Montana General Season Structure Proposal

Or we can get rid of the combo for NR altogether
“we’re fixing our mule deer problem but you can come out in your same numbers and kill all our whitetail up”….

🧐 🤔

I don’t like that part 😔

I don’t see how the dept wouldn’t make MORE money selling tags separately. Make them choose what they really want to come to Montana for…?

Everybody knows you get more money with “parts sold separately” just ask Mystery Ranch…. What backpack doesn’t come with a water bottle pouch….? People should have to choose what they want in a hunt here
We talked about splitting up the comb for this very reason when I was on the licensing and funding CAC for this very reason. When it was pointed out that doing so could potentially double the number of NR in the field, the idea died quickly.

We talked about splitting up the comb for this very reason when I was on the licensing and funding CAC for this very reason. When it was pointed out that doing so could potentially double the number of NR in the field, the idea died quickly.

Lots of folks forget that the 17,000 combo licenses actually equate to 34,000 tags. If it was separated that could mean an additional 17,000 NR hunters in the field at the same time.

Lots of folks forget that the 17,000 combo licenses actually equate to 34,000 tags. If it was separated that could mean an additional 17,000 NR hunters in the field at the same time.
Through out all this I have noticed it sure is easy for people to point out any negative and avoid wanting to talk about the positive. Those numbers are a pretty decent reason to keep a combo system

Looking at it this way just shows that FWP has no idea where those hunters are or what they are doing and begs for it to be split and tracked. For example, every one of the combo's comes with an upland bird license but it is unrealistic to assume they are all in the field hunting grouse or pheasants. In addition, MT sells about 2 deer combos for every elk combo so the assumption that a split of big game would be 1:1 might be unrealistic (although mathematically possible).

In the current structure, it is impossible to know what incidental take of MD by elk hunters is, so the online harvest reporting is probably the most critical element to this whole thing. I will hold that it seems the Big Game combo is the sharing with NRs the traditional Montana value of being able to blast anything that walks past...for a discount even.

Kenetrek Boots

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rog
Back