,

The whole thing. The gentlemen who wrote it are smart and know how to directly address herd health, but they don't. It's not well written, it's not supported by data, it's jumpy and unclear and identifies no herd health goal. The only goal and real goal I can identify is reduced pressure on wildlife at the cost to residents. Why?
If creating trophy districts was the goal, the proposal would have been much more drastic than a shift of season dates and a one week reduction to the season length.

Seriously questioning the highlighted item below..

Please explain.

Gerald - I'm interested in solving the perceived problem and that takes good data. In my opinion your proposal did not have a strong stated goal…
…..

It is presumptuous of you to accuse me of "just expressing opposition to anything that requires sacrifice from all users groups" but I do have my priorities.

If creating trophy districts was the goal, the proposal would have been much more drastic than a shift of season dates and a one week reduction to the season length.
I somewhat agree with you , however if they really wanted to improve herd numbers they would cut opportunities. Like go LE . Deer are gonna get hammered in October too . We can go round and round on that . This proposal does little to cut opportunities.

Anyone that believes the current season structure is working for much of anything, herd health, age class, hunter satisfaction, hunt quality, etc. has one of the following:

1. Been living in Montana a short time.
2. Likes mule deer fork horn neck roasts.
3. Is living in denial.
4. Has chit for brains.

Mr. The Hedgehog

It is difficult to take you seriously given your anonymity and previous comments.

Perceived problems = Interpreted problems

My priorities = MT resident hunters
You'd be wise to listen to the Hedgehog...forgotten more about mule deer in Montana than most folks will ever know.

Anyone that believes the current season structure is working for much of anything, herd health, age class, hunter satisfaction, hunt quality, etc. has one of the following:

1. Been living in Montana a short time.
2. Likes mule deer fork horn neck roasts.
3. Is living in denial.
4. Has chit for brains.
Do forkies actually have neck roasts? Maybe neck strips?

Limited entry unlimited will give u actuall hunting pressure. Amount of hunters hunting that unit.With other ideas that other hunt talkers have. Such as mandatory harvest qouta in effect. Days in the field ect. U get your charts and graphs.

My opinion unlimited becomes limited with actual herd numbers. But that's management.
You have a solid idea. Get another proposal out there. I support both something has to happen and I don’t don’t trust local staff to get it done.

You have a solid idea. Get another proposal out there. I support both something has to happen and I don’t don’t trust local staff to get it done.
They can’t and we should be looking at this as a way to help them

They can’t and we should be looking at this as a way to help them
They could be screaming from the highest mountain that they are seeing the same things that I am. They are telling me I’m full of shit.

Mr. The Hedgehog

It is difficult to take you seriously given your anonymity and previous comments.

Sir John B. Sullivan III, et al.

Do you not think the mule deer in Montana are facing real problems? Or are they “perceived” problems?

As a life long 4th generation MT resident with 44 years MT deer hunting experience all over the state, I’m only curious how your “priorities” align with mine, those of my kids, and the many other resident hunters I know who KNOW Montana deserves a whole lot better.

Feel free to share your priorities, opinions and suggested solutions..

It’s far from rocket science.

Last edited:
Mr. The Hedgehog

Your priorities=opportunity at all cost.
Hasn’t worked so far.
Should we continue?

Sir John B. Sullivan III, et al.

Do you not think the mule deer in Montana are facing real problems? Or are they “perceived” problems?

As a life long 4th generation MT resident with 44 years MT deer hunting experience all over the state, I’m only curious how your “priorities” align with mine, those of my kids, and the many other resident hunters I know who KNOW Montana deserves a whole lot better.

Feel free to share your priorities, opinions and suggested solutions..

It’s far from rocket science.
It's nice to know a little bit more about you. I've been clear that I'm interested solving the perceived problems, open about my position and initial solutions. I agree they are not rocket science. I also know LE will make it much harder for your kids to get the opportunity to hunt.

It's nice to know a little bit more about you. I've been clear that I'm interested solving the perceived problems, open about my position and initial solutions. I agree they are not rocket science. I also know LE will make it much harder for your kids to get the opportunity to hunt.
Funny you still insist on calling it a “perceived” problem. What you “know” is not so accurate. If my kids want to “hunt” they absolutely will hunt and have plenty of opportunity. It doesn’t mean they need to hunt mule deer in November every year or for a few months essentially state wide. What a crock. We’re hunting this weekend. Plenty of “opportunity” for kids to hunt, but for any level of quality for mule deer - Not So Much for kids, adults, or especially anybody hunting on public land.

My kids have hunted mule deer in Montana.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vermonthoosier547
Back