Yeti GOBOX Collection

Imagine my surprise

peterk1234

I'm about to sit down to set up on a some gophers when I catch this out of the corner of my eye.

20240610_164834.jpg

Since I'm clearing gophers for a rancher and his cattle, I figured he would not want a rattler amongst his cows, so I dispatched the critter. Just shy of four feet.

20240610_195416.jpg

I’ve always got a firearm in the truck with some snake shot so when I’m out in a pasture and run across a rattler I have target practice but what’s your method of catching gophers? We’ve been over run with them this year. Been setting traps but not doing much good.

I’ve always got a firearm in the truck with some snake shot so when I’m out in a pasture and run across a rattler I have target practice but what’s your method of catching gophers? We’ve been over run with them this year. Been setting traps but not doing much good.
Never saw a gopher here til last year. Maybe they got run out of the bottoms by the prairie dogs.
Gotta pick up some traps.
Good thing I caged my tree planting holes.

22 bolt action suppressed. I'm over the 400 mark at this point. All were taken out of one field. Just incredible how many there are.

22 bolt action suppressed. I'm over the 400 mark at this point. All were taken out of one field. Just incredible how many there are.
In southern AZ if a rattler finds his way into my enclosed courtyard or walled pool area I stabilize it with a long bull frog spear, then slice it's head off with a sharp shovel. If I find one anywhere else on the property my .410 works fine.

I never see those critters.
Never saw a gopher here til last year. Maybe they got run out of the bottoms by the prairie dogs.
Gotta pick up some traps.
Good thing I caged my tree planting holes.
This year they are really digging up a couple pastures here!

I never see those critters.

This year they are really digging up a couple pastures here!
It takes a bit for your eyes and brain to register what to look for. Then they start to stick out like a sore thumb. I also use binos. You can really pick them off, especially when they get past 75 yards. Great training for using a bolt action and binos.

I think there might be some confusion as to what some people refer to as a "gopher".
I belive what he is shooting are Beldling's ground squirrels. Some people also call them sage rats.

I assume you are actually dealing with what is more commonly referred to as a pocket gopher, which is primarily nocturnal and yes, you never see them.
Trapping would be infinitely more effective at controlling their population then trying to wait and shoot them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
manbugle
Back