Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Good Neighbor: Elk Management in Montana

They allow more resident elk hunting than any ranch I’m aware of.

Yet, I doubt Mr. Blank is relying on cattle or elk to pay his bills, making it a hard comparison to ranch owners who rely on cattle or elk to pay their bills.

View attachment 343408
I think their example is a good one. The random draw element is neat, I think iv encountered a few other type 2 BMA that have a random selector as well.

Certainly unrepresentative of smaller operations but arguably PVR compared to bob anderson is a good contrast

Two opposite ends of of the social economic spectrum providing the same access opportunities. Well almost the same.

I think their example is a good one. The random draw element is neat, I think iv encountered a few other type 2 BMA that have a random selector as well.

Certainly unrepresentative of smaller operations but arguably PVR compared to bob anderson is a good contrast

Two opposite ends of of the social economic spectrum providing the same access opportunities. Well almost the same.
This got me thinking about the spectrum of landowners that participate in BM. There are clearly places FWP can focus the efforts. I’m sure even this breakdown isn’t as clean and neat as we would like.

- people that would never do it
- people that do it but not for the money
- people that do it as a civic service and the money helps a little
- people that do it solely for the money
- people that do it for the 454 elk tag

It would be a big mistake for the public to start “compensating” landowners that have elk on their property. The public should be more focused on securing long term access of public through easements and correctly managing the lands that we have available. The landowners have the elk problem the public doesn’t.

Dig into some of the 454 agreements and you will see the public is getting hosed for access to a few cows. The landowners are getting bull tags and cutting right to the front of the line.
Yup.

Which is evidence that even though landowner tags might make sense in certain parts of the state - it would get abused and corrupted in the rest of the stste.

I don't disagree with you. Just remember that the dollar amount is high because there are lots of hunters willing to pay the price. So far most of the effort to slow commercialization has been focused on the supply side of the equation. Find ways to cut demand and you will reduce the dollar amount and improve access.
I get what your saying but if you go cows only in overpopulated units the demand has to go to units that are at or below objective. This also gives outfitters a reason to help keep the cow numbers down or they will lose the chance to outfit. Demand is not going down and we don't want it to.

To this day people say that line from the poem not realizing the poem they are quoting is mocking it. Good fences don't make good neighbors. Building walls is not the way to solve the problems we have. Common ground isn't common if it has a fence through it.*

It's about darned time someone else starts letting this dimbulbs know when they use a phrase or word wrong. I salute this, as I salute those who properly use the terms cartridge and caliber. Precision in the English language is very difficult to achieve so guys like you & I need to be ready to correct jack-a-napes at every chance.

But I also only think common ground can take us so far. I still do not see how you attach money--to the rancher "incentivize" and to the hunter "monetize"--wildlife in a way that does not conflict with some deeply held values: 1) the core value that one's property is theirs to do with as they please and they do not need to accept government help if their property comes with a nuisance--but they should be compensated for that nuisance because they did not choose to have it versus 2) the deeply held value among conservationists that wildlife is owned by all, held in public trust, and does not abide by property boundaries. If the money is attached to the wildlife, then I do not see a way to reconcile these values without favoring one set of values over the other.

Attaching the money to access however, has seemed to do a heck of a lot of good for all without sacrificing anyone's values to accomplish it, i.e. Block.

Agree that making the payment a cost of gaining access is the proper course of action for the majority of landowners. However, compromise is a cornerstone of all good public policy. The idea that block management pays for the impacts of hunters makes people on one side feel good about paying for access, while on the other side, leasing becomes more attractive because of the larger pay out and the lowered amount of work to manage the access. That model has downsides as well though.

What happens when the animals are not available on a specific property during the hunting seasons, but they're around all summer in the grain field? A damage hunt may make some problems better but it's not going to be the solution that many are looking for.

Type 1 access is akin to public land - open for all to enjoy. That's awesome, but it comes with significant challenges related to animal distribution once the primers start popping. Access is part of the issue related to problematic concentrations and elk avoidance of publicly accessible lands so one person's solution is another person's headache in terms of elk movement. Further exacerbating that is the season structure that pressures elk relentlessly from August 15th until February 15th.

The discussion shouldn't simply be about access or not - it's about how elk use the landscape in total, with a large data point considering the human problem with elk concentrations. The discussion needs to include the overall issue of conservation of land, and how we ensure that both people and wildlife have the space they need to thrive ahead of more changes that aren't going to be kind to either of those.

As @seeth07 points out in the thread - more acquisition helps this and the current push from the agency to get the 40 year easements in place is a great way to introduce folks leery of conservation easements into the process and product. Given the current land board's dislike of purchasing properties or even perpetual conservation easements (Auditor Downing & Governor Gianforte are the only two consistent yes votes for these programs), then some creative solutions need to be put in the agency's toolkit.

But ultimately, reducing pressure on wildlife, creating or increasing the payout for incentives to match the market rates, and paying landowners for their conservation stewardship are all good things to consider, especially when the access that's gained works into the larger issues related to animal distribution and landscape scale conservation.

But ultimately, reducing pressure on wildlife, creating or increasing the payout for incentives to match the market rates, and paying landowners for their conservation stewardship are all good things to consider, especially when the access that's gained works into the larger issues related to animal distribution and landscape scale conservation.
If landowners are compensated market rates for damages - especially and specifically with grazing - dont you think this makes some of the existing problems worse?

If there is return on the elk being on the property - why allow access to take a revenue stream off your property?

If landowners are compensated market rates for damages - especially and specifically with grazing - dont you think this makes some of the existing problems worse?

If there is return on the elk being on the property - why allow access to take a revenue stream off your property?
MT hunts elk for 6 months out of the year and gives out a $hit-ton of tags and still can't make a dent in over-objective units. Why? 1) because objectives are ridiculously low and 2) because most of those elk don't show up on complainer ranches until after the seasons ends. Apparently, Spring grass is delicious. Unless we are going to start threads about how to cook an unborn calf into a nice soup, the answer is going to be $$$. I get that it is unpalatable. Mostly it ends up paying one traditional rancher for his rich, a-hole neighbor that likes to "harbor" elk. I think we all need to recognize reality. This argument about access-to-solve-elk-problems is nonsense. But giving the a-hole neighbor a bull tag to let some plebes on to shoot a few cow elk is also bull$hit (IMO, of course).

The discussion shouldn't simply be about access or not - it's about how elk use the landscape in total, with a large data point considering the human problem with elk concentrations.
BINGO! Ben wins again.

MT hunts elk for 6 months out of the year and gives out a $hit-ton of tags and still can't make a dent in over-objective units. Why? 1) because objectives are ridiculously low and 2) because most of those elk don't show up on complainer ranches until after the seasons ends. Apparently, Spring grass is delicious. Unless we are going to start threads about how to cook an unborn calf into a nice soup, the answer is going to be $$$. I get that it is unpalatable. Mostly it ends up paying one traditional rancher for his rich, a-hole neighbor that likes to "harbor" elk. I think we all need to recognize reality. This argument about access-to-solve-elk-problems is nonsense. But giving the a-hole neighbor a bull tag to let some plebes on to shoot a few cow elk is also bull$hit (IMO, of course).

BINGO! Ben wins again.
Who counts the elk? Or the grass they ate? If access and hunting aren't granted as part of the payment - whats the public paying for it getting in return? Why stop at elk - rabbits are known to eat a lot of crops?

Ive seen enough public land commercial use and associated management to see how and why this will be an unmanaged and unmitigated money grab.

Who counts the elk? Or the grass they ate? If access and hunting aren't granted as part of the payment - whats the public paying for it getting in return? Why stop at elk - rabbits are known to eat a lot of crops?

Ive seen enough public land commercial use and associated management to see how and why this will be an unmanaged and unmitigated money grab.
Completely agree with the thought process. I have asked the similar questions before, like how can we quantify how much grass elk eat from one time period to another and put it in terms of "loss"- cattle shipping weights? (see solutions for game damage hunts, which could be used). I can sympathize equally with the hunter who sees elk on property they can't access and with the rancher who has to bear the financial impact of elk in the six months the season is closed and allowing access is pointless. But none of that really matters. It is certainly true that some of the "complaints" about too many elk are certainly disingenuous when coming from ranchers that lease out hunting rights. But if the problem is too many elk on private, legislatively you will eventually be at gunning them down from a helicopter. In the end, I think what matters is the elk objectives. If hunters want to raise elk numbers, the objectives need to go up. Any argument around "helping" ranchers reach current objectives is silly. The easiest way to determine how to raise objectives is to ask ranchers "How much?". And yes, the solution will be abused by some. We live in an imperfect world where money will drive poor ethical decisions. But a lot of ranchers might jump on board.

Why is the public getting involved in a neighbor problem?

At this point I'm confused as to what the actual problem is? Is it traditional ranchers that have too many elk or is it access to elk for the public? It seems that the only ones who benefit from any of the proposed "solutions" are the wealthy outfitting ranches that are already doubled dipping in the economics welfare ranching and public wildlife exploitation.

I think some of you are too naive to see the public is getting fleeced.

Makes me want to hurry up this "death of the American Cowboy" movement.

At this point I'm confused as to what the actual problem is? Is it traditional ranchers that have too many elk or is it access to elk for the public? It seems that the only ones who benefit from any of the proposed "solutions" are the wealthy outfitting ranches that are already doubled dipping in the economics welfare ranching and public wildlife exploitation.

I think some of you are too naive to see the public is getting fleeced.

Makes me want to hurry up this "death of the American Cowboy" movement.
The death to the American Cowboy will likely happen in the next 20 years, barring the Lords return when all these 55-75 year old ranchers die and their properties come up for sale and only the weathly individuals that can utilize a ranch for a schedule F write off will be the ones buying them.
The American west probably never was a good place to raise cattle compared to areas of TX and OK where there is abundant rainfall, hay crops, and close areas to winter wheat fields for grazing yearlings.
I'm hoping groups like the APR or Nature Conservancy can purchase these properties and go back to wildlife areas that they were created for.
I'm personally hoping that the Lord returns to make things right again where there isn't a thing of property ownership (controlling access) to decide who camps, rides horses, picks berries or go fishing on a section of land. It's kind of crazy that we have a system of controlling public wildlife resources on private lands that belong to the citizens of that state. I don't think the creators of the NAM or the Indians before them ever had the concept of limiting access to wildlife no matter who owned the land.

The death to the American Cowboy will likely happen in the next 20 years, barring the Lords return when all these 55-75 year old ranchers die and their properties come up for sale and only the weathly individuals that can utilize a ranch for a schedule F write off will be the ones buying them.
The American west probably never was a good place to raise cattle compared to areas of TX and OK where there is abundant rainfall, hay crops, and close areas to winter wheat fields for grazing yearlings.
I'm hoping groups like the APR or Nature Conservancy can purchase these properties and go back to wildlife areas that they were created for.
I'm personally hoping that the Lord returns to make things right again where there isn't a thing of property ownership (controlling access) to decide who camps, rides horses, picks berries or go fishing on a section of land. It's kind of crazy that we have a system of controlling public wildlife resources on private lands that belong to the citizens of that state. I don't think the creators of the NAM or the Indians before them ever had the concept of limiting access to wildlife no matter who owned the land.

I can think of a half dozen or so ranch kids who I went to high school with who are now running their folks ranches. I am 40, and some of their kids are now going to school with mine.

Not necessarily disagreeing with a lot of what you wrote, but I think “death” is a strong word. The emptier parts of Montana, though affected by Montana’s boom, are still rural Montana in a lot of ways including kids running their folks ranches in a fairly unchanged way.

That’s my observation anyway. Certainly feels like massive consolidation could occur in some places.

Last edited:
The American west probably never was a good place to raise cattle ....
The Montana Stockgrowers Association would not agree with that statement. Nor would the beef industry data.
The death to the American Cowboy will likely happen in the next 20 years ...
Granted motorized cattle herding has become a viable method, however there is still a popularity with doing things on the back of a horse. In fact, the recreational and competitive venues have only increased over the past decades. My perspective may be a bit skewed because I live in an area of Montana with more and more horses and facilities every year, but there are likely more horses here than one hundred years ago, before big car dealers.
Then there's ranch rodeos, college rodeos, professional rodeos of various levels, team roping, barrel racing, reining, branding, 4H, horse racing and on and on, with horses and cowboys/cowgirls. Full disclosure, my family consists of kids and grandkids in many of those events.

Henry & Churro.jpg

Bode on Charlie.jpeg

Attachments

• Resized_20240714_195231_1721010555712 (1).jpeg
    Resized_20240714_195231_1721010555712 (1).jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:

The new elk plan eliminates the low objective numbers, so we've gotten away from the issues caused under #1 to a certain degree. #2 can be accomplished in a number of ways without going to damage payments, which have significant hurdles to clear in MT regarding diversion of PR funds under the USFWS decisions about a decade or so ago.

Estimating forage loss isn't that difficult based on existing AUM rates, etc. Counting critters gets a bit more complicated. However, only a very few people are thinking that damage payments are a good idea in addressing wildlife mgt issues. There may be a bill this session on it, but the issues of diversion, and competing interests for limited funds make that push unlikely to succeed. And to be clear - damage payments only happen if a law is passed. The recent ruling in the UPOM case was also clear that landowners have to avail themselves of the suite of options that FWP has regarding access, etc. Hazing, etc is different as there's no funds that exchange hands, just the actions to help landowners deal with problematic concentrations.

The option that has the most benefit for the public and the landowner is still the 40 year lease option through Habitat MT. That provides access to the public, provides a significant financial incentive to the landowner and helps keep ranch and farmlands complete and in the family for future generations. WHIP is another solid option here, and it also requires access as a condition for approval of grant funds. PAL agreements have opened over 500,000 acres of landlocked public land since 2019. When folks talk about improving incentives, the idea is not to create a new program but to improve existing programs to ensure that the public trust obligations are being met while providing relief for landowners who are working to reduce conflict.

At this point I'm confused as to what the actual problem is? Is it traditional ranchers that have too many elk or is it access to elk for the public?

It's a great question. Simple answer is that wildlife is managed by the state unless otherwise handed authority over to other entities (USDA/USFWS, etc) and therefore they have a statutory obligation to act. What people also tend to forget is that the Sackman & Rathbone cases both require the agency to work with a landowner to address issues such as over-abundance and distribution in an effort to ameliorate legitimate concerns. The more complex answer lies in who pulls you out of a ditch when it's 25 below and whipping wind with no cell service and the closest wrecker is 20 miles away. The actions of some have a negative impact on others. The state is charged with managing wildlife, so the state has to help find a better path forward to deal with that conflict. Ignoring it means the Legislature will take it on.

It seems that the only ones who benefit from any of the proposed "solutions" are the wealthy outfitting ranches that are already doubled dipping in the economics welfare ranching and public wildlife exploitation.
I would wager a guess that the people who have hunted those properties would say that they benefited from some of the solutions. But I'm cuirious as to which wealthy outfitting operations you're thinking of? Most of the owner-operators I know are still working low profit margins, have families working a couple of jobs, etc. Sure - wealthy properties benefit from programs like the 454 elk permits but the balance has been shifting towards the public benefit in that program (Last commission meeting previous detractors were supporting the program changes and increase in transparency, etc). If someone is leasing their property to a hunt club or outfitter, they are not eligible for a lot of FWP programs. Those folks have made a financial decision that works for them and their business model.

Wealthy people who have ranches don't need the financial incentive. They already can buy any tag they want. They've purchased ranches for reasons other than just sticking a bull or a buck. They want to be able to hunt their property. In some instances that leads to increased access that hasn't existed before, and in others it leads to greater community involvement.

Wealthy people who have ranches don't need the financial incentive. They already can buy any tag they want. They've purchased ranches for reasons other than just sticking a bull or a buck. They want to be able to hunt their property. In some instances that leads to increased access that hasn't existed before, and in others it leads to greater community involvement.
'Don't know about the rest of Montana, but in SW Montana there does not seem to be increased access or greater community involvement from wealthy people owning the big ranches with good wildlife habitat and large numbers of wildlife. I agree with the first four statements, but I just don't recognize any of those "some instances".

#2 can be accomplished in a number of ways without going to damage payments, which have significant hurdles to clear in MT regarding diversion of PR funds under the USFWS decisions about a decade or so ago.

I can get a pretty good idea of the variability in the individual cases. I would also guess that some form of a "solution" already exists. Not a perfect solution, but the right direction. Maybe the problem we have is applying the specific solution to the specific cases? WY has similar problems and has proposed many different solutions. It doesn't change the core fact that private ranches typically have the best wintering ground and the "social tolerance" regarding elk varies greatly from one fence line to another. Sprinkle in the fact that a lot of legislators will bend over backward for those that have enough zeros after the first digit in the bank balance.

'Don't know about the rest of Montana, but in SW Montana there does not seem to be increased access or greater community involvement from wealthy people owning the big ranches with good wildlife habitat and large numbers of wildlife. I agree with the first four statements, but I just don't recognize any of those "some instances".

I know of a few in your area that are starting to look at access differently as places change hands, etc but yes - there are a large number of amenity properties in SW MT that allow for zero access. There are some that allow for significant access opportunities as well. In SW MT, I know of a few amenity owners who offer free access (Blank properties, some around Dillon as FWP was able to get them to see the merit in it for cow elk) and some others that are currently engaged in programs that will help them find their best path for allowing access.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jd24
Back