Yeti GOBOX Collection

Gun cases are cool and so is gun etiquette!

Doublecluck

I’ll preface this by saying I’m not new to seeing stupid people with guns. I’m at the range at least once a week, thousands of days in duck blinds with people of all experience levels, long range shooting matches, indoor ranges, etc. Seen my share of folks with terrible gun etiquette, flagging people, couple accidental discharges. People who don’t know the basic operation of their firearms. It’s not something that’s uncommon. People are just ignorant to firearms safety or in general. That said this takes the cake.

Wife and I are at a local sporting goods store with our two youngest daughters picking up a horseshoe set for activities for their birthday party tomorrow. We pay and head to the truck. I open the back door for the littles, they jump in. I close it and sit down in the drivers seat. I Start the truck, wife’s reaching in the back helping the younger get her seat belt on. I put my hand on the gear shifter and my focus shifts to the little stretch of road between our parking spot and the exit. And there he was. My brain immediately went in to overdrive processing exactly what I was seeing. My wife as she’s turning around sees me laser focused on something, looks and immediately goes omg! Should I call 911? I pause for a moment, my brain is rapidly switching between yes and no as the reply, still processing, I blurt out dial it but wait!.

The guy!
The easiest way to describe this guy would be every meme of a guy in his grandmas basement combined. Short, slightly heavy set, bald middle aged, blank emotionless face. This guy was Pyle on full metal jacket! He is waking across the parking lot between us and the exit, he’s got a AR style rifle , magazine in, it’s not pointed up or down but he’s got it cradled stock under his arm pit, muzzle toward the store and vehicles in front of him, he’s fumbling with the charging handle with his left hand as he’s walking toward the door.

At this point a lots going thru my head, he’s almost to the door, he’s approximately 30 yards in front of our truck. It’s crazy where my brain had gone and what I was thinking. My left eye caught a guy and his wife who were presumably walking in to the store but had stopped, staring at this guy also from across the parking lot. My left hand went to the door handle, my right was a 9mm. I told my wife if I get out just drive in reverse over the curb and get out of here. Waiting for what was about to happen, I took a deep breath. As he reached the door he stopped. Pulled the magazine out, put it in his pocket and pressed the detent pin to break the gun down. My sigh of relief could probably be heard across the parking lot with my windows up. Jesus Christ man ! Buy a gun case or learn how to hold a gun! Take the mag out FFS.

I’ll preface this by saying I’m not new to seeing stupid people with guns. I’m at the range at least once a week, thousands of days in duck blinds with people of all experience levels, long range shooting matches, indoor ranges, etc. Seen my share of folks with terrible gun etiquette, flagging people, couple accidental discharges. People who don’t know the basic operation of their firearms. It’s not something that’s uncommon. People are just ignorant to firearms safety or in general. That said this takes the cake.

Wife and I are at a local sporting goods store with our two youngest daughters picking up a horseshoe set for activities for their birthday party tomorrow. We pay and head to the truck. I open the back door for the littles, they jump in. I close it and sit down in the drivers seat. I Start the truck, wife’s reaching in the back helping the younger get her seat belt on. I put my hand on the gear shifter and my focus shifts to the little stretch of road between our parking spot and the exit. And there he was. My brain immediately went in to overdrive processing exactly what I was seeing. My wife as she’s turning around sees me laser focused on something, looks and immediately goes omg! Should I call 911? I pause for a moment, my brain is rapidly switching between yes and no as the reply, still processing, I blurt out dial it but wait!.

The guy!
The easiest way to describe this guy would be every meme of a guy in his grandmas basement combined. Short, slightly heavy set, bald middle aged, blank emotionless face. This guy was Pyle on full metal jacket! He is waking across the parking lot between us and the exit, he’s got a AR style rifle , magazine in, it’s not pointed up or down but he’s got it cradled stock under his arm pit, muzzle toward the store and vehicles in front of him, he’s fumbling with the charging handle with his left hand as he’s walking toward the door.

At this point a lots going thru my head, he’s almost to the door, he’s approximately 30 yards in front of our truck. It’s crazy where my brain had gone and what I was thinking. My left eye caught a guy and his wife who were presumably walking in to the store but had stopped, staring at this guy also from across the parking lot. My left hand went to the door handle, my right was a 9mm. I told my wife if I get out just drive in reverse over the curb and get out of here. Waiting for what was about to happen, I took a deep breath. As he reached the door he stopped. Pulled the magazine out, put it in his pocket and pressed the detent pin to break the gun down. My sigh of relief could probably be heard across the parking lot with my windows up. Jesus Christ man ! Buy a gun case or learn how to hold a gun! FFS.
I was in Shedhorn Sports a few days ago.
Some guy was buying a pistol for his wife.
She grabbed the firearm, worked the action with the barrel pointed down the isle right at me. Yeah, I knew it was safe, but I was ducking one isle over.

She grabbed the firearm, worked the action with the barrel pointed down the aisle right at me. Yeah, I knew it was safe, but I was ducking one isle over.

Yea seen that lots of times. Always cringe.

One time I was hiking in the breaks with one of my daughters. She was 12 at the time, first year hunting, Covid times so online hunter safety. Going up a hill and turn around to see her behind me, muzzle of her unloaded rifle pointed at my ass. I looked to her and said when people point their guns at me I have to assume they’re gonna shoot me and act accordingly. I just kept walking. We get up to the glassing spot, about 10 mins in to glassing she goes, so what was that supposed to mean? You gonna kill me or something? I go no, but I might punch you in the face. The look of disbelief in her face having her dad never spoke to her in that manner was classic. 6 hours later on the drive home she goes, you wouldn’t really hit me in the face would you? I knew it was coming! Hahaha! Idk you wouldn’t accidentally shoot me would you?

Years ago a friend of mine that I worked with bought a new revolver. He handed it to me and before I popped open the cylinder he says "careful it's loaded". Damn near ended a friendship. mtmuley

My Father in Law is gone may he rest in peace. I took him on one hunting trip and that was it. His gun handling skills were scary. Knife skills worse. mtmuley
My FIL is a non hunter/ gun owner. Periodically he tries to engage some man talk, with an air of authority. "So, what are you hunting with these days?" And then he blurts out some random numbers which are calibers in his head.🤣

My FIL is a non hunter/ gun owner. Periodically he tries to engage some man talk, with an air of authority. "So, what are you hunting with these days?" And then he blurts out some random numbers which are calibers in his head.🤣
My FIL moved his family to Montana from a state "out West". He really wanted to be an outdoors mountain guy. Just wasn't to be. mtmuley

She grabbed the firearm, worked the action with the barrel pointed down the isle right at me. Yeah, I knew it was safe, but I was ducking one isle over.
Was in there yesterday, place was a mad house.

PSA: if you’re just “cleaning” your gun or adjusting the scope when there’s people down range after we all declared it’s cold, you’re an a78hole.

I said what I said.

If you shoot on that blm north of Billings you learn to take your guns and ammo with you to adjust targets on a “cold” range.

The world I grew up in, if you touched your ammo or gun while people were down range a guy that had veins popping out of his head who was still reliving Nam was in your face speaking to you like you were 2 years old.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went to Walmart one day and before I got out of the car the guy parked in front of me got out and stuck a revolver in his hip pocket and headed towards the store. It had a 6-inch barrel so most of the gun was out of his pocket ready to fall on the ground. I thought, " I don't know what he's up to but that just isn't normal." so I went to another store to do my shopping.

PSA: if you’re just “cleaning” your gun or adjusting the scope when there’s people down range after we all declared it’s cold, you’re an asshole.

I said what I said.
I'm seeing worse than that on archery range. Guys just start walking out to pull arrows before asking anyone else if they are done (I wasn't done- the nocked arrow should have given that away). But I guess I should have known that the video they were shooting was more important than anything I was doing. :rolleyes:

Some guy here apparently shot himself accidentally … while taking out the garbage … with a loaded rifle. Safety off, finger on the trigger?

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishonfleek
Back