Caribou Gear

HT recipe thread.

My cajun catfish from the other night....

1 cup of rice to two cups of water. Mixed in half a small bag of walmart mixed veggies. Covered it in a heathy dose of Tony Chachere's and chunks of butter. Stirred it up and layed catfish chunks on top to cover the rice mixture. Added more Tony's and a lot of chalula hot sauce. Covered tight and baked for an hour and 15 minutes at 350. Pulled it out and let sit for abut 15 minutes before plating some and adding more butter over it and hot sauce.

@JohnCushman Great idea for this one!!

Homemade Wild Game Hamburger Helper
2 lb lean ground deer or elk or oryx
2 med onion chopped
Small can tomato sauce
2 tbs garlic powder
2 tbs chili powder
1 bag uncooked pasta
4 cups beef broth
Salt & pepper to taste
Cheese to top

Add beef and onions to a soup pot. Cook over med hi heat until beef browned. (abt 7-10 min) breaking up big chunks)
Stir in spices and stir, then tomato sauce. Add in beef broth and increase heat to high. Once it boils add in macaroni and reduce heat to a simmer, uncovered.
Rapid simmer is good. Stir every couple minutes.
Add cheese before eating.

CROCK POT ORYX STEAK BITES

Ingredients

- 3lb Oryx steak(cut into small pieces)
- 1/2 onion diced
- 2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1cup beef broth

Instructions

- Place all the ingredients in the crock pot.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4, stirring occasionally.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!

Pulled neck sandos (serves 2)

- 1/2 pound of neck meat. Add more if you’d like
- 1/3 stick of butter.
- 1 tbs salt
- 1 tbs paprika
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tbs garlic powder
- 1 tbs onion powder
- 1 tbs red chili powder (optional if you’re from the Midwest and can’t handle spice)
- beef broth/water mix to cover the meat.
- 2 buns, I recommend larger ones.
- 1 slice of cheese, I like mild cheddar
- pickles, as many or as little as you like
- BBQ sauce of your choice. I like the spicy Famous Dave’s or I make some from scratch

1. Add the meat, butter, seasonings and water broth mix to a crock pot and set it to low for 8 hours.
2. When done, taste test to ensure tenderness. Toast the buns.
3. Assemble till your heart is content. I recommend serving with either fries, Mac and cheese or mashed potatoes.

Thanks for the bread crumb trail of recipe posts @JohnCushman. Great idea! I think this post might take over the over two (smoker and plate)over time!

I’m terrible at remembering my recipes but I often wing it on meals. But, per a @mtmuley request:

My egg bake on the smoker:

Well bacon greased cast iron pan. Good layer of frozen hash browns.
Browned some favorite breakfast sausage and broke up into small pieces. In the pan I browned the sausage I added a whole minced onion and cooked until it was starting to brown on the edges of the onion pieces. Added that over the hasbrowns and sausage in pan. Shredded some Colby Jack cheese and topped the current stack with a good portion. Scrambled 8 eggs in a bowl and poured it over the top of all this and added more cheese to it. Cooked in the pellet grill on 250° or 300° until it was all bubbly then cranked it to 400° to finish until the edges turned crispy and the cheese was nearly burnt. Overall it probably cooked for a total of 45-50 minutes totally uncovered. I did this in a 10”, across the bottom, pan and ate a reheated slice every morning for breakfast. It was an instant favorite in our house!

A few things I would have done differently. I think I would have tried cooking the hash browns first to get them a bit crispy. In between every layer I should have added a small layer of shredded cheese and a pinch of salt and pepper. I think I would also cook it about the same time/temps but wait and add the top layer of cheese until I turned the heat up. I also think I’d told some more veggies than just an onion. Mushrooms would have been good and I could even see peppers or broccoli being great!

Attachments

• IMG_1301.jpeg
    IMG_1301.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 9
  • 74207432098__4A2774A5-A210-4F6F-9183-0568666C1B8C.jpeg
    74207432098__4A2774A5-A210-4F6F-9183-0568666C1B8C.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 9
Thanks for the bread crumb trail of recipe posts @JohnCushman. Great idea! I think this post might take over the over two (smoker and plate)over time!

I’m terrible at remembering my recipes but I often wing it on meals. But, per a @mtmuley request:

My egg bake on the smoker:

Well bacon greased cast iron pan. Good layer of frozen hash browns.
Browned some favorite breakfast sausage and broke up into small pieces. In the pan I browned the sausage I added a whole minced onion and cooked until it was starting to brown on the edges of the onion pieces. Added that over the hasbrowns and sausage in pan. Shredded some Colby Jack cheese and topped the current stack with a good portion. Scrambled 8 eggs in a bowl and poured it over the top of all this and added more cheese to it. Cooked in the pellet grill on 250° or 300° until it was all bubbly then cranked it to 400° to finish until the edges turned crispy and the cheese was nearly burnt. Overall it probably cooked for a total of 45-50 minutes totally uncovered. I did this in a 10”, across the bottom, pan and ate a reheated slice every morning for breakfast. It was an instant favorite in our house!

A few things I would have done differently. I think I would have tried cooking the hash browns first to get them a bit crispy. In between every layer I should have added a small layer of shredded cheese and a pinch of salt and pepper. I think I would also cook it about the same time/temps but wait and add the top layer of cheese until I turned the heat up. I also think I’d told some more veggies than just an onion. Mushrooms would have been good and I could even see peppers or broccoli being great!
Gonna try this. But not in a cast iron pan. I need to get more cast iron. mtmuley

Deep dish pizza in a cast iron is killer!
Last weekend we visited a friend's cabin up near Showdown. No cell service. Imagine four teenage boys spending hours making a fort, throwing hatchets and knives at wood blocks, and then...making pizza dough from scratch, and cooking in a Dutch oven over a fire. It was insanely good. Four different pizza options over the course of an afternoon.

I’ll go ahead a drop my smokey hot wings recipe here. I’ve tried every manner known to man for cooking wings, and I prefer the air fryer over all of them. To me you get the crispiest wings with the least effort and mess. It’s hard to do large quantities this way, but works well for a single serving portion.

I buy fresh wings from the meat dept, not pre-frozen. I then separate the drum and wing section and put 10-15 each in quart sized ziplock freezer bags and freeze. When I’m in a mood for wings, I’ll take a pack out of the freezer, add about 1/3c of liquid smoke to them and then thaw them either on the counter or in the fridge depending on when I want to eat them. The smoke will absorb into the meat as they thaw.

When I’m ready to cook them, I take them out of the ziplock, dry them really good with paper towels and then salt and pepper both sides. I then put them in a large bowl, add 1-2T of flour and then toss them to coat. I usually do the tossing outside so the extra flour blows away. Having dry wings is the key to not getting too much breading on them. After that, put them in the air fryer on the “Wings” setting - for mine that’s 24 mins at 400’. When they are done, put them in a large bowl and drizzle with about 1T of honey then toss to coat. Then add 1-2T of Frank’s Redhot Wing Sauce and toss again. Garnish with some chopped parsley and eat. Super crispy, nice smoke flavor in the background and a good hot/sweet balance from the sauce.

IMG_1220.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clinebj22
Back