Kenetrek Boots

Montana General Season Structure Proposal

If you took all the mule deer in regions, one, two, and three, they would not amount to the number of mule deer that exist in region seven alone.

Not really disagreeing with you, but Western Montana is not a bastion for mule deer. In fact, in most of it they are pretty sparse. Makes a solution all the more difficult.
Montana has more than 20 million acres less public land than Idaho. And sells 10k more either sex non resident deer tags.

Theres no lack of demand. Charge more and sell less tags, NR and R. Or - make more of these tags private land only.

As much fun as it is having the option to shoot whitetail or muley on a general tag, I think either species tags have to go away for most of the state.

Working in Region 7 for a handful of years in the hunting months I think having nonresidents pick a weapon and choose a specific 7 day period to hunt. In addition to picking a region. Same should apply to upland bird, turkey, and pronghorn seasons. The FWP would still generate the same revenue, local businesses could better serve out of state hunters with accommodations, and hunting pressure would be reduced from a nonresident perspective. Especially on the BMA parcels. It could be regional caps with individual weekly caps. The FWP could charge another $2 per application.
Roughly 50-70% of the hunters I see from Sidney to Broadus to Belle Fourche are nonresident hunters.
The deer numbers are worse n western Montana and hunting mountain mule deer or even whitetail in the thick timber probably isn't what most out of state hunters want. Especially with the high predator numbers in Region 1, 2, and the western part of 4.
Again I love the proposal that Ben Lambs group developed and would really helpful for hunting and big game numbers, it's just the social aspect that people have a hard time with.

Working in Region 7 for a handful of years in the hunting months I think having nonresidents pick a weapon and choose a specific 7 day period to hunt. In addition to picking a region. Same should apply to upland bird, turkey, and pronghorn seasons. The FWP would still generate the same revenue, local businesses could better serve out of state hunters with accommodations, and hunting pressure would be reduced from a nonresident perspective. Especially on the BMA parcels. It could be regional caps with individual weekly caps. The FWP could charge another $2 per application.
Roughly 50-70% of the hunters I see from Sidney to Broadus to Belle Fourche are nonresident hunters.
The deer numbers are worse n western Montana and hunting mountain mule deer or even whitetail in the thick timber probably isn't what most out of state hunters want. Especially with the high predator numbers in Region 1, 2, and the western part of 4.
Again I love the proposal that Ben Lambs group developed and would really helpful for hunting and big game numbers, it's just the social aspect that people have a hard time with.
One thing that help the "social" aspect - is a cut in NR opportunity.

Theres an outsized problem you can see looking at harvest stats, hunter days, tags sold, comparing to other states (especially eastern ones where the ones likely to whine reside) or really any honest metric.

Less NR, higher NR and R fees.

Spot on the predator aspect. Especially R2. mtmuley

So what is the point? And I bet most of the hunters pounding the Eastern part of the state have no interest in hunting the Western side. Whole different ballgame out here. mtmuley
The point is it’s time for western Montana to bear some of the burden of the 27k plus nonresident deer hunters and who knows how many residents. I don’t care if they can’t shoot a forky off the road. Give them their opportunity.

The point is it’s time for western Montana to bear some of the burden of the 27k plus nonresident deer hunters and who knows how many residents. I don’t care if they can’t shoot a forky off the road. Give them their opportunity.
Gerald must have took his hold off your account. Good to see you back

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
action
Back