HT recipe thread.

Since it’s hot as hell out right now, I’ll also drop a favorite summer dessert - pig pickin cake. This was a popular summer dessert when I lived in the south, but seems to be a novelty out west. But everyone seems to love it. I’m not much of a sweet tooth, so I love that this cake uses whipped cream instead of some super sugary mix for the icing. The pineapple and mandarin oranges make for a very refreshing and light dessert.

Ingredients:
Cake
  • 1 box yellow cake mix (15 oz)
  • 1 can of mandarin oranges (11oz)
  • 4 eggs
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
Icing
  • 16oz tub of cool whip topping, thawed
  • 15 oz can of crushed pineapple
  • I packet (3.5oz) of instant vanilla pudding

Directions:
Make the Cake:
  • Preheat oven to 350
  • Lightly beat eggs separately, then add eggs, oil and mandarin oranges (with juice) to cake mix in a large bowl and mix until well blended
  • Grease 3 8” cake pans and divide cake batter evenly between them for a 3 layer cake.
  • Bake @350 for 25-30 mins until toothpick comes out clean.
  • Remove from pans and let cool on cooling rack.

While the cake is baking, make the icing:
  • In a medium sized bowl, slowly add crushed pineapple and pudding mix to the whipped cream and fold in to incorporate. Do not overmix.

When cake is completely cooled, place first layer on a cake plate and cover with the icing. If cake layers are mounded from baking, you may want to trim the top a bit on the first two layers too make them flat.
Repeat for second and third layers, reserving enough icing to cover the sides.
Top with additional mandarin oranges if desired.

IMG_0182.jpeg

Since it’s hot as hell out right now, I’ll also drop a favorite summer dessert - pig pickin cake. This was a popular summer dessert when I lived in the south, but seems to be a novelty out west. But everyone seems to love it. I’m not much of a sweet tooth, so I love that this cake uses whipped cream instead of some super sugary mix for the icing. The pineapple and mandarin oranges make for a very refreshing and light dessert.

Ingredients:
Cake
  • 1 box yellow cake mix (15 oz)
  • 1 can of mandarin oranges (11oz)
  • 4 eggs
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
Icing
  • 16oz tub of cool whip topping, thawed
  • 15 oz can of crushed pineapple
  • I packet (3.5oz) of instant vanilla pudding

Directions:
Make the Cake:
  • Preheat oven to 350
  • Lightly beat eggs separately, then add eggs, oil and mandarin oranges (with juice) to cake mix in a large bowl and mix until well blended
  • Grease 3 8” cake pans and divide cake batter evenly between them for a 3 layer cake.
  • Bake @350 for 25-30 mins until toothpick comes out clean.
  • Remove from pans and let cool on cooling rack.

While the cake is baking, make the icing:
  • In a medium sized bowl, slowly add crushed pineapple and pudding mix to the whipped cream and fold in to incorporate. Do not overmix.

When cake is completely cooled, place first layer on a cake plate and cover with the icing. If cake layers are mounded from baking, you may want to trim the top a bit on the first two layers too make them flat.
Repeat for second and third layers, reserving enough icing to cover the sides.
Top with additional mandarin oranges if desired.

View attachment 332714
Oh boy. mtmuley

how about a version where can see the prep instructions?
Mix all the Ingredients together throw it in an ice cream pail and let it sit a couple days. Then make jerky however you like. I smoke mine 150-180 for about 3 hours or so

What do you do when it's 103 outside and the AC is running overtime? You light the oven and fryer to make pizza and wings o_O

$.79 leftover day old french bread cut into 1/4
$ 1.98 great value shredded cheese
$ 2.25 jar of great value pizza sauce
$3.50 bag of hormel pepperoni
$11 family pack of wings, cut up and portioned into 4 bags
$2.50 bottle frank's redhot wing sauce
$1.50 bottle of great value blue cheese dressing

Put the pizza together, throw the wings in the fryer. About 15 minutes total. Put it all out on walmart's finest china and you have pizza and wings take out for like $4 per serving and like 4 servings total.

1720913417657.png

Last edited:
What do you do when it's 103 outside and the AC is running overtime? You light the oven and fryer to make pizza and wings o_O

$.79 leftover day old french bread cut into 1/4
$ 1.98 great value shredded cheese
$ 2.25 jar of great value pizza sauce
$3.50 bag of hormel pepperoni
$11 family pack of wings, cut up and portioned into 4 bags
$2.50 bottle frank's redhot wing sauce
$1.50 bottle of great value blue cheese dressing

Put the pizza together, throw the wings in the fryer. About 15 minutes total. Put it all out on walmart's finest china and you have pizza and wings take out for like $4 per serving and like 4 servings total.

View attachment 332721
a true bachelor’s meal

Recipe please 🤤
Thought I had a pic of one, but can’t seem to find it. I’ve been on more of a Neapolitan style kick lately, so haven’t done deep dish for awhile. When I’ve done them in the past, I do it chicago style where it’s crust, then cheese (lots of it), then toppings, then sauce. For this style, I like some cornmeal in the crust to add some depth of flavor and texture. You could always use store bought dough (usually found in the deli section) though and it would still be fine.

Here’s a recipe from the web that seems pretty close to what I’ve done in the past. You can change up the meats or add veggies to your liking.

EDIT: There’s mixed opinions on whether to preheat the cast iron. My experience is that it does result in a crust that is crispier on the exterior, but it’s tricky building a pizza in a scorching hot cast iron. So I usually compromise and heat it up a bit on the stove, but don’t get it all the way up to 425.

Ingredients​

For the dough:​

• 3/4 cup lukewarm water
  • 1 Tbsp active dry yeast
  • 1/4 cup cornmeal
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 1 Tbsp. honey, or white sugar

For the pizza:​

• 10 oz Mozzarella cheese , cut in 1/2-inch thick slices
  • 4 8-inch Hot or Mild Italian sausage links, casing removed, crumbled and cooked, or about 1 lb. loose sausage meat
  • Pepperoni slices
  • 1/2 cup Freshly grated Parmesan cheese, for topping
  • 2 cups pizza sauce, store bought or see Note 1 below for an easy homemade pizza sauce recipe

Instructions​

• Combine the yeast and lukewarm water and let sit for 5 minutes.
  • In a large bowl or the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with a kneading hook, combine 1 cup of the flour and the cornmeal. Add the yeast mixture, olive oil and honey. Stir until moistened. Add more flour in small increments, until you achieve a soft dough that is neither too sticky or too stiff. Remove the dough to a well-oiled large bowl and let rise at room temperature for 1 hour.
  • While dough is rising, cook your sausage. If your sausage is links in casing, cut a slit down the casing and remove the sausage from the casing. Discard casing. Cook sausage in a skillet, breaking up into small pieces with a spoon, until cooked and browned. Turn off heat under skillet and set aside until needed.
  • Preheat oven to 425° F. Liberally grease the bottom and sides of cast-iron frying pan with olive oil and lightly dust with additional cornmeal.
  • When dough is ready, scrape onto a well-floured surface (dough will seem sticky at this point, but will be fine with the additional flour on the counter. With a rolling pin, roll dough into a circle a little bigger than the bottom of your skillet. If it's sticky, dust with more flour as needed. Transfer the dough to prepared cast-iron frying pan and press into bottom and up the sides about 2/3 of the way up. Cover the bottom of pizza completely with a generous layer of mozzarella cheese. Top with cooked sausage and pepperoni. Top with all of the pizza sauce, spreading it to cover the sausage. Sprinkle the top generously with freshly grated Parmesan cheese. *You don't want your crust to extend too much higher than your filling, or the exposed part at the top will overcook. If it extends too high once your filling is in, push or crimp it down to closer to the level of your filling.
  • Bake in pre-heated 425° F. oven for about 20 minutes. Check at 20 minutes and if crust is dark enough (it usually is at this point), cover loosely with a sheet of tinfoil and cook about at least 10 minutes longer or better yet, 13-15 minutes more (33-35 minutes total), to be sure the crust is cooked. Remove from oven and allow to cool in the pan for 5-7 minutes. Using a spatula, carefully remove pizza to a cutting board. Allow to stand a couple more minutes before cutting with a sharp knife.

Last edited:
Smoked chicken thighs

Baste w olive oil

Rub heavily 3hr before putting on smoker

Rub recipe:
4t paprika
2t black pepper
3t sea salt
1.5t crushed red pepper
1t oregano
1t thyme
1t garlic powder
1t onion powder
1/2t cayenne
1/4c brown sugar

Crispier skin:
200 for 1hr skin down
Flip and cook at 250 for .5hr
Turn up to 400 to finish until 165 deg

Alternate for more smoky flavor (I don’t like the skin anyway):
200 for 1hr skin down
200 flip 1hr skin up
200 flip finish with skin down until 165

Tri-tip on the smoker.

Tri-tip with fat on it.
Coat with Kinders AP rub, then cover it with Hatch red(med). Lots of chile powder. 2 or 3 TBSP.

Put on the smoker for an hour with temp probe in.
Then crank it and sear quick...nice and black on the fatty side. To 135.
Remove and cover with foil. I have a pyrex baking pan. Let sit, a while.

Slice thin and dump in the juices that will fill the bottom.
Plate with salsa fresca. Salad , bread or torts.

NM version of Santa Maria BBQ. Really good with pintos.

Tri-tip on the smoker.

Tri-tip with fat on it.
Coat with Kinders AP rub, then cover it with Hatch red(med). Lots of chile powder. 2 or 3 TBSP.

Put on the smoker for an hour with temp probe in.
Then crank it and sear quick...nice and black on the fatty side. To 135.
Remove and cover with foil. I have a pyrex baking pan. Let sit, a while.

Slice thin and dump in the juices that will fill the bottom.
Plate with salsa fresca. Salad , bread or torts.

NM version of Santa Maria BBQ. Really good with pintos.
'Wish there was a salivating imoji!

Some good ones so far and then there are the others that are head scratchers in a recipe thread...

Could we maybe agree to not post “recipes” that are nothing but an assemblage of nasty, processed canned, boxed and jarred “food products”. Yes that is a rhetorical question as I know those who mix up an assemblage of processed foods and call it a great dish are just gonna do what they do. :-

If the main ingredients is Cool Whip, canned or powdered soup, premix cake, etc you may not be cooking and sure are not eating real food. No big deal as the average person makes below average food, but as hunters we have the best possible fresh and pure starting ingredients at hand to work with.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clinebj22
Back